HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:51 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
Build Log
QuickStep Footy build

Hi guys,
After much ribbing by you guys to try out a footy and see what all the fuss is about, Im finally going to build one!

I drew up simple plans last night, for a single chine hull, with a raised foredeck, ala 1M/M style.
It will be built from balsa, with an epoxy coating.
Im going to try to build it rather fast, hence the name.
Have a look at my poor drawings, and see if it will work or not? Im more of a TLAR designer really.
The only reason I did sketches, was for you lot. If it was just me, the plans would still be in my head. I drew in pen, and made a few mistakes, but tried to cover them up.
I hope it will work, but it will be fun trying it out. Something this size should be very enjoyable to build.

Barry
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:59 AM
micro yacht nut.....
Joined Dec 2004
477 Posts
looks not bad..obviously been paying a little bit of attention in class
Get on with it then lad.....

edit..on closer inspection you will have to take care to fit the external rudder linkage into the cutout of the mearsurment box.
I know you didn't like the raked bow in my design yesterday,but is purpose was to raise the transom in the box to allow the linkage to fit in the cutout.The added benifit was a few extra mm waterline length.
micro sailor is offline Find More Posts by micro sailor
Last edited by micro sailor; Jun 21, 2007 at 03:10 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 03:55 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
I can always shorten it slightly. Im sure a few mm's at this size wont be that important really. I know that the rear hung rudder is there to add to the water-line length, and as you lot have it this way, I thought Id do the same.
Model yachts in Shetland have huge rudders, that can add up to 8 inches onto the WL length. They did not measure these when we sailed against them, and as a result, our yachts were set off up to 5 mins after they were. There was no hope of catching them with those sort of handicaps, and they won everything. The Footy class is the first time I have seen this since.

How do you lot hang the rudders and link em up?? What length are the normal footys to accomodate this, and fit into the box?

Cheers for the heads-up Brett.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 03:58 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
Aah, but if I recess the rudder hinges and linkage into the transom, the yacht can be full 12", and the linkage will be inside that size, as it wont project past the transom.
A simple box built into the transom above the water line would make this rather easy.
What say you lot??
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:05 AM
micro yacht nut.....
Joined Dec 2004
477 Posts
get to it then Barry..stopwatch has started
I have full confidence you will make it in one week easy.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:26 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
AAARGH, The pressures on!! I hope the missus doesnt demand DIY this week!!
Balsa will be purchased tonight after work, and should get the hull done tonight as well.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:31 AM
micro yacht nut.....
Joined Dec 2004
477 Posts
Barry ,
I took the liberty of tracing your drawing into my hull design software.Sad I know!!

Anyway it appears that displacment will be only 300g? correct Barry? have you done any calcs?
You may want to make her a bit heavier possibly.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:49 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
Good thinking there Brett. 300g sounds a bit light to me. What is the normal displacement on these boats? No calcs done at all my good man!
If you want to play with it and make it better, do so now before I cut wood please?

Thanks,
Barry
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:55 AM
micro yacht nut.....
Joined Dec 2004
477 Posts
About 500g is the norm.
I launched a new one yesterday at 400g..that requires careful building( 16g hull and micro everything,4g rudder servo)
300 is a bit below the limit to get a decent ballast ratio with the building methods and electronics we have to date.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:00 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
I'll make her a wee bit deeper then to accomodate the ballast ratio req'd.
I can always make it have a lower ballast ratio if req'd also when the time comes. Its just for fun anyway.
Thanks very much for the help.

I will leave the chine lines as they are, and deepen the keel area. I was trying to make the hull bottom as flat as possible, but hey, who cares!
I will draw round the parts before I join them together, and scan them/post them here for all if it is a success.
Last edited by rcminiman; Jun 21, 2007 at 05:15 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:21 AM
micro yacht nut.....
Joined Dec 2004
477 Posts
!@#
Last edited by micro sailor; Jun 23, 2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:22 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,543 Posts
Barry, I know it sounds Heath-Robinson, but could the servo output shaft be linked either directly or via gearing to the rudder shaft?
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:30 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Another OD footy on its way. It took me 44 days to complete my footy from scratch. I am sure you can do it sooner.
suirendoujin is offline Find More Posts by suirendoujin
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:37 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
Oh yeah, I will scale it and print it off, then use it to build from. 400g's seems about right for me. I dont need it to be strong, just light. I also have micro RX's and servos to use, as well as lightweight AA's
Thank you very much Brett, yer a star!!

Hi Martin, didnt think of that before, but its a possability for sure. I made toy pond yachts years ago when I was a kid, using Lego gears for the Vane gear. Just lift the feather and turn it a tooth round on the sprocket to change the angle.

Thanks suirendoujin. I hope it will give me some building pleasure whilst waiting for a bigger project!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:48 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Barry,

I immediately saw that raised ( triangular ) foredeck when clicking the picture link - before reading the blur... err.... sorry - the comments you wrote.

Looks very nice indeed - it will be sailed over the weekend, I expect...?

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64