HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2008, 07:43 AM
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
VCarve Pro

Vectric's flagship product (until a few weeks ago, more later.) was VCarve Pro ($599). VCarve Pro combined all the features of Cut 2D and most of the features of Photo VCarve, added a whole suit of tools for VCarving and a few tools that are unique to VCarve Pro. Essentially if you bought VCarve Pro you didn't need the other programs (with the possible exception of Cut 3D for multi-sided cutting and slicing). http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../vcp_index.htm

VCarve Pro (VCP) has a great user interface that can be learned in just a few minutes. It is easy to use and allows you to quickly do serious work, which in my opinion is the mark of good software. You can also take work created in any of the other Vectric programs and enhace them in VCP. You can create a #D bas-relief in Cut3D and then bring it into VCP and ad VCarving letters and cut out a profile around the project or cut the project loose from the backer board.

I intend to spend most of this thread talking about Cut2D and VCarvePro along with a sprinkling of Cut3D. I think these programs are what most Modelers would buy and use. Also, after I finish introducing you to the products I plan to recommend which products I would buy in what order if you are on a budget or if money was not a consideration.

Here is a list of VCarve Pro's features:

* 2D Design and Layout Tools
* Text Editing
* File Import & Export of DXF, EPS, AI, PDF
* Toolpath Preview
* V-Carving
* 3D Texturing
* 2D Profiling with Interactive Tabs / Bridges
* Pocketing
* Drilling
* Beveled Letters
* Molding Cutters
* Import & Trace Image Files
* Engraving Functionality
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs
Last edited by bgriggs; Nov 02, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2008, 07:47 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Aspire

The latest product from Vectric was announced about two weeks ago. Aspire is a no holds barred full blown CAM package. It is designed to give the professional CNC Machinist the power to create unbelievable products at an affordable price (relatively speaking). Most professional level CAM packages retail between $5000 and $20,000. Aspire retails for $2000 (introductory price is $1750). http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...ire_index.html

Aspire will do everything VCarve Pro will do. It will also allow you to create 3D models from a a vector outline. You could for instance take a standard line drawing clipart and convert it to 3D automatically. Aspire also lets you modify every feature of the design independently. Lofting, sweeping, Blending sculpting, depositing.....

I won't spend much time on Aspire now because I haven't had a chance to explore it in detail. However, what I have seen blows my mind. If you have a serious need for this kind of power, you will be glad you looked at Aspire.

Here is a list of the features found in Aspire:

* Installation DVD includes over 6 hours of high quality Video Training Tutorials + PDF Manuals and a 150 page Reference Manual

* 3D component design from vectors
* 3D textures from image files
* Import 3D Clipart models & mesh files - STL, DXF, OBJ, VRML,
VA3D, CRV3D
* Interactive 3D sculpting & blending
* 3D roughing and finishing Toolpaths
* Project toolpaths onto 3D shapes and curved surfaces

* The 2D Drawing, design and layout tools available in VCarve Pro -
layer control, guide lines and rulers etc.
* Text editing with single stroke fonts
* File import & export of DXF, EPS, AI, PDF
* Interactive sizing, positioning, node editing

* VCarving and 3D Engraving Toolpaths
* 2D Profiling with Interactive Tabs, Lead in
* Pocketing toolpaths with Ramp options
* Drilling with Peck cycle option
* Beveled Letters
* User definable Form Cutters
* High quality Toolpath Preview
* 50 professionally designed 3D Clipart models worth over $1,100
Last edited by bgriggs; Sep 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2008, 09:41 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Pictures
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:26 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Cut 2D

Ok, now that we know what all the software does, it is time to get into the particulars.

For most of us, purchasing software is not an easy decision. Luckily all the Vectric software I discussed have demo versions available. Most of us will probably choose Cut2D for cost reasons, firm in the knowledge that we can upgrade to other programs as we gain experience and/or begin to make money with our machine.

To begin you will need to download the demo version of Cut2D. All Vectric software can be downloaded from the following link http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...s/download.htm.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Getting started with Cut2D

The opening screen of Cut2D is pictured below. Select New from the File menu. A new screen opens up which allows you to specify the size of the material you plan to cut your parts out of.

