Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 28, 2007, 06:46 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceship13
ill have mine done by this weekend ready to run. but theres one question.? as a new cnc operator who or where do i get a newbies cnc soft? forget the big bucks one . easiest to operate is best. thanks
For cutting foam cores, this seems to be the one:

http://www.foamwork.net/
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:54 AM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
857 Posts
Hey bgriggs,

Keep it coming. I'd like to see how do you interface this board with your computer and do some jobs.

Regards,
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:00 PM
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
BS250P Mosfets Q1-Q8

Next I added the BS250P Mosfets to the board at Q1 - Q8. These Mosfets are shaped just like the silkscreen spot on the board so they will be easy to identify. The Mosfets case is orientated to align with the board image. Trim the leads.
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:09 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
10uF 50V Capacitors C8-C11

Next came the 10uF 50V Capacitors C8-C11. The can of the capacitors has a negative sign "-" printed on the side. The shorter lead leg of the capacitor corresponds with the negative side of the capacitor. Place the capacitor on the board with the longer leg in the hole marked with a plus sign "+" and the negative leg in the other hole. After you have double checked the polarity, solder the capacitor in place and then trim the leads.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
100uF 16V Capcitors C15-C18

Next came the larger 100uF 16V Capacitors C15-C18. The orientation is the same as C8-C11. Long lead in the "+" hole.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:29 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriggs
The next step in the construction was to install resistors R9-R12 and solder them in place. These are 100K resistors and they are color banded Brown, Black, Yellow, Gold. After each step in the build I checked the solder joints under a magnifying glass. It is easier to find a cold solder joint as you add parts to the board, rather than checking the entire board in one session.
Bill, do you have any Macro pictures of the soldering joint? are you adding flux to the joint before you solder and if so, how are you applying it?

Thank you again

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb
Bill, do you have any Macro pictures of the soldering joint? are you adding flux to the joint before you solder and if so, how are you applying it?

Thank you again

Jose
Good question. I will take some macro photos of the solder joints and post them.

I use a Rosin core solder I get from Radio there is no real reason to add flux (rosin) to the joint since a small amount is already in the solder. I have already assembled the board so ther is'nt really any opportunity todo a solder demo on the board. I will try to work something up though.

Bill
Old Jul 01, 2007, 08:12 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Potentiometers VR1 - VR4

The potentiometer VR1-VR4 are installed next. The legs of the Pot are curved and may require finesse to slip them in the holes. After they are soldered in place make sure to trim the leads.
Old Jul 01, 2007, 08:22 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Jumper Header Pins J1-J4

Soldering the 2x4 Header pins to the board takes a little thought. Dave Rigotti recomends you install the jumper/shunts to the long side of the header first. If you do this and lay the board upside down, flat on the shunts they are easier to solder.
Last edited by bgriggs; Jul 01, 2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2007, 08:30 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
DB25 connector P1

Possibly the hardest part to solder onto the board is the DB25 connector. The pin spacing is very close together and requires a steady hand and a good set of eyes to accomplish. I perfer to alternate solder joints from one end of the top row to the opposite end of the bottom row working in from the outside. This prevents heat from building up on one area of the board, possibly warping it or worse, lifting a pad. I also find that using this method reduces the chance of bridging a solder joint because the joint has already colled by the time you get back to it.
Old Jul 02, 2007, 08:20 AM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Bill, I hope you continue past board assembly and go into the actual mechanics of hooking this system up to a CNC foam cutter or router.

Thanks for this thread, I've been considering getting one of these setups from you, bu was intimidated by the work involved in making it work! It doesn't look so bad now!
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Jul 02, 2007, 11:10 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_newton
Bill, I hope you continue past board assembly and go into the actual mechanics of hooking this system up to a CNC foam cutter or router.

Thanks for this thread, I've been considering getting one of these setups from you, bu was intimidated by the work involved in making it work! It doesn't look so bad now!
I intend to show it all the way to motors spinning and mounted.

Bill
Old Jul 02, 2007, 02:18 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
hmmm..just realized that you aren't the guy selling them after rereading the first post. ooops!

I still say YAY!
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Jul 02, 2007, 06:22 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_newton
hmmm..just realized that you aren't the guy selling them after rereading the first post. ooops!

I still say YAY!
Nah, I'm not the guy who makes them. If I were designing electric circuits they wouldn't work . It takes a real pro to develope a product like this.

Bill
Old Jul 02, 2007, 06:37 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Will Newton stumbles into the room and glad to see you here Will

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual