HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:13 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
GI- Looks awesome. I am kind of bummed that my cool new plane has repair cracks in it. I have to hand it to GWS they put some decent detail into, one of the best looking P-40 kits out there. Good luck with your flight and let me know how it goes.

BTW what size is that spinner and is it a Dubro?
I about cried! One great flight followed by a stall and auger on hand launch! Not too badly damaged. Just looks like it needs a new cowl. I knew it was too pretty to fly.

BTW 2-3/4" Dubro

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:14 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
3" dubro fits pretty well

JimNM
is that the stock motor spinning the 3" dubro? just curious,also what prop are you using..i was a little surprised to see your cowl had not been opened up..i think the airflow helps alot..i have the epo version it weighs a fraction shy of 2 lbs. i felt it was necessary to ventilate my electronics...man i love this plane
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:18 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
I about cried! One great flight followed by a stall and auger on hand launch! Not too badly damaged. Just looks like it needs a new cowl. I knew it was too pretty to fly.

BTW 2-3/4" Dubro

Regards,
Alan

ahh man sorry to hear that..i bought another one after a bad crash the other day.. it is still in the box, i keep repairing my old one.. the epo is tough stuff..

i wsh they would send a spare cowl in the box, i'm on my third one from caliber hobby... hey how much throttle with what prop on your hand launch?
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:58 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:

BTW 2-3/4" Dubro

Regards,
Alan
Ah man, sorry to hear that. I know how it feels. That second flight that did mine in, I knew I shouldn't have tried it. My gut said quit now, but I ignored it. Like I said, I got my crash out of the way so now I can make it look good. I will look for a spinner at my hobby shop thanks.

Ken
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:49 PM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
What the..@#$%

Quote:

BTW 2-3/4" Dubro

Regards,
Alan
Dayum Alan, regret hearing that..... I have been wondering how I am going to repair/replace my cowl when i finally maiden this P40 (still in the box). I suspect a lot of folks are frustrated like you.

there is a guy that bought the parkzone P51, flew it the first day, no problem, nice plane...the next day flew it into a tree....Looks Ok now, but has some battle damage on it....

Sorry to hear it amigo,

Mike
MikeVictor is offline Find More Posts by MikeVictor
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:17 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Here's a cheap tip for those with nice cowlings still. Get some packing tape and line the inside of the cowl with it the best you can. This will give you some added strength in the case of a "bad" landing.

A little more expensive tip is to add a layer of .5oz fiberglass to the inside.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:15 AM
Joined Sep 2006
59 Posts
I just ordered the last remaining P40 Cowls from GWS I have 25 available. THese were hard to get and GWS keeps backordering everything like they sell stock and never produce more. I'd like to know if they plan on supplying parts?

gwsprops.com

http://gwsprops.com/gws_p40.htm
aero007 is offline Find More Posts by aero007
Last edited by aero007; Jul 29, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:13 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,866 Posts
You're a life saver. I'll be making an order today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero007
I just ordered the last remaining P40 Cowls from GWS I have 25 available. THese were hard to get and GWS keeps backordering everything like they sell stock and never produce more. I'd like to know if they plan on supplying parts?

gwsprops.com

denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
When the original cowl on my GWS 190 finally died, I made a new one with pink foam and fiberglassed (minwax) it. I painted a thick layer of epoxy on the chin of the cowl where it scrapes in a nose-over. If you are frustrated with the GWS 40 cowl, that's what you should do. It would only take a couple of evenings. What people may not realize about the flimsy stock cowls is that they will break without damaging the rest of the plane. If the cowl is very strong, it may damage the front of the plane in a rough landing.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Conn
When the original cowl on my GWS 190 finally died, I made a new one with pink foam and fiberglassed (minwax) it. I painted a thick layer of epoxy on the chin of the cowl where it scrapes in a nose-over. If you are frustrated with the GWS 40 cowl, that's what you should do. It would only take a couple of evenings.
The 190 cowl is round. The P40 cowl is quite a but different shape and has a lot of detail with the cooling vents in the lower front of the cowl. In 300 evenings, I could never make a cowl out of foam that I would be satisfied with. Some people have that gift, I do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Conn
What people may not realize about the flimsy stock cowls is that they will break without damaging the rest of the plane. If the cowl is very strong, it may damage the front of the plane in a rough landing.
Foam is easy to fix. I would rather glass the inside of the cowl, and fix the foam on the front of the plane.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Nose Problems?

Here's another idea, take that flimsy plastic cowling, coat the inside with some oil, pour some concrete inside and incert an oil coated smaller cowling as a form to hold the concrete against the outersell, this will leave a hollow inside area for the motor, let it cure for a few days, strip off the plastic and forming material and put that piece of concrete on the nose of your plane. Might be a little nose heavy, but it should last....

;-)

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVictor
Here's another idea, take that flimsy plastic cowling, coat the inside with some oil, pour some concrete inside and incert an oil coated smaller cowling as a form to hold the concrete against the outersell, this will leave a hollow inside area for the motor, let it cure for a few days, strip off the plastic and forming material and put that piece of concrete on the nose of your plane. Might be a little nose heavy, but it should last....

;-)

Mike

I think an even more novel concept would be to use quality material in the first place, rather than having customers consider a concrete cowl as a viable alternative.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:32 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15
...customers consider a concrete cowl...
Try saying that 5 times fast!
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:35 AM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Might not be such a crazy idea afterall...

That is so true, why use flimsy plastic for a cowling?

you know, the idea of using the cowling as a form may not be such a terrible idea, only fill it with some other material that is more durable and light enough? Maybe fill it with some of that ultra light spackling. An inside form could be used and then any material that needs to be removed from the inside to make room for things and provid ventilation could be cut/routered out. That would make a stronger nose, but not too much stronger and multiple noses could be made using the plastic cowl as a form...

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:16 PM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
got my order in

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero007

gwsprops.com

I just ordered two cowlings from the link you provided. Thanks, I may need them later on....

Mike