to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:17 AM
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriggs
It is probably about time I told you about my machine. I built a Routezilla II from plans I got at http://www.kleinbauer.com. John Kleinbauer is one of the first people to offer plans for build it yourself CNC Projects. He currently offers 15 different plans which range from CNC mills, router, 4th axis and driver boards. All the CNC plans in John's collection cost $36 (money order or check only. US and Canada).

The Routezilla II was designed to meet peoples desire for a larger Router. The
Routezilla has a 18" X 40" bed with a 12" X 26" X 2" cutting area. The machine was designed to cut out Doll House parts, Lawn Art and other craft parts at a faster rate than John's other machines. This design is for the experienced builders only because John left several details to the builder that he normally details in his plans. I didn't find this to be a short coming for my build. John developed this project online and showed details of the completed project before he had completed the plans. Several people copied the design so John released the plans as is.......

I like many things about the Routezilla II. The only thing I wish for is more Z travel. I toyed with expanding the Z axis but after looking it over for a while, I realized that this would involve several design changes. Besides, most router bits are 2" cut length or less.
I just found out that John Kleinbauer has changed his policy and now sells his plans worldwide..... Originally John only sold to North America because the materials were readily available in the correct sizes.... John make good designs based on hardware store products. If you want a machine that works, his designs are a good start. Plans are cheap at $36 for a printed manual.

http://www.kleinbauer.com.

Bill
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:14 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Mach 3

Mach 3 is perhaps one of the best values in CNC control software available. Mach 3 is very flexible software. It can be used to control a lathe, router, Mill, robot, hexapod, laser, and just about any thing controlled by motors.

Here are a few of Mach 3's features.

MACH 3 FEATURES

* Converts a standard PC to a fully featured CNC controller.
* Up to 6 axis cnc control
* Allows direct import of DXF BMP JPG and HPGL.
* Visual G-Code display
* Generates G-code
* Spindle speed control
* Multiple relay control
* Manual pulse generation
* Includes multiple wizards
* Video display of machine
* Touch screen ability
* Full screen eligibility
* Digitizing

Mach3 is available from ArtSoft products http://www.artofcnc.com. It is released in two versions, a Lockdown version, and a development update version. The development update version contains feature currently under development (Beta). The LockDown version is recommended for new users, or people test driving the software. Mach 3 has a generous trial package which is fully functioning version, limited to 500 lines of Gcode. Best of all Mach 3 is inexpensive at just $159 it is a real bargain.

Next I will take you through the downloading of Mach 3 and it's initial setup.
Old Mar 06, 2008, 08:28 PM
Will work for heli's
Bend, OR.
Joined Mar 2005
2,057 Posts
Bill,

Really looking forward to your write up on Mach3, but I think I'll be going EMC2.

Linux based, sitting on a real-time kernel, not to mention free

seems like it is well supported as well.

-Doug
Dogwoodtheone is offline Find More Posts by Dogwoodtheone
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:11 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
I am just starting to look at cad programs and cnc machines and would like to get into this area. Dumb question time, what do programs like Mach 3 and TurboCAD actually do? Do the programs do the design of your product, AND control the cnc machine to do the cuts? Or, am I needing two separate programs for the two functions? First one to stop laughing can post a reply.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Mar 06, 2008, 11:26 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC
I am just starting to look at cad programs and cnc machines and would like to get into this area. Dumb question time, what do programs like Mach 3 and TurboCAD actually do? Do the programs do the design of your product, AND control the cnc machine to do the cuts? Or, am I needing two separate programs for the two functions? First one to stop laughing can post a reply.
Frank.

Read Post 118. 3 pieces of software are used.

1. A drawing program
2. A Gcode generator Cam
3. A Motor driver

Some programs will do more than one of these tasks. Mach3 with Lazycam can do all the functions. VCarve Pro can do everything but drive the motors. Dolphin cam with Linkmotion can do all three. There are many other programs to choose from.

