HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:11 AM
Pula, Croatia
Joined Jan 2009
37 Posts
p-40

hi!
I have cca 250watt , the plane is flying great but max RTF weight is about 730g! 740g is too much, you'll have problems on landing!
marko_pu is offline Find More Posts by marko_pu
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:49 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAsaPrice
I had the same problem and wanted to mount a GP 3" spinner with aluminum back. I could not find an adapter long enough for this.

I tried an adapter that mounted on the shaft, but this didn't work well for me. (something like this: http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_61&products_id=2360&osCs id=0293fe585f8d29e9f8ddb8a1f00f1ab4). I couldn't get this to work w/o vibration, though I realize now that I may have had a bent shaft.

I ended up machining my own adapter with sufficient length to do the job. I made it to mount on the back of the engine. The first think I have ever made on my Unimat DB200.

This worked like a charm.

Bear in mind that the 3" spinner adds significant weight, and you will have to add ALOT of weight to the tail. (about 1/2 a stick of GWS clay! if using a 3S 2100 mah motor)

Also note that I think the added weight IMPROVES the flying characteristics of this plane. My landings are much smoother with the added 3" spinner and weight on the tail. I still have practically unlimited vertical with the EPYAYA high-performance configuration.

Good luck.
you must have had a bent shaft as i run this on my fw190 and i was spinning this on my p-51 mustang with a hacker 30-28s a 7x11 apc sport prop with a 2.25 inch spinner this set up would book.. note the props had to be balanced to run right on the mustang.. i am just saying it does work and is definatly worth a try expecailly if you dont have any other way to run it like me. later andrew k
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:33 PM
Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Jun 2004
180 Posts
Help with spinner

I was hoping that one of you fine folks out there would be able to help out.
I went thru almost all the posts but I still have not found an adaptor or reference to a spinner. I went with the Great Planes 3" w/alum back plate but the shaft hole is like 8 mm. I am going to use the BP 2409 with the 3mm shaft. I have looked at most of the hobby supply houses on line and cannot find anything close.
How has the GWS spinner set up worked that is supplied with the kit? That looks like it will have to be my only choice.

Thanks, Gary
basha53 is offline Find More Posts by basha53
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:58 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basha53
How has the GWS spinner set up worked that is supplied with the kit? That looks like it will have to be my only choice.

Thanks, Gary
I modified the GWS-40 Spinner as shown in this post and it has worked very well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...52&postcount=8

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
Now, I can help you out with that one! -- It has worked great for me.

I cut a piece of brass tubing and thread the inside with a metric tap the same size as the 2409 shaft thread. I thread it a good 1/2" deep into the brass tubing and then cut it off at the end of the flatened length (Where I held the brass tube when putting the threads in it) I then dremel a sharp point on the very end of the flatened section. Thread the brass tube onto the 2409. Drill a slightly undersized hole into the provided rubber spinner/Foam spinner (Already cemented together) and press the sharp point into the cemented-together spinners into the drilled hole you used when balancing the spinner combination.

After you balance the prop (I use a GWS 9X5) and the spinner (separately), I balance them together marking the prop and the spinner as to the orientation they go together.

If necessary, you can use a drop of white glue to hold the pieces together. If you are carefull with the hole sizzes, this step is not necessary.

Good luck !
Pete2 is offline Find More Posts by Pete2
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:29 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
The stock rubber spinner should already have a hole in the center that will force fit on a 3mm shaft, but you need to secure the aft end of the foam to keep it centered. That can be done with any thin and uniform material drilled and cut in a circular shape with the hole perfectly centered to match the diameter of the aft end of your foam piece. Thin ply may be harder to balance than other more homogenous material, like a piece of hardboard counter top material. It's important than the aft plate is perfectly balanced.

Place the plate behind your prop and tighten. I use Perfect Glue No. 1 to secure the foam to that aft plate. It's a contact cement that allows some repositioning as it slowly dries, and it remains flexible so it's possible to run a hobby knife blade through the joint if you need to remove it to replace a prop. When installing the foam piece, spread the glue around the back side outer rim of the foam, push on the spinner until the glue makes contact with the rear plate, then center it and push it firmly against the plate. Then remove it for a minute or two to let the glue get tacky. Then reinstall, center it as best you can, and then RUN THE MOTOR UP SLOWLY TO WOT. You can then reposition the foam slightly until it spins true with the least amount of vibration. This works, although it is a bit of a pain to have to jump through these hoops.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:16 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Having trashed my foam spinner, before it even got in the air I need another!

I was going to make it out of soft balsa and build it forward from a lite ply back plate. Anybody got any other options?

Thanks

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:32 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthefarrow
Having trashed my foam spinner, before it even got in the air I need another!

I was going to make it out of soft balsa and build it forward from a lite ply back plate. Anybody got any other options?

Thanks

nick
Just glue a square piece of foam to something you can attach to a drill. Ruff cut the spinner with a knife. Once it is close, finish it off with the drill and some sand paper.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:33 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Thanks denial15,

I get the basic idea but ,cutting out for the prop and then attaching centrally to the collet still is beyond me using this method. I was going to use 2/3 small bolts to secure the spinner to the lite ply plate that would be behind the prop, having been secured when the nut in the collet was tightened. Then the collet would tighten to the prop shaft via the grub screws. This way is could all be done/undone and prop changed when it snaps
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:52 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
I'm using a Dubro spinner on my P-40, but I'm using the foam spinner on my ME-109. For that I cut the lid off of a steel soup can and drilled a hole in the center. I put the steel plate (lid) on the prop behind the prop nut and tighten it down. I used canopy glue and put the spinner on the plate. I just spin the prop around with my hand a few times to get it centered. It has seemed to work pretty well.

The problem I have had with using wood/balsa back plates is it is hard to get it tight. The wood seems to compress and does not create a tight fit. I've lost a few spinners with wood back plates.
Last edited by denial15; Mar 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: See bold. prop nut - not spinner
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
denial15,

Thanks that sounds like a good bit of advice.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:51 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Hey, I just noticed a little of an error in my above advice. I'm sure you got the message, but I figure I'll clarify just to make certain.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:36 PM
Orange, Ca
Joined Jan 2009
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basha53
I was hoping that one of you fine folks out there would be able to help out.
I went thru almost all the posts but I still have not found an adaptor or reference to a spinner. I went with the Great Planes 3" w/alum back plate but the shaft hole is like 8 mm. I am going to use the BP 2409 with the 3mm shaft. I have looked at most of the hobby supply houses on line and cannot find anything close.

Thanks, Gary
Check out Headsuprc.com

They have great prices and are very helpful. They have 3mm push on spinners as well as adapters. Good luck!
Elguapo123 is offline Find More Posts by Elguapo123
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:39 AM
Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Jun 2004
180 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I will have to work on them.
Gary
basha53 is offline Find More Posts by basha53
Old Apr 09, 2009, 02:28 PM
Pula, Croatia
Joined Jan 2009
37 Posts
p-40

crashed again!
but is flying allready.. :-))
marko_pu is offline Find More Posts by marko_pu