HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:47 PM
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
The Move Button

Cut2d has a way to move selected vectors accurately to a specific coordinate: The Move button. This button differs from the Interactive selection tool (move arrow) by allowing you to enter an (X,Y) position that you would like the part to move to instead of dragging.

First you specify the reference point you would like to use: either of the 4 corners or the center point.

Then you enter a coordinate value (X,Y), example: (1,2).

Next, select if you would like to use absolute or relative coordinate movement (more later).

Click apply.

There are two types of moves: Absolute and Relative.

Absolute move always get you to the exact same point in space on the Cartesian plane (X,Y). What ever number you enter is exactly where the reference point will move. I'm sure you all remember plotting points on graph paper........ Thinking mathematically, if Absolute were a number it would be a CONSTANT.

Relative moves change the position of the reference point based on it's current location. You will get different results based on where the reference is when you start. If the reference point started out at (3,4) and you performed a relative move (2,2) the reference point would end up at (5,6). However if the reference point had started out at (5,2) and you performed a relative move of (2,2), the reference point would have ended up at (7,4)...... Thinking mathematically, if Relative were a number it would be a VARIABLE.
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:53 PM
B72
Arthur,Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
It is probably about time I told you about my machine. I built a Routezilla II from plans I got at http://www.kleinbauer.com. John Kleinbauer is one of the first people to offer plans for build it yourself CNC Projects. He currently offers 15 different plans which range from CNC mills, router, 4th axis and driver boards. All the CNC plans in John's collection cost $36 (money order or check only. US and Canada).

The Routezilla II was designed to meet peoples desire for a larger Router. The
Routezilla has a 18" X 40" bed with a 12" X 26" X 2" cutting area. The machine was designed to cut out Doll House parts, Lawn Art and other craft parts at a faster rate than John's other machines. This design is for the experienced builders only because John left several details to the builder that he normally details in his plans. I didn't find this to be a short coming for my build. John developed this project online and showed details of the completed project before he had completed the plans. Several people copied the design so John released the plans as is.......

I like many things about the Routezilla II. The only thing I wish for is more Z travel. I toyed with expanding the Z axis but after looking it over for a while, I realized that this would involve several design changes. Besides, most router bits are 2" cut length or less.
This link to the routezilla no longer works. Can I get these plans anywhere else?
B72 is offline Find More Posts by B72
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:29 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post
This link to the routezilla no longer works. Can I get these plans anywhere else?
Yes, John recently changed locations and website. He can be reached at http://crankorgan.com.

Bill
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:51 PM
B72
Arthur,Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Because of all your work in putting this thread together I think I am going to tackle this project. My friend has a cnc machine that cost him $10,000. This looks a lot more interesting to me. A certain satisfaction in building your own. Thanks again.
B72 is offline Find More Posts by B72
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:39 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,400 Posts
Bill,
I have been searching for the better part of 4 months now for a inexpensive CNC machine that has a workable table size of atleast 40"x20".. Do you know of any plans for machines that could be enlarged to give me a work table that size w/o sacrificing accuracy?

thanks,.
thomas
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Bill,
I have been searching for the better part of 4 months now for a inexpensive CNC machine that has a workable table size of at least 40"x20".. Do you know of any plans for machines that could be enlarged to give me a work table that size w/o sacrificing accuracy?

thanks,.
thomas
Thomas,

Your desired machine size is difficult for several reasons. MDF machines tend to bend or deform after a certain length is reached. Anything over 48" base is going to bow. To build a machine with a 40" cutting area usually requires an extra 8 inches per side. That puts you at 56" for the base. Bracing can be added to the base to compensate but that adds to the cost.

Inexpensive is a relative term. If you expect to build the machine for under $500 dollars, it probably won't happen. I would expect to have at least $1000 into a 40"x20" machine at the very least (not counting software).

If I were to recommend a router plan that could meet your needs I would suggest the Joe's CNC 4x4 hybrid. It can be built as a 4'x2' machine or 4'x4' or 4'x8' machine with very little effort. Expect to spend between $1500 to $2500 depending on your choices.

The machine can be built with leadscrews or with Rack and pinion drive systems for about the same cost.

Here is a video of my Rack & Pinion machine upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bgriggst.../0/cLmu6u036kw

Bill
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Excellent work everyone! I've got to follow this thread!
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Thank you for the thread. I just finished reading the entire thing and I must say that you have assembled a great deal of information which I will be using to build a CNC micro mill based on the MicroMark Microlux mill and the HobbyCNC Pro driver package with 205oz-in steppers. I have 2 questions that I don't believe was addressed and I am very curious. I have Solidworks and Mastercam installed on my computer through an engineer buddy. Question 1: Can I run the HobbyCNC hardware with Mastercam or do I need something like Mach 3? Question #2: Is 205oz-in torque enough to move the 2.75" x 13" table with a 20lb part on it? I apologize if these questions HAVE been answered and I missed it. Thanks again!
aeroaddict is offline Find More Posts by aeroaddict
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2004
169 Posts
Cnc hobby

Quote:
i just received the new hobbycnc pro chopper driver kit. I will detail the assembly step by step.
hoW do i email or call this guy to get info??
RAPPTORS is online now Find More Posts by RAPPTORS
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPPTORS View Post
hoW do i email or call this guy to get info??
Do you need some help? Rapptors?

Bill
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:09 PM
Joined Jun 2004
169 Posts
Help

Quote:
Do you need some help? Rapptors?

Bill
NOT YET!! LOL...I want to buy his cnc for foam . complete kit. Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPPTORS View Post
NOT YET!! LOL...I want to buy his cnc for foam . complete kit. Thanks
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you interested in the CNC foam cutter I mentioned that I had developed or are you referring to one from someone else?

Bill
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
As long as I started posting in this thread again. I thought I would share a post from my Blog with you about an upgrade I just did to my Harbor Freight Minimill. I added a belt drive to mine instead of the plastic gear drive. I also plan to add a Shumatech DRO to it and add CNC using Stirling Steele plans.

My blog is http://www.makermasters.com/seig-min...t-dive-upgrade.

I also posted two videos detailing the process on youtube. The link is in my blog. Please leave a comment if you have a suggestion for things you would like to see.

Bill
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:28 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,018 Posts
duplicate
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Jun 2004
169 Posts
Foam cutter

Quote:
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you interested in the CNC foam cutter I mentioned that I had developed or are you referring to one from someone else?

Bill
I WANT YOUR SET UP. COMPLETE PACKAGE PLEASE. INFO PAGE IF AVAL.THANKS