Bill
Old Mar 08, 2008, 11:25 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
New program announced

Just thought I would point out a new program that recently became available from the folks at Vectric. VCarve Pro now has a little brother. CUT 2D is now available and it is tailor made to cut out foamies and wing ribs. I downloaded the trial version and it is easy to use and works well. The program costs about $150 and is worth it. Check it out.

http://www.vectric.com

http://vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/cut2D/c2d_index.htm

Bill
Last edited by bgriggs; Mar 08, 2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2008, 02:49 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Screen shot

I wanted to show what can be done with Cut 2D in about 2 minutes.
http://www.vectric.com
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:39 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
How to get Mach 3

Mach 3 demo version is a fully functional program. It will process up to 500 lines of G-code at a time. To upgrade to the full version cost $159. The license to Mach 3 entitles the owner to install Mach 3 on every CNC machine they own (please don't share).

To get Mach 3 follow the link below. http://www.machsupport.com/artsoft/d.../downloads.htm
There are several versions available for download. I suggest you use the current Lock down version. Other versions are newer but untested.

After you choose a version and download it to your computer, you must run the install program. After the install program completes, TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER and REBOOT BEFORE RUNNING MACH3. If you don't do this Mach3 won't work right.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
Oulunsalo/Oulu, Finland
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
How's the project going? I just ordered the same set of electrical hardware from HobbyCNC (same motors and everything, bumped into this message after making the order) to see what I can achieve with it. The mechanical side is still an open issue, as there's the option of automating a commercially made 3-axis mill or designing and building the mechanics also by myself. I study mechanical engineering with mechatronics as my major, so this could well be a project I could also get some kind of credit out of for a course or two..

-Sale
Sauli Sarkka is offline Find More Posts by Sauli Sarkka
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:30 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
940 Posts
cnc The mechanical

no the mechanical side a sum drawings of cnc routers that help me to put my router together i ended up using MDF mostly
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:51 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauli Sarkka
How's the project going? I just ordered the same set of electrical hardware from HobbyCNC (same motors and everything, bumped into this message after making the order) to see what I can achieve with it. The mechanical side is still an open issue, as there's the option of automating a commercially made 3-axis mill or designing and building the mechanics also by myself. I study mechanical engineering with mechatronics as my major, so this could well be a project I could also get some kind of credit out of for a course or two..

-Sale
Sale,

There are many plans available for router tables. Look at the webposts and decide which machine best fits your needs and order the plans. Then the trick is to build the machine. Many people gather parts for ever and never start construction..... Here are a few that I know work well. There are many, many more good plans out there.

http://kleinbauer.com/
http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/cnc-router-plans/
http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43894
http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17279
http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6054
http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38220
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:59 PM
Oulunsalo/Oulu, Finland
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
I was "smart" enough to grab the plans from HobbyCNC, since the extra 20-odd bucks isn't all that much on top of the hundreds spent on the electronics and shipping - even if I only get bits and pieces of information to use. Kleber's site is also familiar, lots of useful ideas and design there as well.

My goal is to machine wood, plastics and some aluminum, as well as PCBs. The 305 oz-in steppers should be able to handle some thin aluminum cuts, going slow - but I'm planning on building removable motor mounts, so the machine can be configured to use even larger motors for tougher jobs. Metalworking, however, limits the machine to a metal structure (which isn't a problem, really, since I can make parts at the university), but the cost goes up with that..

I'll keep you posted

-Sale
Old Apr 01, 2008, 02:27 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
940 Posts
CNC at its best

that is right just saving parts you end up with a shed full of parts the trick is to put all the info in to good use

my cnc is running on the hobby 200 steppers and i had to gear them down for moor torque so it runs at a slower rate but if i cut alu it is a bones as alu will clog the cuter if you try to cut to fast

i built most of my cnc with MDF as the cost of alu if expensive and MDF can do the same job the only thing i think is a must is get commercial liner rails all this gas pip tubing is OK but it is hard to setup and can cost as much as the real thing
but as i said get all the info and sort through it good luck

just sum photo of what you can do with it
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Last edited by dpot; Apr 01, 2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 07:07 AM
Oulunsalo/Oulu, Finland
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
Thanks for those encouraging pictures, dpot. If I start to make a list of all the things I should be doing with the machine-to-be, I run out of paper too easily. Just today I was etching a double-sided PCB for a microcontrolled reptile egg incubator heating system and tought that it would be a little nicer to just toss a blank copperclad on the worktable and press Enter..

Lots of impressive modeling and such should also happen fairly painlessly, once everything is dialed in properly.

-Sale