HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:14 AM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Discussion
Clik XL 52" wingspan (New Flight Test Video added...)

Made a testbed for a 80-100" Clik F3P type foamie. This design translates well from indoor feather to heavier outdoor 3D/pattern flyer. Thought the weight would be a factor(42oz ) but it's still a floater. Handled 10mph winds on the maiden no problem. Needs a little braking on the downlines as anticipated so I'll be adding some boundary layer additions. Couple of minor issues to work on but this plane flies great. Harriers upright and inverted, no wing rock. Elevators go straight down no power, no wing rock. Did I mention no wing rock? Hovers are locked in, I'm sure I could mess with the CG and get it even better. Transitions are smooth and going into a wall is more pivotal than arcing. Flat spins nice even with the SFG's on the outer wing. Sweet! KE's require 3deg. to no rudder input. With the more than generous side area it will KE itself. Had to tone the rudder down big time. For a "throw it together as see how it flies" plane, it's the bomb diggity! My new 3D/pattern beater plane. Foam sheets are cheap and making another airframe or 2 won't break the bank. My friend Blake already has some grass stains on the top of the rudder(after about 2 min. of flight!) Can't say enough about the flight characteristics. Stay tuned for some video...
3Deranged is offline Find More Posts by 3Deranged
Last edited by edfrules; Oct 28, 2007 at 02:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:58 AM
Joined Sep 2003
83 Posts
Nice work ! I built the indoor Clik and love the way it flys. Precision but with the ability to cut up. Great upright and inverted harrier.

What motor are you running ?

Dorin Luck
dorjes is offline Find More Posts by dorjes
Old Jun 22, 2007, 09:19 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
OK, now that is just super-cool! I haven't built any blucor planes in long time, but that may just force me to break out the bundle in the attic and go for it. Well done!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Thats pretty dang neat----you dont realize how big it is until you see it next to your dx.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
Omaha, NE
Joined Dec 2005
461 Posts
Thats pretty cool man rerally nice job I look forward to see the video.....
Upside-Down is offline Find More Posts by Upside-Down
Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:26 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Thanks guys,its just a rough sloppy job on this one to test it out. Next one will look cooler. Flew it today about 4 times and WOW!!! Really controllable, no white knuckle stuff here. Still ESC is getting to 134deg hanging in the breeze. That was with a 13 x 6.5 on 4s. Didn't fly as nice on 3s and the 14 x 7. Of couse it's only 95deg out and 100% humidity. the heat sink is smokin'! Have to try it out in cooler conditions. I can't wait to make the big one now!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
sweeeeeet!
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:44 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorjes
Nice work ! I built the indoor Clik and love the way it flys. Precision but with the ability to cut up. Great upright and inverted harrier.

What motor are you running ?

Dorin Luck
Running the Torque 2814/820 on 4s TP 2070's. 2/3 throttle is really the most you need for decent vertical. Going to have to do some tweaking on the airframe to save some weight now. That might help keep the ESC cooler.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
OK, now that is just super-cool! I haven't built any blucor planes in long time, but that may just force me to break out the bundle in the attic and go for it. Well done!
Made this one out of the 1/2 inch thick stuff for simplicity. Like to see how you would make the fuse lighter. Probably go with a blucor/depron sandwich with the skeleton frame on the inside? I may try to shave some weight by cuttin circles out of the rudder,ailerons and elevator then covering with Solite. Trying not to tax the ESC by shaving some weight would probably be a good idea.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:26 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
3 layer sandwich with a swiss-cheese core.

Mmmmmm....cheese sandwich...
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:32 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Hurry, someone fire up the CNC cutter! Mmmm...swiss cheese sandwich...
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:20 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Aug 2005
492 Posts
I dig this bigtime.
Jeremy Sebens is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Sebens
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:29 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Clik XL video

Wouldn't you know as soon as the flight started the wind started really gusting to over 20mph by the end of the flight. The Clik XL handled it very well(thank to Blakes' thumbs). Sorry there's not as much 3D on the vid the wind sort of took the fun out of that. Promise to get some vid of the Clik in better conditions. I'm having a blast with the way the Clik slowflies and it presents well in close. Also tested out the turbulators by taping them on. Good thing=there needs to be more of them,more of a toe in(45 deg) and they need to be larger. Also tested out 13 x 4 prop as the 13 x 6.5 was doing a number on the ESC. Seems to give a more constant speed now and doesn't tax the controller. Also moved the motor and pack forward 1-1/4" to help tracking. Also probably could benefit from some larger servos. More testing and better 3D video soon....enjoy!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1365181
Old Jun 25, 2007, 08:42 AM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Aug 2005
492 Posts
Fair warning - I'm about to go into a rather lengthy discussion of these things:

Actually, those are vortex generators, not turbulators. The idea is still the same, though - energize the boundary layer to make it stay attached better, and add drag while you're at it. A turbulator is usually a piece of wire or tape glued to the surface - the edge trips the flow turbulent. These things are little delta wings making leading-edge vortices (see more on this later in the post)

If you're trying to add drag, they're just fine where they are. If you're trying to increase the control surface authority by making the flow stay attached better, you can move them back to just ahead of the hinge line, and they'll still do just as good a job (maybe better).

Also, to make them more effective, both at energizing the boundary layer, and at generating drag, make them pure triangles. Basically, a vortex generator should be a small delta wing at a high angle of attack. Delta wings generate a leading edge vortex - basically one large vortex that follows the entire leading edge of the delta:

This vortex likes to stay attached, and it's why the F/A/18 has a strake ahead of the wing - to generate a bound shoulder vortex that will stay attached at high angles of attack.

(A cool discussion of this effect and the problem of "breakdown" )

You can get the same effect with these if they're triangular. Right now, you're going to be getting a vortex that is bound to the wing from the tapered part of the generator, but the flat part will either generate a separation region, or a vortex that isn't attached to the wing - neither one does you as much good as an bound vortex. The vortex generators can be the same height - just taper them more steeply, and you'll get nice big fat bound vortices that should wake up your control surfaces and add skin friction drag to the plane.

On full scale aircraft, vortex generators are almost always used to make flow stay attached where it might otherwise separate - usually either just ahead of the max thickness of the airfoil, or just ahead of the hingeline. Like this:

I'm not being critical in the least - just trying to help with tuning.
Jeremy Sebens is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Sebens
Old Jun 25, 2007, 08:54 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Thanks for the tips Jeremy. I can use some help in the aerodynamics dept! That's my online motto"Aerodynamically challenged"! Just trying to slow the downlines and provide constant speed. This is an area I haven't delved into before. Airfoils and wingshapes I've played around with but surface devices are a whole 'nother ballgame. Anyone got a wind tunnel?