Bill
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:06 PM
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
I started gathering together some more info for this thread but as I did so I realized that some of the needs may have changed since I began writing this thread. I occurred to me that i might be giving folk the info I want to give but not what they need.......

So I am asking anyone who is still looking through this thread, what do you want to see that I haven't covered yet? Do you want to see more about the software? Hardware? Maybe selecting a machine? Buy or Build????? 3D printing?

Please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Bill
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:10 AM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2004
163 Posts
Cnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
I started gathering together some more info for this thread but as I did so I realized that some of the needs may have changed since I began writing this thread. I occurred to me that i might be giving folk the info I want to give but not what they need.......

So I am asking anyone who is still looking through this thread, what do you want to see that I haven't covered yet? Do you want to see more about the software? Hardware? Maybe selecting a machine? Buy or Build????? 3D printing?

Please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Bill
I WOULD LIKE A HOT WIRE CNC COMPLETE PACKAGE. DRIVERS BREAK OUT BOX,COMP. INTERFACE. NOW??
RAPPTORS is offline Find More Posts by RAPPTORS
Old May 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
driver question

I'm planning to built a 20x20 CNC router table and I'm leaning towards using the HobbyCNC pro driver. I wanted to know how well the one you built was working and if there's anything you would change?

And thanks for the all the info you've already provided.

-Andy
obsydian is offline Find More Posts by obsydian
Old May 03, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsydian View Post
I'm planning to built a 20x20 CNC router table and I'm leaning towards using the HobbyCNC pro driver. I wanted to know how well the one you built was working and if there's anything you would change?

And thanks for the all the info you've already provided.

-Andy
I am still using the same controller I built at the beginning of this thread. It has been rock solid. If I changed anything it would be to use solid state limit switches instead of micro switches. Hall affect sensors are cheap and work well.

Bill
Old May 06, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2005
112 Posts
A mod to consider

Here's a link to a mod I am going to apply to a pro board I am going build for my next CNC machine (a Cast Joes in 4 X 2 format):
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/joes_c...c_-_mach3.html
mlmcquiggjr is offline Find More Posts by mlmcquiggjr
Old May 07, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2005
112 Posts
Hall Effect Limit Switch Tutorial

Here is a pdf for building your own hall effect limit switches.
mlmcquiggjr is offline Find More Posts by mlmcquiggjr
Old May 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Helping Students Build a CNC Router Table

I recently helped Students make a CNC Router table. I (Bill Griggs) was invited to advise the S.U.N.Y. Morrisville Mechanical Engineering Technology programs with the Capstone project assignment. The project assignment was to design and build a CNC Router table for manufacture. The M.E.T. program focuses on Engineering with an eye towards manufacturing. Students learn the design, engineering and machining skills needed for a career in manufacturing.

My neighbor told the instructors about my machine (a highly modified Joes CNC 4x4 Hybrid with my own design Rack & Pinion Z axis). They asked to come and see the machine and that later turned into an invitation to advise on the engineering project at their college.

I worked with three groups of students and the instructors to complete the CNC Table. Each team was responsible for the design and construction of one axis of the machine along with other shared team assignments. We provided the students with a sets of plans for the Joescnc Hybrid and a set of plans for my Warp Drive Z axis. Based on these two designs the students were then given a set of additional criteria and asked to design a machine to fit those specs.With some mild coaching from the staff and I work progressed nicely.

There were many bumps along the way but the teams pulled it together and came up with a really solid design. I was very happy to be involved in the project. I learned at least as much as the students did. It is not every day you get to play with a Haas Machining center, Bridgeport mills and lathes.

If you would like a bit more info on this project you can check out my blog post at http://www.makermasters.com/students...c-router-table. There are also links to some videos of the project there

Capstone Project - Students Make A CNC Router Table (10 min 18 sec)

Bill.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,515 Posts
NICE story... That is a lot to accomplish in a semester.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
NICE story... That is a lot to accomplish in a semester.
Thanks,

You are so right. I think the key was starting with proven designs and then adapting them to fit your design goals.

Bill
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
I am writing a tutorial series about making a CNC sign. If anyone is interested, I go through all the steps from taking a picture to painting a sign. Part six was posted today Making a Toolpath.

Bill
Last edited by bgriggs; Sep 02, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
Thanks Bill, appreciate the link for the site as well.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Rob,

Your welcome. I hope you enjoy the tutorial. Since it is not about R/C I didn't post it here. I plan to do an R/C related tutorial in the future though.

Bill
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:38 AM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Excellent tutorial, Bill. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the one that is R/C related.
Thanks much!
Shane
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
Excellent tutorial, Bill. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the one that is R/C related.
Thanks much!
Shane
Thanks Shane.

I enjoy putting this stuff together. It is always a bigger project than I expected though.

I originally built the CNC machine to make R/C parts. I need to get that into gear soon.

Bill