HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:27 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Skywarp - using a different battery to keep your amps down to suit your esc is the wrong track to take, IMHO. The prop and motor combo will draw as much power as they need to spin at the speed they are designed to spin. By using a lesser battery that cannot maintain voltage (and hence wattage) requested by the motor, you are placing a lot of stress on the battery and it will suffer for it. When you buy a new 1300 mah battery that can pruduce the power needed, your esc will be the failure point.

Not trying to rain on your parade... good luck with the maiden. My EPS P-40 flies really well at 31 oz. with a 3s 2500 battery.

JimNM

JimNM
Don't worry about it Jim, I gracefully take all of the advice I can get especially if it will help preserve the plane and the equipment and yield maximum fun . I have to ask (because I just don't know, I am NOT challenging your statement) how will the ESC fail on a new 1300 mah batt? Is it because of the amp draw by the prop and motor? The batt would also be damaged in that even to right?
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:25 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
[PHP]
Quote:
Hi Denial15,

I'd suggest you buying the cowl and others together from Caliber. They charge US$9.90 per order for shipping.

Chen
[PHP]

Chen: You seem like a nice guy but this quote above begins to make me wonder about your sanity. I refuse to do business with Caliber Hobby because of their inflexible $10 shipping charge. -- and for you to condone such a practice really pisses me off. I have written Caliber Hobby regarding this matter and they could care less. It is perfectly OK with them for the hard working hobbiest to pay $10 shipping fee for a 25 cent part. Like the man said, GWS was at one time a good company to do business with but now things have changed: all for the worse. Too bad. You had better figure out how to get your image and service back or your business is going down the tubes.

A very pissed off former GWS customer,

Pete2

By the way; that is a picture of by beloved GWS Tiger Moth up in the corner.
Pete2 is offline Find More Posts by Pete2
Last edited by Pete2; Jul 13, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:22 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I live in Outback Australia so I too face the problem of minimum shipping charges that are high compared to the value of the item purchased. My answer to the problem is to look at my expected 6 month usages of hobby items available from the internet retailer. Will I need new cowlings for my GWS-40 and GWS-190. How many propellers will I need in the next 6 months. How many packets of the cowling studs will I need and so on.Then I make one larger order so that the shipping costs are spread out over many items.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:13 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
PLEASE NOTE: SHIPPING AND HANDLING WILL NOT BE REFUNDED DUE TO ANY RETURNS, NO EXPECTIONS!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:25 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
You Ya-Hoo's will never get total satisfaction with your exorbitant shipping costs. -- When will you understand that ? -- You won't and therefore someone else will replace you.

-- So It Is Written--
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:44 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
@sKywarp - the issue is that your 1300 battery is dropping volts under load - which means less amps though the esc and to the motor. The problem will come when you have to replace your 1300 with a newer and better 3s 1300 battery. That one will not drop volts under load like the old one is doing right now, and you are back to the over amp problem with your esc. If you want to be successful in the long run, treat the problem rather than the symptom. A larger esc is needed for that motor and prop combo - there is no way to get around that.

@GWS CHEN - the $10.00 flat rate shipping is a good deal on a kit, but on accessories it's a sales killer. Why in the world would I pay MORE for S&H than I will for the prop, spinner or set of wheels? The simple answer is that I will never do that. I managed a 100,000 sq foot warehouse for over two years and I have an intimate understanding of both small (single piece) and large (multiple 53 ft trailers loaded) orders. Your friends at Caliber are cutting their own throats, and the throat of the GWS USA market. Soon, GWS will be only a memory unless there are some MAJOR changes made. This song has been sung to GWS, Mr. Lin and to you, Chen, many many times. It hurts to see a great company with long term supper-growth potential, be squandered. I deeply feel that Mr. Lin is getting really bad advice from someone on the inside.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:53 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
Well said, JimNM.

Keep up the drum beat !
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:15 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
@GWS CHEN - the $10.00 flat rate shipping is a good deal on a kit, but on accessories it's a sales killer. Why in the world would I pay MORE for S&H than I will for the prop, spinner or set of wheels? Your friends at Caliber are cutting their own throats, and the throat of the GWS USA market.
I have checked out the link in this post and with a claim of "$1.50 Shipping!!! on Most Orders" it looks like they will become the place in the USA for GWS Spares.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
Open letter to Michael Dundee,kensp & other dear friends who live in the outback:

It was an honor and a privilege to get a letter from you Ken: I, like many others, have come to hold you in high regard and esteem because of your knowledge, insights, and abilities to produce such a wide variety of workable "Things" and solutions to many and various problems over a period of many years. --and I know you would come up with a solution for yourself in your situation in the outback. -- but most of us do not live in the outback.

In fact we live, here in America at least, in an area that celebrates the occurrence of a tea party. (A king, no less, was charging us too much in the way of taxes.)

Ken, I don't even buy green bananas anymore. I am going to be 79 years old in September.
--I won't wait six months for parts so I can get them cheaper. I will help someone out there to get me the parts cheaper. "Heads up RC" and "gws props.com" are darned good starting points.

I just received an e-mail from Jason at GWS Props.com: Regarding his GWS communication regarding the P-40 cowl:
"If he actually has one I'd get it. GWS Factory has shown out of stock for over a year on that cowling. I get at least 10 emails a week for one. They say they have no intensions of making more anytime soon. I tell them there is high demand, but they don't listen."

-- and yet Caliber Hobby" has all the cowls they can handle. --

???????????

-- Long live kensp and his beloved outback --
Last edited by Pete2; Jul 14, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:39 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Well, I've just about had it. I've called around to the local hobby stores and a number of online retailers and no one can get the P-40 cowl - Sorry - The GWS40 cowl. They all say it's either out of stock, back-ordered, or no longer in production.
It appears the ONLY place who carries it is CALIBER HOBBY.

Chen, Mr. Lin, and other GWS employees. We all know GWS owns and/or controls Caliber. You've made it no secret in the past. Why do you insist on such horrible & unfriendly business practices.

Caliber Hobby's "customer service goal" is an absolute lie. "We are committed to providing out customers total satisfaction"
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:40 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
I have checked out the link in this post and with a claim of "$1.50 Shipping!!! on Most Orders" it looks like they will become the place in the USA for GWS Spares.

Ken
looks like a good store ken. i see they are out of stock on everything like most places latly.. man you would think that gws would catch on but i guess not... anyways thanks for another short cut ken..

later andrew k.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:35 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
I do have it balance a touch nose heavy. I don't have a scale to weigh it, but it feels a little heavy. I thought about getting a Dubro spinner for it, I bought one for a similar sized Scorpio FW-190 and it just feels heavy. I do want to use that bigger battery I just have this gut feeling it will be too heavy and I will have to use a larger ESC 35-40 amp. We shall see where it is at with what I have. Thanks and I will keep posted and try to get some photos as well.
headsuprc 32 amp esc 23.95 +2.00 shipping, you'll be glad you did, also gain probably about 5 more minutes flight time..just my 2 cents, eager to hear about your maiden flight good luck..
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:43 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
headsuprc 32 amp esc 23.95 +2.00 shipping, you'll be glad you did, also gain probably about 5 more minutes flight time..just my 2 cents, eager to hear about your maiden flight good luck..
Believe you are correct. I found a 40 amp at BP for $21, looks like I am placing an order this week. Thanks.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:46 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
Skywarp - check that 40 amp esc over to make sure it has a bec....or you'll need a battery or an external esc to power your radio.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:34 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,404 Posts
hey, skywarp....have you had a chance to maiden your p 40!!!
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member