SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:50 PM
Slowflier
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Nov 2001
200 Posts
Discussion
Harbor Freight Wild Hawk flight report

I got this plane a couple of months ago when it was on sale through a coupon for less than $70.

It is a nice gentle flier. Today I flew it for about 25 minutes with a single charge of the included 1300 mah nimh, 8.4v battery.

Modifications:

- Switched the receiver and transmitter to a simple 3 channel hitec system that I had already modified to use li-ion battery in the transmitter. This is not a necessary change as the included transmitter seems quite cappable.

- Joined the two sides of the elevator with a piece of carbon ron and tape. Had to make space for it in the rudder (see photo)

- Placed the battery forward - before this modification the first flight was wild.

Comments:

Climbs nicely with the included speed 400 motor and battery. Glides well too. It can do loops with or without power as long as you start with a dive.

There is hardly enough rudder control. I may try the stiffening of the fuse modification to see if it improves things. Otherwise I may increase the area of the rudder.

Elevator control is good.

I am used to flying brushless powered planes with ailerons. This is a nice change. It feels as if there was a delay between the rudder control input and the reaction of the plane.

I plan to use this plane to teach friends how to fly. Climbing to altitude with the motor and letting them control it on the way down. In the current setup the plane recovers by itself from anything as long as it is not under power (haven't tried with power).

All in all a nice flier. In particular if you consider that you can get the complete package for under $70.
adar is offline Find More Posts by adar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:37 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
I was looking at these as a cheap alternative to the easy star and maybe putting ailerons on it.
What kind of foam does it look like to you?? Some say EPP and some say a cheaper type! Thanks, Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jun 21, 2007, 03:31 PM
Slowflier
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Nov 2001
200 Posts
It is not EPP. It is pretty fragile stuff. I think the main drawback is that it is not flexible, it breaks rather than flex. I had a relatively gentle landing with too much nose down and it broke on landing. Easy to repair, but not good quality foam.
adar is offline Find More Posts by adar
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:09 PM
United States, PA, Canonsburg
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
Strengthen the foam with straping tape on the fuse. It is more than strong enough, I have done cartwheels with mine without damage. I use my wildhawk as an aerial photography platform and it has no trouble carrying the extra weight of the camera. Without the camera I have had it up in thermals for well over an hour. For $60 this plane is awesome. I love this plane.
Skysailor is offline Find More Posts by Skysailor
Old Jul 03, 2007, 01:47 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Great plane for the $
I agree that tape is needed to stiffen the fuse. Mine actually torqued from side to side with rudder input. I used white strapping tape (the stuff with fiber in it) along either side of the fuse and that stopped.
I also moved the battery forward, but just cut out the foam stop at the front and added velcro to the batt and in the cockpit. It holds up very well, and I can still use the canopy.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:36 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2 Posts
Wild Hawk Mods

Just picked up a WH and trying to do some of the mods
Some one suggested to tape a CF rod to the bottom side what size?
All so there was some one who suggested to put fome in the front what kind the same as thay have at Hone depot? that stuff can really expand Thanks for the help.
Fly Rat is offline Find More Posts by Fly Rat
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:51 AM
Heli & FPV Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Sep 2008
307 Posts
Hi guys, I have just ordered a wild walk from the USA as they don't sell them where I am in England! So there are reasonably easy to repair them with the good old-fashioned duct tape then? Was just wondering if anyone has any tips on this plane at all?

Also is it possible to get larger batteries so the flight time will be longer? Also where can I get their charges as if I get more batteries are made more chances, and also how long does it take to charge anyway? Sorry for all the questions...
JezUK1 is offline Find More Posts by JezUK1
Old Oct 06, 2008, 04:30 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezUK1
Hi guys, I have just ordered a wild walk from the USA as they don't sell them where I am in England! So there are reasonably easy to repair them with the good old-fashioned duct tape then? Was just wondering if anyone has any tips on this plane at all?

Also is it possible to get larger batteries so the flight time will be longer? Also where can I get their charges as if I get more batteries are made more chances, and also how long does it take to charge anyway? Sorry for all the questions...

um i wouldnt use duct tape lol... just use the clear packing tape. may i ask where u got it from and at what price? because ive looked in most places and ther all sold out! did u get it yet?
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:09 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
i got it at nitroplanes.com, if they are out of stock then divert to bananahobby.com =)
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:05 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Just maidened my WH. Got it from HF for $79, plus 20% off (they had to price match the web site and then do the 20% off coupon). Moved the battery forward and put packing tape around the rear fuse and nose. The thing still wants to really stall when under power (seems too tail heavy). I'm about 3.2" back from leading edge on CG. Without power, it is actually pretty balanced and this thing will soar/glide forever. I landed it 3 times and I did like 4 other low speed glide slopes past and then powered up and took it back up. It definately needs more rudder. I'm in the closest hole and there were times I thought the radio was spazzing out on me (maybe it was, actually, it doesn't seem to stay very stable) and turning the opposite way I wanted it to go. Still, just drop power and things get much more controllable. It loops very nice, especially if you get just a little down elevator and speed. I'm definately going to try to swap out the RX and servos out and pair it up with my Hitec mini 6s, HS-55's and Futaba 7CAP that is coming in the mail. Hopefully that cleans up the signal a little. Maybe even replace the motor and speed controller with the Turnigy 25A plush and HXT 2835-2700.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:11 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Anyone know how a 7.2v pack would work in this? I have a 3800mAh 7.2v NiMH pack for my Aerobird Xtreme...they are about 12 oz (compared to the 6oz 8.4v 1300mAh pack that came with the Wild Hawk). I'm assuming the motor wouldn't have as much punch, but should be longer flight times. I'm guessing it would balance out the CG a little better to the front too?
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:48 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezUK1

5 hours to charge using the bundled charger, last about 10-15 mins flight full throttle more if you do some gliding, you can get a step down to charge 8 maplin or a new transformer 10.5v .35A. didnt try this route the step down on a timer works fine. make sure servos are centered before flying and that control surfaces are straight and have good movement as mine needed a little work. lots of rudder movement but only small elevator movement is needed so pick inner and outer holes repectivly on the horns, also buy some duct tape and foam ca glue if this is going to be your first flight and dont fly if windy as this one not really suited. if you are flying on grass then leave the landing gear off and just chuck it hard 5 10 degrees up at full throttle, belly land on grass, ace first plane though , get clearview sim plug in an xbox controller or better the esky usb and download the clearview easystar model same as wildhawk put rudder elevator on the right stick to get a feel. before you know it you will be torque rolling in extras and edges or labouring over detailed war birds its all great. dont let a few crashes put you off and get some sim time.
virtualron is offline Find More Posts by virtualron
Last edited by virtualron; Sep 21, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 07:48 AM
Joined May 2009
1 Posts
Harbor Frieght Coupon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEastKilla
um i wouldnt use duct tape lol... just use the clear packing tape. may i ask where u got it from and at what price? because ive looked in most places and ther all sold out! did u get it yet?
The RC Powers people are out of stock, but, I found several at Harbor Frieght for $99. Didn't have to pay shipping and it's in my hands.

Opps, just found a 20% Harbor Frieght coupon on line and went back and got another one.
billromo is offline Find More Posts by billromo
Last edited by billromo; Sep 08, 2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: More news
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2 Posts
I dont really know how you guys managed to get this thing to fly??? I have one season in of learning to fly R/C planes, and this thing was a nightmare.
I launched it into a very slight breeze it flew ten feet, went nose up stalled and fell to the ground, i tried again, and same thing happened. I went over all the controls, checked center of gravity and tried again. This piece of junk flew like a one winged, broken tailed goose on CRACK.. I tossed this over rated piece of junk into the River on my way home from the flying field,,gloob gloob What a waste of hard earned over taxed money
rcflyer2009 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer2009
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer2009 View Post
I dont really know how you guys managed to get this thing to fly??? I have one season in of learning to fly R/C planes, and this thing was a nightmare.
I launched it into a very slight breeze it flew ten feet, went nose up stalled and fell to the ground, i tried again, and same thing happened. I went over all the controls, checked center of gravity and tried again. This piece of junk flew like a one winged, broken tailed goose on CRACK.. I tossed this over rated piece of junk into the River on my way home from the flying field,,gloob gloob What a waste of hard earned over taxed money
SOUR GRAPES.

What do youy think the sticks are for.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot