HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:39 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Just saw this ESC on Hobby King:
TowerPro H40A Brushless Speed Controller

Doesn't look like a bad deal for $10 bucks. The onboard BEC looks like it might be a bit wimpy but I tend to use external BEC's anyway. I like the idea of the external heat sink.

Even if you use an external BEC the cost is still under $20 bucks.
TURNIGY 3A UBEC w/ Noise Reduction
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:48 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
hey, skywarp....have you had a chance to maiden your p 40!!!
Not yet, the weather keeps ruining my plans . Just when the winds are low enough, it starts thunderstorming. When the storms stop, it gets windy. That's Kansas for ya.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:25 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
Not yet, the weather keeps ruining my plans . Just when the winds are low enough, it starts thunderstorming. When the storms stop, it gets windy. That's Kansas for ya.
Ahhh man!
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:39 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Ahhh man!
Worry not, today I believe is the day. It's 75 degrees out, clear skies, and wind 3-5 mph. I will be leaving for the "field" within the hour. (Taking my EDF F-15 also). I don't know if my wife will take any pictures but I will post flight report tonight.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:13 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
The good, the bad, and the ugly...

I maidened the GWS P-40 today and I have to say that once this baby gets its airspeed up it likes to go. The stock motor really performed better than I expected and man does it look big in the air. My Scorpio FW-190 has the same wingspan and does not seem to have anywhere near the presence this plane does. I had a bit of time getting down on the deck to land because it just wanted to stay in the air. It took a few clicks of right aileron and a few clicks of down trim for level flight and it cruised just fine. Like I said, I needed to set up my landing a ways out as even with power nearly off it just chewed up a lot of ground to settle in to the ground. First flight was only about 5 minutes. That was the good.

The Bad: After flying my F-15 around the patch I decided to throw a second battery in the P-40 and give it another go. I was feeling good and even though deep down I felt I was pushing my luck I thought might as well, I didn't come out here to look at it. After a successful range and flight control check, I lined up on the runway, throttled forward, steered straight, ever so slowly eased in the elevator and the plane's nose popped striaght up, then subsequent nose over with enough altitude to level out, but no airspeed then came the tip stall but I recover. Damed if I did. So mad because I leveled it out and reduced power for an emergency ditch in the grass. The worst that would have happened is a nose over in about ankle high grass. That's when it hit a !!! PVC pipe sticking about a foot and half out of the ground!

The Ugly:...the pictures say it all. It doesn't look too bad to me. It should be repairable right guys? Please someone say yes, because the wife was there when it happend and delcared I can't buy a replacement and need to find a cheaper hobby. I suggested beer drinking and shooting pool, but I think you all know how that must have went over .
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:30 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
looks like she should fix up just fine if you have most of the pieces and if you dont go find a cooler or some packing foam to fit in. i prefer an old gws plane that is beyond fixing as this foam is a lot better. anyways i have fixed worse and she flew just fine. good luck. andrew k....
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:55 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
It doesn't look too bad to me. It should be repairable right guys? Please someone say yes, because the wife was there when it happend and delcared I can't buy a replacement and need to find a cheaper hobby. I suggested beer drinking and shooting pool, but I think you all know how that must have went over .

YES!!

GWS planes are very repairable.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:51 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,744 Posts
hi guys, I bought myself a p40 a few days ago ... this is my second plane my first is a 1300w funjet

After reading the last 20 pages or so of this thread I decided to buy the Tower Pro 2409-12t motor but I have been scratching my head over this one as it seems the shaft is sticking out the wrong way. It comes out of the same side where I need to mount the motor! I have tried loosening the grub screws to see if I could slide the shaft through so it comes out the other side but it wont move easily. Do I need to mount this motor the other way or should the shaft be turned around/slid though?

Thanks guys!
MrBen. is online now Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Are there holes on the other side of the motor too? You may need to buy a different motor mount that screws directly onto the bell.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:46 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Here is one of mine that has the motor mount coming out of the same side as yours. There are screws to mount a prop shaft to.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 02:16 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15
Are there holes on the other side of the motor too? You may need to buy a different motor mount that screws directly onto the bell.

no there are only screws on the side shown, also if I did mount itfrom the other side then wouldnt that mean that all the cables are spinning round and round?

Looking now there is more than one version of this motor and I think I should have gotton this one that has the same model number!
MrBen. is online now Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by est1976
hi guys, I bought myself a p40 a few days ago ... this is my second plane my first is a 1300w funjet

After reading the last 20 pages or so of this thread I decided to buy the Tower Pro 2409-12t motor but I have been scratching my head over this one as it seems the shaft is sticking out the wrong way. It comes out of the same side where I need to mount the motor! I have tried loosening the grub screws to see if I could slide the shaft through so it comes out the other side but it wont move easily. Do I need to mount this motor the other way or should the shaft be turned around/slid though?

Thanks guys!
You just need to get the GWS outrunner stick mount, shown in the following picture. It's much easier to mount this way on the P-40 than with a firewall mount. To get the correct prop clearance from the cowl, just trim off the front of the stick if necessary. Then get a collet-style prop adaptor that fits your shaft... probably a 3mm or 3.17 (1/8 in.) collet. That will give you a 5mm shaft diameter on the prop end, so you will need to use an APC prop with the different hub inserts to fit different shaft sizes, or drill out a GW DD/HD prop to 5mm. Here's the pic:
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:00 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by est1976
no there are only screws on the side shown, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
You just need to get the GWS outrunner stick mount, shown in the following picture. It's much easier to mount this way on the P-40 than with a firewall mount. To get the correct prop clearance from the cowl, just trim off the front of the stick if necessary. Then get a collet-style prop adaptor that fits your shaft... probably a 3mm or 3.17 (1/8 in.) collet. That will give you a 5mm shaft diameter on the prop end, so you will need to use an APC prop with the different hub inserts to fit different shaft sizes, or drill out a GW DD/HD prop to 5mm. Here's the pic:
Then what he said.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 03:21 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Hi est1976

I have one of these 2409/12 (not for the p40) and it can be configured in pusher or tractor mode, by changing the prop shart orientation. So carry on with what you started doing and you should be fine, it will reverse.

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:09 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
i have this motor in another configuration. i remove the alan screws one on the front and back. then i pull by hand the outer case off, its a little tuff because of the magnets. then i take the outercase with shaft to the drill press. i put a hole punch in the drill press that has a smaller dia. and press the shat out with the punch.. i then reinsert the shaft backwards and line up the flats for the set screws and walla.. they fly all the same out the front or back.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane