SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 09:37 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
wow !! thase cowlings really look good. I am very eager to see how this project progresses..your brother in law is getting the hook up...keep up the good work
Thanks ryramZ.

I got the motor mount built and the fuselage halves glued. Pretty straight forward install, no photos. I really only want to post photos where I deviate from the stock build, but I couldn't resist taking a couple pictures of the pilot sitting in his cockpit.
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
Last edited by haiduk; Jun 06, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2009, 08:11 AM
Pula, Croatia
Joined Jan 2009
37 Posts
p-40

nice pilot!
marko_pu is offline Find More Posts by marko_pu
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:17 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
hey everybody what's new...what's new with me is a new epo p 40 in the mail, my last endured a near fatal esc blow out...i had just hand launched it, and was getting ready to bank a turn and come back towards me when i lost all control, there was smoke trails, the plane went into a nose dive i've got no control at all , then right before it hits the ground there is an explosion.. when i got to the crash site i had discovered that the esc flare out blew the solder from the connections all over the place and the motor and stick out of the fuse..i thought i was going to find the battery in pieces shoved up into the cockpit, however it was not damaged at all..i never had any trouble with that esc before, i wonder if i have been overloading it and it just couldn't take it anymore...on the next one i'll use a 40a esc instead of 32, and i'll prop down from 10 6 to 9 6..the 3530 1400 kv is suppose to like the smaller props....anyone have any suggestions..thanks...
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:05 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
i wonder if i have been overloading it and it just couldn't take it anymore...on the next one i'll use a 40a esc instead of 32, and i'll prop down from 10 6 to 9 6..the 3530 1400 kv is suppose to like the smaller props....anyone have any suggestions..thanks...
I have 2 of the Turnigy 3530-14 motors, and the biggest prop you should run to avoid over-amping is 8x4 wide open all the time. With short bursts of full throttle you can just slightly over-amp with a 8x6 or a 9x4.5
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,679 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if i have been overloading it and it just couldn't take it anymore...on the next one i'll use a 40a esc instead of 32, and i'll prop down from 10 6 to 9 6..the 3530 1400 kv is suppose to like the smaller props....anyone have any suggestions..thanks...
Yes, I have a suggestion.... several in fact. Take the time to find out how much power (amps) your equipment can take SAFELY on a continuous basis, then take the time to confirm what props are recommended for your motor by the manufacturer (or confirmed by other's static tests) to limit the power draw to that level, and stop guessing or "flying and trying" until something smokes. To do otherwise will be a costly easy way out as you just found out. Sorry if this sounds like a lecture

If you can, invest in a watt meter to actually test your set up to see if you are over-amping the components. Your equipment will thank you for it and pay you back with many hours of dependable service.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:17 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry076
I have 2 of the Turnigy 3530-14 motors, and the biggest prop you should run to avoid over-amping is 8x4 wide open all the time. With short bursts of full throttle you can just slightly over-amp with a 8x6 or a 9x4.5

Larry, and Frank,

thanks for your advice, i am going to get the turnigy 3530-10..the specs at heads up rc say that the 10 6 prop should draw 21 amps with 38 oz. of thrust, their tests are done with a 2200 lipo...do you guys think i should still get a 40 amp esc.. thanks in advance..
Ramsey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:01 PM
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Larry, and Frank,

thanks for your advice, i am going to get the turnigy 3530-10..the specs at heads up rc say that the 10 6 prop should draw 21 amps with 38 oz. of thrust, their tests are done with a 2200 lipo...do you guys think i should still get a 40 amp esc.. thanks in advance..
Ramsey
I'm using that motor on a plane with a 9x6 prop and a Turnigy 30 amp ESC
with 4 servos and it runs cool. I'm thinking about adding a UBEC to it just to be safe.

A 30 amp has a fair safety margin if you will be drawing 21 amps max, but watch the BEC. If you are running 4 servos, you might want the get a seperate UBEC unit, or get an ESC with a good BEC, the 40 amp Turnigy has a bigger BEC than the 30 amp.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:05 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Larry, and Frank,

Ramsey
Comparing the Turnigy 30 Amp ESC and the Turnigy 40 Amp ESC shows that the burst current for the 30 Amp ESC is 40 Amp. This will be more than adequate for a motor drawing 21 Amps. So considerable savings can be made in both weight and cost by using the 30 Amp ESC.

I used the Turnigy 30 AMP ESC on my Formosa II. The motor on this model drew a max of 22 Amps.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:33 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Thanks guys.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:52 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Finished the P40

I finished my brother-in-laws P40 and wanted to post some photos.

Final weight with the 2200 FlightMax pack is 34.3 ounces with the heavy 3" Great Planes spinner. Not too bad. Only a little porky. It should fly like a warbird. It does have flaps so I'm hoping it all works out well.

It has the 3530 1050kv Turnigy spinning a MAS 11x7 prop. Using the 40amp Turnigy ESC with an external UBEC. Static current is around 23 amps. Definitely has enough thrust. I didn't measure the thrust on the scale, but it holds the plane up with each leading edge in the palm of my hands. I'm guessing thrust to be in the 40 ounce range.

I still have a fair amount of touch up painting left to do, but she's ready for a maiden flight. This is my brother-in-laws first warbird. Hopefully the color scheme will be visible enough for him.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:27 PM
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Nice paint job Haiduk. What decals come with the P-40? Does it have Flying Tigers Chinese markings?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:13 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry076
Nice paint job Haiduk. What decals come with the P-40? Does it have Flying Tigers Chinese markings?
Thanks Larry

The kit ships with American, British and Chinese decals. Yes, it includes most the Flying Tigers Chinese markings.

EDIT: Found the jpg of the decal sheets.
Last edited by haiduk; Jun 22, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
My first GWS build

I have finally decided to put my GWS P-40 together. I have all of my gear ready, the question I have first is that even though the manual says to use 1300-2200 mah lipos, will a Zippy 2200maH pack fit in the battery bay or will I have to remove some foam to get it there, also will that be too much weight for battery in there? I would like to use that pack for this bird because I had originaly bought it for my EDF F-15, but it is too small and and I would like to put it to use. I will not start a build thread since we already have threads for this plane. Just asking questions. Also are there any other things to watch out for assembly wise? Thanks. This plane looks sharp as heck and I can't wait to get it in the air.
skywarp1 is online now Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
I have finally decided to put my GWS P-40 together. I have all of my gear ready, the question I have first is that even though the manual says to use 1300-2200 mah lipos, will a Zippy 2200maH pack fit in the battery bay or will I have to remove some foam to get it there, also will that be too much weight for battery in there? I would like to use that pack for this bird because I had originaly bought it for my EDF F-15, but it is too small and and I would like to put it to use. I will not start a build thread since we already have threads for this plane. Just asking questions. Also are there any other things to watch out for assembly wise? Thanks. This plane looks sharp as heck and I can't wait to get it in the air.
Mine balances just right with Zippy 1300 mAH 20C 3S packs, foam spinner, and no LG. I think you will definitely be nose heavy.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:18 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,048 Posts
Mine flies with a 2200 mAh pack jammed as far forward as possible so I think you should be OK. Check my blog if you are interested.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F