HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2007, 04:42 PM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,182 Posts
Yup the old high school arithmatic. Percentage of the actual size of part. Figure your desired size and scale accordingly. I've got to make a small one now that I'm getting my hands on a MicroDan F3P. Just go negative on the size. If you look at the Clik F3P video you can hear the motor is run about 1/2 throttle to 3/4 throttle most of the routine(except downlines). The larger one seems to mimick that power curve. Usually don't drop below 1/2 throttle most of the flight except during elevators,harriers etc. I'm using the 13 x 4E so that's not going to give me a lot of speed but it pulls well.

After about a dozen hard flights over the last week(what, blenders do damage? ), I found some stress fractures starting of course on the aileron line and top of fuse in front of canopy and below it. Will post some pics after some reinforcements are added. These are the usual foamie "stress spots" so nothing new there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussD
Great thread lads !!!

How did you lot scale up the parts... just measure and multiply???

Russ.
3Deranged is offline Find More Posts by 3Deranged
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussD
How did you lot scale up the parts... just measure and multiply???
LOL, I've never been too keen on math but I can draft and draw on a computer! I took the ClickMantaIndex image from one of the sticky threads in the indoor forum and traced it in a vector drawing package. That way I could blow it up and engineer it for keying parts together. Takes a bit of time but for me, better to make a mistake on the computer than trying to fix a bad cut.

I just wish I could share the plans with everyone, David K just hasnt OKd it yet. I don't blame him, I'd hate to have the Chinese cloners start manufacturing Click knock offs and selling them.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
I just take pics of the parts and scale the images up or down with an image editor on the PC. I add registration lines on the parts to match up when I print the individual pages. I have a 13x19 inch printer and that helps with the number of pages. Not real precise, but I smooth it out when I cut it and they come out fine. Foamies ain't rocket science
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Aug 18, 2007, 07:09 AM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Word I got was David K was OK with clones IF his website address and the model name where displayed prominently on the model, like the production versions do
Once I've finalized mine I'm going to "badge" it
I also painted mine to resemble the production plane to aid in that recognition
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Old Aug 18, 2007, 08:35 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,182 Posts
I think I mentioned that to everyone who asked for the plans. Hey, I can understand about the advertising and marketing concerns. It's hard enough to try and maintain a manufacturing business, much less having the competition profiting off of your hard work. My next version will include some "badging" to show my appreciation for such a nice design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
Word I got was David K was OK with clones IF his website address and the model name where displayed prominently on the model, like the production versions do
Once I've finalized mine I'm going to "badge" it
I also painted mine to resemble the production plane to aid in that recognition
Old Aug 18, 2007, 09:32 AM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
EDF,
Think your initial high amp draw is the same thing Im getting- both caused by needing low pitch props for the low speed and need for lotsa thrust to overcome the high drag
On the EF Extra, the prop unloaded a bunch cause the Extras stall speed is about 2x the Clik!s cruising speed.
So I'm ordering a couple of Graupner 4 pitch props and some APC slowflys too, while Im at it I'll get some big "sticks" for my AXI just incase I decide BIG watts are needed here. That Medusa Wattmeter looks good too...
And as a last resort I'll order up some 4S packs...that ought to make her right spunky
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:34 AM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Just about finished with the details...have to order some 3mm CF to replace the LG but for now:
SFGs installed
Sawtooth LE installed
Basswood Belly skid/keel installed
Elevator servo replaced
Control Horns remounted on either CF or plywood load spreaders
EPP tip inserts installed
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:55 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,182 Posts
Nice touch with the sawtooth detail. I've started seeing more of those on 3D foamies and pattern planes too. Everybody is trying stuff now to slow down and control the flight regime more, good thing!
Quote:
Just about finished with the details...have to order some 3mm CF to replace the LG but for now:
SFGs installed
Sawtooth LE installed
Basswood Belly skid/keel installed
Elevator servo replaced
Control Horns remounted on either CF or plywood load spreaders
EPP tip inserts installed
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,182 Posts
Amp draw on 4s is down to 38amps on the 13 x 4. For this plane the motor is just barely enough for my tastes and the recommended 12 x 6(4s) didn't cut the mustard. The lower pitch/larger diameter seemed to do the trick and it also works out to the old 1/4 prop diameter:wingspan ratio. I would pick the Scorpion 3020 series next time just for a little more power. Finding out on these "larger" foamies that with the drag there needs to be a little more HP to make them fly well.
Quote:
EDF,
Think your initial high amp draw is the same thing Im getting- both caused by needing low pitch props for the low speed and need for lotsa thrust to overcome the high drag
On the EF Extra, the prop unloaded a bunch cause the Extras stall speed is about 2x the Clik!s cruising speed.
So I'm ordering a couple of Graupner 4 pitch props and some APC slowflys too, while Im at it I'll get some big "sticks" for my AXI just incase I decide BIG watts are needed here. That Medusa Wattmeter looks good too...
And as a last resort I'll order up some 4S packs...that ought to make her right spunky
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:37 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2001
472 Posts
Big foamie motors

I'm using a Scorpion 3020-12 with a 12x6 APC-e prop on a 3S2100 TP Pro-Lites. It's pulling about 38 amps at WOT, which almost never happens on my 55" BigAss Foamie YAK. With the AUW weight at about 38 oz's, it has plenty of power to punch out of hover.

Mike
electric-2000 is offline Find More Posts by electric-2000
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 18, 2007, 05:02 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,182 Posts
One of my friends has the Scorpion 3020 xx for the upcoming Element F3A and the Scorpion Commander 55 ESC with it. Can't wait to test it out(just need the airframe now ) Killer specs and price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric-2000
I'm using a Scorpion 3020-12 with a 12x6 APC-e prop on a 3S2100 TP Pro-Lites. It's pulling about 38 amps at WOT, which almost never happens on my 55" BigAss Foamie YAK. With the AUW weight at about 38 oz's, it has plenty of power to punch out of hover.

Mike
Old Aug 18, 2007, 09:01 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
CliXL! 44"

OK, here is where I am at on my Click! 44" build. Not the fanciest paint job but it works for orientation and whatnot. Oldest boy was happy to 'demo' it. He makes a good scale reference and looks cute with my other 'offspring'!

Electronics coming. I'm photoblogging the build at my rcg blog page.

Bare airframe is 398g, 14.04oz
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Last edited by ToxicToast; Aug 18, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 09:49 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Lookin good TT
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,182 Posts
Looks good TT! What powerplant are you going with?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:48 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
I think that looks pretty sharp TT.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW