HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:59 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Franken40!!!!

As soon as I get some touch up paint and tro on some decals I think it will look like it never happened. Not so pretty right now, but in the air no one can tell.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:50 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
969 Posts
very nice job you hardly can tell its been broke from the picture. she will fly again..
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:25 AM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Foam Appears to be good stuff to build models out of

I am amazed at how good a foam model can look after a serious crash. The foam pieces glue back together well and if there are any pieces missing, where they were can be filled in with some of that ultra lightweight spackeling. Some repainting, and it looks good as new. The exception being if the plastic cowl is destroyed....

Mike
MikeVictor is offline Find More Posts by MikeVictor
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVictor
I am amazed at how good a foam model can look after a serious crash. The foam pieces glue back together well and if there are any pieces missing, where they were can be filled in with some of that ultra lightweight spackeling. Some repainting, and it looks good as new. The exception being if the plastic cowl is destroyed....

Mike
Also if the plane is made out of the type of foam like these GWS birds, you can use chunks of packaging block foam like the kind that is in the box when you buy a new radio or tv.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:44 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
You just need to get the GWS outrunner stick mount, shown in the following picture. It's much easier to mount this way on the P-40 than with a firewall mount. To get the correct prop clearance from the cowl, just trim off the front of the stick if necessary. Then get a collet-style prop adaptor that fits your shaft... probably a 3mm or 3.17 (1/8 in.) collet. That will give you a 5mm shaft diameter on the prop end, so you will need to use an APC prop with the different hub inserts to fit different shaft sizes, or drill out a GW DD/HD prop to 5mm. Here's the pic:
i got the stick mount thanks, I should be ready for a maiden this weekend, how do you guys get the nose cone to stay on?? perhaps hot glue after the prop adaptor nut has been tightened?
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:25 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by est1976
i got the stick mount thanks, I should be ready for a maiden this weekend, how do you guys get the nose cone to stay on?? perhaps hot glue after the prop adaptor nut has been tightened?
it just pushes on. you have to be careful not to crush the foam though. I kind of pushed and twisted mine on, holding the prop so everything lined up.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:50 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by est1976
The rubber spinner you have to glue inside of the foam one will NOT fit the 5mm shaft of a collet adaptor... the shaft diameter is too large, and usually not long enough either, unless you get an extra long collet like Hyperion makes. Then you have to ream out the center hoel so you can push it on the 5mm shaft. Even then, the foam spinner will usually wobble and vibrate since there is no backing plate to keep the back side of the foam spinner centered. I made a backing plate out of thin ply (balance the plate before attaching the spinner!). Then once the backing plate was balanced, I secured the spinner to it with a very thin ring of flexible glue around the O.D., like Perfect Glue #1 (a silicone adhesive). Then you can easily slice through the adhesive to remove the spinner if you have to replace a prop.

The spinner is a known bad "feature" of the GWS P-40, which is otherwise a nice kit.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,063 Posts
Hey guys,

anybody have an extra battery cover...please
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:18 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Re-maidened the P-40 this afternoon and man it was just too freakin beautiful out. Now wind at all. I stuffed a 2200 mAH 15C lipo in and off it went. I flew at 1/2 throttle once at altitude a noticed a few things. First it took a fair amount of down trim as it just wanted to climb. I balanced it a nose heavy so I am thinking of rigging the elevators with just a touch of nose down at neutral. The rudder required a few clicks of right trim and the ailerons took about 2 clicks left aileron. I had about a 3-5 mph breeze and I found that with that breeze it wanted to float until I nearly cut the power all together at about 6-8 feet so it would settle in. I think it flies just fine with the stock BL motor and the 2200 mah is the perfect battery for it. Now I just need it to settle down in flight and I will be happy.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:38 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
6,926 Posts
Skywarp - the elevator is not flat - i.e., it is airfoil shaped. It took me a while to figure that out. I would trim so the top of the elevator and stab both were square, and I would get a climb. Trimed from the bottom of the stab and it wanted to nose over into a dive. Now, I look at the mold marks on the edge of the stab and elevator to check the trim before I fly.

Fly well,
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:42 AM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Keep that Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
Also if the plane is made out of the type of foam like these GWS birds, you can use chunks of packaging block foam like the kind that is in the box when you buy a new radio or tv.
Now that is a good idea, to save packing foam if it is of the type/similar to the foam the model is made of. Was about to throw some away, decided to keep it after reading this.

Thanks for the tip!

Mike
MikeVictor is offline Find More Posts by MikeVictor
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:44 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Skywarp - the elevator is not flat - i.e., it is airfoil shaped. It took me a while to figure that out. I would trim so the top of the elevator and stab both were square, and I would get a climb. Trimed from the bottom of the stab and it wanted to nose over into a dive. Now, I look at the mold marks on the edge of the stab and elevator to check the trim before I fly.

Fly well,
JimNM
Yes sir! That is exactly how I set mine to neutral, using the mold seam along the edges. My PZ FW-190 was the same way. Balanced correctly and elevator at neutral it still wanted to climb so I set neutral with a very, very slight elevator t.e. down and it did the trick. A little fudging but it works and you still have full trim range if needed.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:03 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,038 Posts
Warp you need to post a pic of your P-40

Sorry! I just saw it. Looks nice.

Heres mine. Only two flights so far and these pics are after. So far so good. It flies great w/ no bad tendancies. Going to fly it right now. hopefully I can say the same thing later today!

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Last edited by GiusedtoBe; Jul 27, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:36 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
GI- Looks awesome. I am kind of bummed that my cool new plane has repair cracks in it. I have to hand it to GWS they put some decent detail into, one of the best looking P-40 kits out there. Good luck with your flight and let me know how it goes.

BTW what size is that spinner and is it a Dubro?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:06 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
6,926 Posts
3" dubro fits pretty well

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM