Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:48 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,772 Posts
Discussion
How do you build an aero EPP tail fin?

In the pursuit of more (theoretical) DS speed, I'm interested in replacing the corro fin on my Bat with something more aerodynamic, while retaining some robustness. I've seen on the Steve Drake web site that he makes an EPP tail fin for the GULP DS, but there aren't any details of how it's done (shaped, stiffened, attached etc).

Does anyone have a tried and proven method of making an EPP fin ie strengthing it, fastening it, covering it etc? I have a linisher (bench belt sander) so I can shape EPP OK, and I have considered making a split-fin that I would glue onto either side of (sanwich) the existing corro one. Alternatives?

Cheers

Kahn
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I would do the sandwich method, it works well. this way you retain the rigidity of the corro and the epp skin doesn't add much weight.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:41 PM
Speedy Tree Surgeon
Tiverton,Devon,UK
Joined May 2006
680 Posts
Hi Kahn,
Here's a link to how i made an epp fin.Hope this helps.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=epp+sniper

Tim
avago is offline Find More Posts by avago
Last edited by avago; Jun 22, 2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: change the link