On this screen you can specify the size in either inches or millimeters by selecting the radio button at the bottom of the screen. You can also set the thickness of the material. For our first example we will set the material size at 4" x 24", 1/16" thick. We will also set the origin (0,0,0) point at the lower left corner of the material.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 02:24 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
895 Posts
cnc link up

Hi Bgirggs what cnc software are you using to drive your cnc and will cut2 link to it
i had problems getting it to send cod to kcam that is the demo ver would be interested in the cut3 so looking forward to more info keep it coming thanks
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:22 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot
Hi Bgirggs what cnc software are you using to drive your cnc and will cut2 link to it
i had problems getting it to send cod to kcam that is the demo ver would be interested in the cut3 so looking forward to more info keep it coming thanks
I am using Mach3 to drive the motors. I previously tried KCam.... Mach3 fit my needs better. Your mileage may vary. Cut2D has many built in post processors which will allow it to work with many different machines.

I plan to cover all the Vectric products.

Bill
Old Nov 07, 2008, 11:50 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Stuff I cut today.

Someone PM'd me and asked to see something I cut. I am building a set of tool cabinates from plans in Wood magazine. http://www.woodstore.net/besy.html. I needed some clamp braces to build the cabinets with so I made these up based on a free plan in Wood Magazine. http://www.woodmagazine.com/brace.
I plan to cut a variety of sizes.

Incidental, the plans for the cabinet are great. 2x4", pegboard and MDF. Simple. I modified the plans to use pocket hole joints http://kregjig.com.

I designed the brace in Cut2D and then realized I couldn't share the part because I used the demo version. I then recreated the file in VCarve Pro so that I could post the cut file.
Last edited by bgriggs; Nov 07, 2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:18 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Changing material size

In our last example, we set the material size of our sheet to 4"x24"x1/16". We are not stuck with this size. We can change the material size simply by typing in new values for x,y,z. You can also change the orientation of the material by swapping x & y values (e.g. portrait or landscape).

The fuselage side we will be cutting is 30" wide, 9" high and .118" thick. Enter each of these values into the appropriate boxes.
Last edited by bgriggs; Nov 18, 2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:09 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Cut2D will allow you to import a file from several popular formats. My example file below is a DXF (drawing exchange format) file. To import a file select the FILE menu and then select IMPORT. Select your file and click OPEN.

The imported file vectors will be displayed in the Cut2D window.

Here is a sample file to cut a simple foamy Biplane I designed after flying a TENSOR for a while. The original fuselage kept breaking in the same spot so I beefed it up. Then I changed several other lines to suit my tastes...... I ran out of interest before I finished the prototype.... But, this will make a nice example project.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:39 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
after you import vectors into Cut2D, you must place them on the material so that they can be cut out. The easiest way to do this is to let the software do it for you.

Pressing the Center vectors in material icon will do exactly that.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
The vector file for the fuselage has some intentional errors in it to simulate common problems found in drawings. There are duplicate vectors and some open vectors in the drawing. Either of these errors can cause the cut to fail.

Cut2D has tools which help you check your drawings for these errors. These tools are located in the EDIT menu.

Select All Duplicate Vectors - Highlights a duplicate vector so you can delete it.

Select All Open Vectors - highlights open vectors and allows you to specify the tolerance length for closing the vector gaps.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Dear briggs
I have trouble like that: Before I installed 4 driver IC, the 5V DC was stable( it's = 5.03V). Buts after I installed 4 drive IC, the 5 V DC was unstable. Did you have some idear about it, and pls. guide me how to fix this problem.
Thanks
namnp2007 is offline Find More Posts by namnp2007
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:25 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by namnp2007
Dear briggs
I have trouble like that: Before I installed 4 driver IC, the 5V DC was stable( it's = 5.03V). Buts after I installed 4 drive IC, the 5 V DC was unstable. Did you have some idear about it, and pls. guide me how to fix this problem.
Thanks
Most problems with the board can be solved by reflowing the solder joints. That means using your solder iron to melt the solder again and then let it cool. As always, don't over heat the parts.

Next get out a magnifying glass and examine each joint in detail. You are looking for areas where the solder flowed onto an adjacent pad by accident. After the inspection, clean the bottom of the board with alcohol and a tooth brush.

Hobbycnc has a user's group that can help you with problems. Check out the website for details.

http://www.hobbycnc.com

Bill
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:52 AM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
I finally got to ordered my Driver Board from HobbyCNC yesterday and my steppers and power supply today. I am working on designing the machine tonight and hopefully I will have it done tomorrow so I can start building over the weekend. I can't wait to get this thing running.

Thanks for all of the input Bill. You have answered allot of questions without having to ask. Helps allot.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode