Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:50 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,474 Posts
deleted ....
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Dec 13, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:19 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,039 Posts
I received my Board in the mail yesterday (fast delivery, have to appreciate that) and since the weather is bad and it is to cold to do anything in the garage I sat down and put it together this after noon. This is a great kit and a real nice board. Assembly was easy and went real fast. I am not completely done soldering yet, I need to dig out one of my old laptop power supplies to test it before installing the driver chips. Again to cold out to go digging for it tonight. I will get it tomorrow.

My steppers and power supply won't be here until Wednesday so testing will have to wait. Progress on the design has been a little slow. I keep re-thinking things. I should just use one of the existing designs but I just have to try to do it myself. In the end that is probably what I will end up doing.

Rob...
mxspode is online now Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:10 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriggs
Most problems with the board can be solved by reflowing the solder joints. That means using your solder iron to melt the solder again and then let it cool. As always, don't over heat the parts.

Next get out a magnifying glass and examine each joint in detail. You are looking for areas where the solder flowed onto an adjacent pad by accident. After the inspection, clean the bottom of the board with alcohol and a tooth brush.

Hobbycnc has a user's group that can help you with problems. Check out the website for details.

http://www.hobbycnc.com

Bill
@bgriggs: Thanks a lot.
namnp2007 is offline Find More Posts by namnp2007
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:08 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Bill,
I just wanted to bump this thread back to life again and also take the time to thank you for recamending the Cut2D software.
It is the only software of the type I have been able to work out and understand what I was doing.
I have tested a few and never got anywhere,but the tutorial videos on the side really held my hand with this and because I was happy with the software,I bought it without any doubts.
I also bought Mach3,but Iam waiting for it to activate.
Thanks again,
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Jun 04, 2009, 02:37 AM
Finland
Joined Jun 2009
1 Posts
Hi Bill,

Just wanted to know more about....the software, you have not been here for some time.
poeseer is offline Find More Posts by poeseer
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:47 PM
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have been sort of side tracked lately on my posting. Hopefully I can breath a little life back in this thread now that I am not so distracted.

The last time I posted , I was in the process of sharing a design I made using Cut2d demo software. After I started, I realized no one would be able to read or exchange that file because it was made with the demo........ I think I will just finish talking about the design how it was made in Cut2d. Then move on to VCarve Pro. I will post a DXF version of the plane later for those who want to build one.

One of the reasons I haven't had time to post here is because I have been doing intense posting at http://joescnc.com. This is a website which focuses on building a 4 foot by 4 foot cnc router from plans. The "Hybrid 4x4" is a completely adaptable system that can be built in a variety of sizes from 2'x2' to 8'x4'. I built a 4'x4' version and took the motors and Hobbycnc controller from the Routezilla. The Routezilla now has a home at my Friend Jaime's house.

Bill
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs
Last edited by bgriggs; Oct 11, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Last edited by Arbo; Apr 15, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:09 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Nice. Joe's hybrid is a nice machine.

I have stuff on the way for one using the cncrouterparts.com stuff. Going with an 80" x 24" work area, based on what I need and can fit (doubling the size of my shed to make room for it).

What did you use for that table base? I have been wondering what to do for mine...
The base is from a metal, commonly available at Home depot. In fact most of the construction uses readily available parts. What is nice about the plans is that they include not only parts listings but also sources. The website also has several hundred options and enhancements posted by builders.

There is a long thread on CNCzone that will answer many of your questions.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38220

Bill
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:12 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Node edit Mode

Cut2D and all the vectric products have a Node edit function. This function allows you to change the shape of a line or curve. It also allows you to add, manipulate, move and remove node.

Nodes can be best described as a point along a curve where the shape of the curve changes. In an airfoil there might be hundreds of nodes which define the shape of the airfoil. Move any single node and you have changed the characteristics of the airfoil.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:26 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Rudimentary CAD

Since Cut2D is not a full blown CAD program, it has a limited tool set for creating drawing. Many people will create the drawing in another program and import the drawing into Cut2D. However, you can make original drawings in Cut2D with just a little patience.

Cut2D includes the following drawing tools: Square, Circle and Ellipse At first it seems that you can't draw a straight line or a curve..... Then you realize with Node edit you can create any of these shape. Want a straight line? Draw a square and delete 3 sides. Want a curve? Draw and ellipse and cut away the part you don't need.

If you are familiar with Corel draw or Adobe Illustrator, you will know how to manipulate nodes in Cut2D. You can insert nodes, Cut nodes, move nodes etc....

The compound curve object in the bottom of the picture was made from a simple Elipse using node editing.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:45 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Text

Cut2D also allows you to input text into your cut files. The program will allow you to use any Truetype fonts stored on your computer.

Additionally, Cut2D will allow you to convert the text to curves. That will allow you to manipulate them using Node editing mode.

Cut2D will not do automatic VCarving like VCarve Pro.

Bill
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:49 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Bill,
I have never been able to do much with TurboCad. It seams to have way too many features for me,But after buying Cut2d,I find it is just right for me to create the parts I need to make.
My 12 year old son tried to draw a shape almost like a keyhole design and he even managed to get it right.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Hi Bill,
I have never been able to do much with TurboCad. It seams to have way too many features for me,But after buying Cut2d,I find it is just right for me to create the parts I need to make.
My 12 year old son tried to draw a shape almost like a keyhole design and he even managed to get it right.
Regards Jason
I am glad you are having good results with Cut2D. I am a CAD fan so I actually have to slow down and think when I am using the limited drawing tools from Cut2D. However, I haven't found many things I can't draw with it.

TIP: for cad only draw a part once. If a feature is repeated, use your tools to mirror or otherwise copy the feature. More on this later.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:42 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
Edit Vectors

We have already looked at the selection arrow and the Node edit arrow. Next comes the Move, Scale, Rotate arrow (MSR). This tool combine three functions in one. Mathematicians and Programmers would call this a Translation/Transformation arrow......

With this one tool, a vector or group of vectors can be moved around, have their size adjusted and also rotated.

When a vector is selected with the MSR arrow, the vector displays a grid of boxes around it.

When you click on the center box, the vector can be dragged around the screen to move it.

When you click on any of the eight surrounding white boxes, you can scale the vector in different directions depending on which box you choose. The corner boxes scale both axis proportionately at the same time.

When you click on any of the four Black boxes, you can rotate the vector about it's center.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:59 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,015 Posts
A break for a quick project

I have been busy with the Neat fair and a business trip. During all that hectic time, a friend asked me to make something for the local Boy Scout Troop award dinner. Since I was pressed for time I didn't set the level of finish as high as I normally would. I used a 1/4" ball nose bit instead of the 1/16" ball nose bit I should have used.

I am happy with the results of my first 3D project. This project was done in Aspire not Cut 2D.

Roughing Cut for Boy Scout Logo (3 min 14 sec)

scout finish cut (4 min 45 sec)

Bill
Last edited by bgriggs; Mar 21, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add picture