HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Aug 2005
551 Posts
Gotcha - if you're just going for drag, not much of the above applies. You should still get a bit more performance out of them if they're triangular, though, and they shouldn't hurt your control surface authority.
Jeremy Sebens is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Sebens
Last edited by Jeremy Sebens; Jun 25, 2007 at 12:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:53 AM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
The plane can use all the above, control authority and drag. So I'll make them larger, more triangular and more of them. Have to leave the tops a little flat for strength. I can see a lot of points getting broken off(dang depron). Off to the LHS, need some more 6mm. Faster,torquier servos would help a lot too. They definitely helped out some on the downlines compared to without them. So looks like I'm headed in the right direction. Just don't want to have 2 slabs of swiss cheese in the breeze if I can help it. May add a plate to the rear of the rudder too if the votex generators(did I get it right?) aren't going to be enough.
3Deranged is offline Find More Posts by 3Deranged
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:23 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Aug 2005
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfrules
votex generators(did I get it right?)
Well, you lost an r (vortex), but close enough!

(Half the time, I end up typing "votex" and then having to correct it!)

Isn't it odd that most people in flight are striving to reduce drag, but for freestyle and pattern, we're usually looking for ways to add it?!
Jeremy Sebens is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Sebens
Old Jun 25, 2007, 01:40 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
Personally trying to teach myself 3D/pattern. This plane flies slow enough to be able to transition from manuever to manuever smoothly and predictably without trying to keep up. Guess when you get old and slow, you need something as slow as thought to help you thru it! I can see the logic in keeping your flight envelope the same speed all the way thru. It looks totally precision. Guess that's what we're all striving for. Started on some more vortex generators(got it right that time!). Looks like I'm trying to do 2 things at once. Slow it down yet maintain contollability. I think the VG's will help out a lot. Blake said they weren't enough to slow the downlines to the point where they should be, but they did stablilize the plane even more. Didn't want to overload the motor trying to drag too much braking surface thru the air. Figured on this one go small and work my way up. Cracks me up you can tape surfaces on a 2+lb plane and they will stay on even straight down! Expect to see the next set taped on too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens
Well, you lost an r (vortex), but close enough!

(Half the time, I end up typing "votex" and then having to correct it!)

Isn't it odd that most people in flight are striving to reduce drag, but for freestyle and pattern, we're usually looking for ways to add it?!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
New VG's on the Clik

Had some 3mm depron left so decided to make some more test vortex generators for the Clik XL. They will be replaced with 6mm sets if they work. Here's some pics. Will try and test soon as I can carve some time from work probably this weekend. They should be in the ballpark as they have about 3 times the area of the last ones and the last set slowed the downlines to more constant speed. If not I'll add some more flat plate(smaller area) to the outside of the ailrerons and rudder. Let the testing resume...oh, more video soon too.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 04:17 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
MORE CLIK XL TESTING video

Did some more prop testing and trying to determine whether the size and number of vortex generators is working. Had some intermittent ESC problems that was traced to a hairline crack in a prop. So the 3D is a little limited. Decided to throw a couple of extra minutes at the end of some pattern too. All in good fun. The 13 x 4 prop seems to work the best. Will have to grab a couple more APC's and try a Xoar wooden e-prop too. More later...
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/DPK4YGFXMSKHC8FY
Old Aug 05, 2007, 01:07 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
Looks like some guys have been busy! Nice work. Let's see some more build pics and videos! Don't forget to try the dogtooth leading edges and SFG's too. They really help out a lot.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 02:13 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
What can we say, EDF, we've just been completely 'inspired'! Thanks for paving the way with the XL stuff. Dogtooth and SFGs are on the way.....
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Aug 05, 2007, 02:32 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
Cool dealio. I quess the next little improvement I'd like to do is the addition of LG. Not really needed but the larger one will get some gear for sure. I think Tetherite fiberglass profile gear might fit the bill. Graphtech also looks like they do profile carbon gear too. Of course the usual ply/wire gear will work on our "smaller" ones. Also servo placement seems to be needed as far forward as possible. This design needs all the equipment mass forward. Should have done a pull-pull on the rudder too, but had some carbon tube for a pushrod so there ya' go. I chose the carbon rod reinforcements over the beveled foam diagnols on the fuse approach. I don't like flex and you can see there's not much flex at all on the videos. That's what's nice about this design, it's open to interpretation and personal touches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToast
What can we say, EDF, we've just been completely 'inspired'! Thanks for paving the way with the XL stuff. Dogtooth and SFGs are on the way.....
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:54 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Painted

Ok, while I'll have some touchup to do the painting is basically done..
notch in wingtip will be filled with EPP to match...material was an inch short
hopefully tomorrow I'll get some CF on the LF and TE then I can glue the wings on, one at a time then hinge elevator
then CF struts and LG
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Last edited by crossup; Aug 05, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:44 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
For added drag have you thought about adding strips perpendicular to the TE of the ailerons? I've seen the indoor foamie guys do this.

Looks really cool, btw!

I have the same Torque motor and a 4S 2170 pack from my EF Yak. That motor spins too fast on 4s for a good hover. I never tried the 13x6.5 figuring it would cook something. The 13x4 was reallllyyy slow in the pitch speed. 12x6 is fast and harder to hover.
CatchmyCorsair is offline Find More Posts by CatchmyCorsair
Old Aug 05, 2007, 11:54 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
13 x 4 works on my plane. Tried all the above props. Either wrong pitch, too much prop(ESC getting hot) or not enough pull. The 13 x 4 is just about right for my plane weight and size. You're not going to go real fast with this one anyway. This one's all about S-L-O-W. I'm getting a little too fearless(careless) with my low upright to inverted harrier transititons now because you can do it so slow and right on the deck without too much drama. The 2814/820 was just right for this size/weight/drag. But that being said the Scorpion 3020-14 looks about right for my next motor. I'm also going back to smaller VG's, just adding more. Seemed to work better with more smaller ones installed than the larger ones.

BTW: Nice paint job! When in Rome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchmyCorsair
For added drag have you thought about adding strips perpendicular to the TE of the ailerons? I've seen the indoor foamie guys do this.

Looks really cool, btw!

I have the same Torque motor and a 4S 2170 pack from my EF Yak. That motor spins too fast on 4s for a good hover. I never tried the 13x6.5 figuring it would cook something. The 13x4 was reallllyyy slow in the pitch speed. 12x6 is fast and harder to hover.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 03:24 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,188 Posts
'Nother Clik XL video

Here's another video I took of my friend Blake messing around Wallaby Ranch. Enjoy!

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/N4420CJR85Y03LT0
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:48 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
88 Posts
ToxicToast , Sent PM
RV6-A is offline Find More Posts by RV6-A
Old Aug 07, 2007, 07:33 AM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Picts this evening with wings installed...normally no biggie but you have to see(like ToxicT's) how big the fuse is compared to the wings
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup