Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:55 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Discussion
Need help with PT Cruiser A/C Recharge.

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser LE, the air conditioning works but is not very cold anymore so I suspect it's low on Freon. I just went up to Autozone & got 2 cans of Sub-Zero Synthetic R134A A/C Booster & they had an offer to throw in free recharge hose/valve when you buy 2 cans.
I have a Chiltons manual that shows a picture of a guy hooking up a recharge hose to what I "assumed" was the low side & the manual says that the quick connect on the recharge hose will ONLY fit the low side. However, I just now went out & tried it & there appears to be 2 connectors, one on the discharge line & one on the suction line. The quick connect on the recharge charge kit will not fit what I read to be the low side BUT will fit the connector on what I assumed was the high side. Which connector is actually the low side & which is the high? Do I want to connect to the discharge or the suction line??

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:53 PM
Stay thirsty my friends.
Tosev 3
Joined Feb 2003
1,034 Posts
IIRC the low side (suction) is the larger diameter line. Do not try and charge the high side (as you have figured out). The connector should only fit the low pressure side anyway.
DR. JOY is online now Find More Posts by DR. JOY
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
I have a 2001 PT Cruiser LE, the air conditioning works but is not very cold anymore so I suspect it's low on Freon. I just went up to Autozone & got 2 cans of Sub-Zero Synthetic R134A A/C Booster & they had an offer to throw in free recharge hose/valve when you buy 2 cans.
I have a Chiltons manual that shows a picture of a guy hooking up a recharge hose to what I "assumed" was the low side & the manual says that the quick connect on the recharge hose will ONLY fit the low side. However, I just now went out & tried it & there appears to be 2 connectors, one on the discharge line & one on the suction line. The quick connect on the recharge charge kit will not fit what I read to be the low side BUT will fit the connector on what I assumed was the high side. Which connector is actually the low side & which is the high? Do I want to connect to the discharge or the suction line??

-Thanks-

Mike
Run you air conditioner and the low pressure line will be the cooler one.
Be sure to have your motor running and air on while charging it as well.
Be patient it can take some time.

PS did you get a gauge with the recharge kit?
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:38 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Bilbo:

I did not get a gauge, I usually just put a thermometer in the A/C vent on the dash & just fill using 1 can until I can get it to around 40-50 Deg F.

P.S. - I find it amusing & disappointing that the Chilton manual was wrong, it clearly shows the guy using the can to fill to the High side. I will not buy anymore Chilton manuals, the Haynes manuals are much better IMHO.

-Mike-
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
I agree with that too. Haynes are more modern and much better pics etc.
You can get the gauge/valved kit for about 15 bucks at walmart.
12 oz charge cans are about 6.58 or more. (uv leak tetstors are abit more.
I found it best to plumb it and take it for a drive to empty the charge can without total boredom etc
My wifes car took about 18 oz to fill . (can and a half max) Almost an hours average driving for us.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Well this is a revolting development. I tried to connect the quick-connect on the filling hose to both the Low Side & High Side & it fit NEITHER, it's too big for the low side & too small for the high side. Any idea what gives here? The fill kit hose is supposed to be universal, is there a special A/C connector just for Chrysler PT Cruiser?

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:41 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
794 Posts
Are you sure that your car came with R134A? The previous cars had different fittings....

Jim
me11owman is online now Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:29 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Yes, the sticker under the hood says it has R134A refrigerant. In fact all PT Cruisers ever produced all came with R134A.

I guess I will take the hose back to Autozone tommorrow & tell them (or show) them my problem, all I can figure is that there must be a special hose for Chyrsler PT cruisers, I gotta think somebody else has been down this road before me & has had the same problem. Any tech's out there that can shed some light on this?

On a side note, I just bought a 2002 Chevy Impala from my sister & it has a problem VERY common with this car it need a new intake manifold gasket, anybody know offhand what this repair is gonna cost me? I gotta feeling that it will be pricey.

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
Yes, the sticker under the hood says it has R134A refrigerant. In fact all PT Cruisers ever produced all came with R134A.

I guess I will take the hose back to Autozone tommorrow & tell them (or show) them my problem, all I can figure is that there must be a special hose for Chyrsler PT cruisers, I gotta think somebody else has been down this road before me & has had the same problem. Any tech's out there that can shed some light on this?

On a side note, I just bought a 2002 Chevy Impala from my sister & it has a problem VERY common with this car it need a new intake manifold gasket, anybody know offhand what this repair is gonna cost me? I gotta feeling that it will be pricey.

-Thanks-

Mike
Yes R134A should be correct for all PTs.

Why not just change the gasket yourself.
Buy a Hayes for it and save some money.

It can't really be all that hard.

They have this really cool product now that dissolves old gasket material so there's no need for scraping etc.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
OK, I went back to Autozone today & showed them the recharge hose. The regular guys must have been on vacation because all I had to talk to was a couple of bozos that knew very little about cars. The first guy knew absolutely nothing as this was his first day & the guy training him didn't know much more. When I told them that the hose didn't fit, he immediately accused me of trying to use this on a car that uses R-12 after I told them it was a 2001 PT Cruiser & that ALL PT cruisers ever built have R134a. Then he just said well that's the only way those hoses come & just walked away. I guess I will be taking everything back for a refund & going somewhere else.

Is there a special size connector for PT Cruiser low side connnections?

-Mike-
Old Jul 03, 2007, 12:31 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Hey, I'm still trying to resolve my R134A issue with the PT Cruiser. I am kind of at an impasse as the quick connect on the standard fill kits will not fit the low side connection on the 2001 PT Cruiser. The quick-connect "Almost" fits but is too large & just pops off. If I were to forcefully hold the connector on I guess it might work but who wants to do that for an hour?

Does the Chrysler PT Cruiser use a different size R134a connector than is standard at auto parts stores??

Any auto tech guys out there?

- Thanks -

Mike