HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2009, 12:18 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsky
A couple of pictures of my motor, mount and spinner. Yes the plane is going to be white/top and blue/bottom...it will be a Russian P-40 Tomahawk.

Motor:
BP A2814-8 Brushless Outrunner Motor
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B1858544

Mount:
A30 (AXI 2820 sized) 10mm stick mount
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2659

Spinner:
3" Black Spinner with Aluminum Backplate:
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2452

The BP outrunner has a collar on the shaft on the mounting side, so I had to open up the center hole of the motor mount to clear this collar. Nice sturdy machined aluminum motor mount, not bad for $8.

Jimsky
Looks nice, but I think you are going to need considerable tail weight to get proper balance with that set up.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2009, 07:39 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, with the anticipated 350-400 watts off a 4S 2500 Excite packs I can afford a bit of ballast if required.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old May 06, 2009, 09:14 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,183 Posts
I'm using the bigger motor (2826-06) on my EPS P40. With a large spinner and APC E 10x7 prop I needed 3/4 oz in the tail when flying with a 2200 3s. I'm around 280 watts - yours at ~400 watts ought to fly pretty spunky.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 06, 2009, 11:44 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
The plane and motor were free...I plan to use this as my flyer for the 2009 NEAT Fair Warbird Mass Launch. I want something a fast and heavy, so if I do hit someone else it will be fun for the crowd.

Here's video from the 2007 NEAT Fair Warbird Mass Launch.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12185956

Jimsky
Old May 06, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Who brought the Pink Spitfire
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old May 06, 2009, 02:16 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
It takes a man confident in his masculinity to fly a pink Spitty. Hats off to whoever that chap was...

He's a mock up that I did in Photoshop of what my Russian P-40 should look like.

Jimsky
Old May 06, 2009, 02:41 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,183 Posts
IIRC - the pink Spit was a recon unit operating in the Tunisian desert. All go and no guns. Yep, those guys had a real case of "man".
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 08, 2009, 05:58 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Hey guys, is the landing gear strong enough for couple of hard landings? I have a FW190 GWS, after a while I need to replace both front and the rear as it cannot handle the weight of the new motor. If ever what kind did you use?
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old May 08, 2009, 02:15 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky
Hey guys, is the landing gear strong enough for couple of hard landings? I have a FW190 GWS, after a while I need to replace both front and the rear as it cannot handle the weight of the new motor. If ever what kind did you use?
I bent up new gear from 3/32 inch K&S Music Wire.To fit them the only mod was to drill out the 2 mm hole in the mount to 3/32 inch. 3/32 inch is 2.3 mm and the stock legs are 2 mm.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old May 09, 2009, 04:49 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Thanks Ken for the tip!
Old May 09, 2009, 05:01 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Dallas
Here are a couple of shots of my P-40. It has drawn a lot of attention at the airfield and has prompted a bunch of the guys to get these or the FW-190 to have a little combat and racing. Mine's done as a 325thFS Checkered Tail nicknamed Trixie. Unfortunately I cant find any picture of the Trixie pinup nose art to add to the front...still searching. It runs on the GWS 2215-12 with 3S and 4S 1320 batteries. I really like the power on 4S but the motor gets pretty hot with the 10x6 three blade. I will be going to the Turnagy 35-30C-1100 once it arrives which should be quite nice. Last item to get is the pilot of which I'm still looking for. Trying to find something nice and scale. Other than that I'm having a great time doing scale looking maneuvers and making mock straffing runs on the other planes in the air. Let the games begin!

Randy

Hey rcdallas, nice paint job, what kind of color is that in your fuselage? I thought it's an olive drab but it's more greenish than brownish, I like this color scheme, this will be a baby brother for my new kyosho p40 trixie!
Old May 11, 2009, 09:32 PM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Got my GWS 40 kit

My GWS 40 arrived a few days ago, will be building it in a few weeks. Have other projects on the table at the moment.

I bought a kit that is radio ready, everything there except for the receiver and radio. Painted green/light green. Will change that to dessert camo like that used by RAF on Minalta in WWII. I had a relative that flew them with the RAF 112 SQD there, he lost his life while conducting a ground attack in the Sicily invasion under Monte's command. Warrant Officer Fred Vance was his name. He is buried in an RAF cemetery on Sicily not far from where he was shot down.

Mike
MikeVictor is offline Find More Posts by MikeVictor
Old May 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
Anyone know where I could get a vertical stabilizer/rudder for a GWS 40? I was putting a kit together about three months and that part apparently dematerialized into thin air one night. I've been waiting for it to turn up somewhere, but I'm getting discouraged.

Condre'
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old May 12, 2009, 10:08 AM
Jody Bradshaw
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Conn
Anyone know where I could get a vertical stabilizer/rudder for a GWS 40? I was putting a kit together about three months and that part apparently dematerialized into thin air one night. I've been waiting for it to turn up somewhere, but I'm getting discouraged.

Condre'
http://gwsprops.com/

I met this guy at SEFF. Really nice guy. He should have what you need.
JMBRAD is offline Find More Posts by JMBRAD
Old May 15, 2009, 11:59 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
Unfortunately, he's out and doesn't know when GWS will produce more. Oh, well, my backup plan is to make one out of a piece of a GWS spitfire wing.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'