HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:20 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
I use the Rhino 2250 in mine and it balances fine. There is plenty of room in the batery bay for that battery. Not that you would want it, but you could probably even stick a 3000 mAh pack in there.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:58 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
A couple of more questions have just come up while building:

1) How reliable is the provided glue?

2) The hinge material looks rather weak and flimsy to me, is it safe to use? Maybe some hing tape to back it up?

Thanks.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Also thanks guys for the answers on the battery question. I do have several 1300 maH packs I can use, I was just looking for a new home for the 2200. Thanks again.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:13 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
1) How reliable is the provided glue?
The glue is extremely reliable when used in the correct application. It is best for foam to foam contact. GWS is now directing you to glue on the plastic pieces with the GWS glue. I would advise against doing that.

See this post for how to best use the GWS glue.

For the plastic to foam parts, I would use Gorilla Glue. Here's how I use that.

Quote:
2) The hinge material looks rather weak and flimsy to me, is it safe to use? Maybe some hing tape to back it up?

Thanks.
The hinge material is plenty durable. As far as I can recollect, I've never had any tear apart. Occasionally I have had them come out of the foam after a substantial crash, but by that point I have a lot more to fix than the hinge. I mainly use the GWS glue for that, but have also used a very small of Gorilla Glue that I used directly, without adding water.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Cool thanks. I have both the Gorilla Glue and some foam safe CA which I have used for the hinges. I will keep the GG handy. Thanks again.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:15 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
sorry guys i put this on the wrong forum.. andrew k.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Last edited by 57sailplane; Jun 28, 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:20 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Wing assembled

I got the wing assembled and ready. I just need to install and set up my servos. I have to say this airplane really goes together well and quite simple. I feel like I am putting a large scale Revell model together! The more I assemble, the more I can't wait to see how it flies. Very pleased.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,476 Posts
Warp what are you powering the model with? I'm getting ready to start that kit as well.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jul 01, 2009, 02:03 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Warp what are you powering the model with? I'm getting ready to start that kit as well.

Regards,
Alan
It came with a brushless motor (GWS-BL2215/12T) so I am going to try that out and see how it goes. I have a tendancy to build my models completely stock and if it come with a motor I'll use it for a while and THEN if I am not happy with it I upgrade. I have a Turnigy 25Amp ESC and I have a 2200 mAH 15C lipo I want to use but if it is going to be too big or too heavy for the battery bay, then I will stick with some 1300's that I have.
Old Jul 01, 2009, 04:27 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,283 Posts
Quote:
It came with a brushless motor (GWS-BL2215/12T) so I am going to try that out and see how it goes. I have a tendancy to build my models completely stock and if it come with a motor I'll use it for a while and THEN if I am not happy with it I upgrade. I have a Turnigy 25Amp ESC and I have a 2200 mAH 15C lipo I want to use but if it is going to be too big or too heavy for the battery bay, then I will stick with some 1300's that I have.

is your p 40 epo or eps foam..i think eps since it came with the kit.....you will probably appreciate the bigger battery..it will keep your cg forward where it needs to be...
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2009, 06:57 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,476 Posts
Quote:
I think it will fly scale like but you may want more power. I used the same motor that came w/ the FW on a GWS ME-109 and it was perfect for that one IMO and it only weighed 16 oz. battery included. I'm going to use the Power Up 450 plus from headsuprc.com

Regards,
ALan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:14 AM
Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Jun 2004
179 Posts
My P-40

Just finished my P-40
basha53 is offline Find More Posts by basha53
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:25 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Prop questions

My P-40 did not come with the rubber spinner insert to use the 3 blade prop with even though I was given a 3 blade. Not a big deal as I intend to fly the first flights with a 2 blade, however when I do use the 3 blade set up I have an FSK 3 blade 9x7 I would like to use. Anyone else use the FSK? Just to clearify this is not the FSK prop with the GWS hub. Also I gotta ask, isn't the provided 3 blade a bit big for direct drive brushless motor they provided, the BL2215-12T?
Old Jul 09, 2009, 09:22 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
I have been away from this thread for a while now, but happy to report that I have had my P-40 for about a year now and it is still going strong. Started with a Neodym 450 outrunner from EPyaya where I bought the plane as a combo. That motor burned out literally due to me overpropping it like a dumb dumb. I replaced with an Eflite 450. Then moved the 450 to my HZ Cub and put in an Eflite 480. Still flying strong as ever. Barely a scratch on her cept some grass stains on the cowl belly from landings as I fly with no wheels. I reinforced the cowl with glass and epoxy so it is very solid. Also running Eflite 30A Pro ESC and APC 10x7 SF prop. I need the prop to be very slim at the hub so my Carl Goldburg 3in snap together spinner will fit on the prop adapter with the prop. It flys very well with this setup. The SF prop still gives great vertical and speed and long flight times. I havent checked amp draw ever but it has got to be low because I chicken out at about 15-20 mins of mixed flying on a 2200Lipo and land. Have never reached LVC.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:59 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
I've had a love hate relationship with mine lately. I've had a 480 size motor running a MAS 9x7-3blade. When it flies, I love it. Too many nose overs with the LG has beat up the cowl too much.

Two days ago was the last straw. I took the LG off and hand launched. It was as if the battery was lose and bouncing inside the fuse, my expo was reversed, and I had never flown before. It lasted about 20 seconds until I could get it about 3/4 circuit to land when it nosed into a pavilion roof. The entire front end forward of the leading edge of the wing was completely demolished.

I have all of the foam to put it back together, but the cowl is done for. It was obliterated into pieces too small to see with the naked eye.