HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:43 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
If it wants to climb all the way around the wing tip and try to eat your other hand
LOL. That's the normal test I use, and this is about where I'm at.

For some reason I freak out. I hate maiden flights. I haven't had a maiden yet where I've lost a plane, but I'm always nervous. I think the F-15 maiden was the most nerve racking.

We just got a couple more inches of the white fluffy stuff, so the maiden will have to wait. So much for the greatest snow on Earth.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:53 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,540 Posts
I also shoot for 1:1 thrust to weight ratio, but mainly to assure good climbing ability, not as a "will it fly" measure.

If there's enough pitch speed, a 1:2 thrust to weight ratio is usually enough to fly, but it can make a big difference if you are hand launching or have gear doing a ROG.

Mine has no LG, but with your weight difference, sounds like yours does.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:23 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Yes, I plan on going with the gear. At least for the first few flights. The weight was added because I decided to go with a Dubro spinner in place of the foam GWS one.

If not for the spinner, I think I would have balanced with no unnecessary weight added. I think it would have saved just over 5 oz too. The thinks we do to look good.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:28 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
denial,

What's your CG? IIRC, I flew mine at 48mm which was ahead of the CG range listed in the plans. I also used a DuBro 3" gasser spinner and a TP eXtreme 2070 lipo. I originally put weight in the tail to balance at 55mm, but that wound up being tail heavy and I took it back out. Flew just fine at 48mm.

My AUW was just a hair over 24oz. Are you still using the 480 outrunner that you mentioned above?

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15
Yes, I plan on going with the gear. At least for the first few flights. The weight was added because I decided to go with a Dubro spinner in place of the foam GWS one.

If not for the spinner, I think I would have balanced with no unnecessary weight added. I think it would have saved just over 5 oz too. The thinks we do to look good.
I hear you. That spinner DOES look great... I nixed it for the weight reasons you mentioned, but have to deal with the foam spinner issues. As long as I don't bust a prop belly landing and have to remove the spinner, I've got it under control using a backing plate with foam tack glued to it. But it's a pain to get balanced.

Good luck on the maiden! I'm sure it will fly (fast)... land with good speed and go light on the elevator throws as was mentioned.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:36 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
You can also check out my build thread for more details on my spinner and setup.

Pat
Old Feb 10, 2009, 02:01 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
denial,

What's your CG? IIRC, I flew mine at 48mm which was ahead of the CG range listed in the plans. I also used a DuBro 3" gasser spinner and a TP eXtreme 2070 lipo. I originally put weight in the tail to balance at 55mm, but that wound up being tail heavy and I took it back out. Flew just fine at 48mm.

My AUW was just a hair over 24oz. Are you still using the 480 outrunner that you mentioned above?

Pat
Right now I am a touch nose heavy at 55mm. I like them a bit nose heave to start off. And yes, I am using that same 480. This is the motor. I've had pretty good luck with The Don's motors. This is a 1020kv.

And I looked through your build thread when I did mine. I stole your cockpit. It looks nice.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 02:13 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
I'd say bump that CG up to at least 50mm. I recall others stating that the plane was tail heavy at 55mm, and 60mm (back range of the suggested CG in the manual) is asking for trouble.

Pat
Old Feb 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Pat
How is the conversion coming? The GWS40 gets the nod as the Ultra-fly is too small.

MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Feb 10, 2009, 04:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
It got stalled. I'll try to get to it soon, but it's show time in this part of the country. I had FEAR and SuperFly 7 in October, AZ Jet Rally in November, AEF last month, a new electric-only event ("Watt's Up") in Tucson this month, EFExpo and the TIMPA Jet Rally next month. I'll try to sneak it in somewhere in between.

Pat
Old Feb 10, 2009, 05:30 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
It got stalled. I'll try to get to it soon, but it's show time in this part of the country. I had FEAR and SuperFly 7 in October, AZ Jet Rally in November, AEF last month, a new electric-only event ("Watt's Up") in Tucson this month, EFExpo and the TIMPA Jet Rally next month. I'll try to sneak it in somewhere in between.

Pat
You are busy guy! Glad you are having fun!
We will see it when we see it and I know it will be good!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:06 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
GWS 40 Motor mount

Hi, forgive me but I am new to foamies and new to electric. I have built the GWS 40 as per the plans and have the wood fitted in the lower position as recommended for an outrunner motor. Could someone help me in that I have no idea what motor to obtain nor how to fit it to the wood mounting. tks Phil
senatoruk is offline Find More Posts by senatoruk
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:24 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,177 Posts
try one like this...

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-11...e-Stick/Detail
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:48 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,854 Posts
Top Motor Picks for GWS P-40?

Ok guys, have read through this thread from beginning to end, seen several motor recommendations. Looking to make this my 2nd Warbird. Currently flying the AT P-51D with a BP 2217-9 and a 10x4.7 prop on a 1300mah.

I think the Park 450-480 would be best for this, but what have you found in generics as it's equal. I've looked at BP, Rim Fire, Tower Pro, Don's and Turnigy from info I found here, but some references on here assume we all know the model numbers of all these different manufactures of motors. Was having trouble finding some of the numbers like a 2217/7.

I don't want a bunch of Amp sucking Speed. I like Thrust for Vertical climbs and the most Scale-Like performance. I like my foamy's to look like heavy lumbering slow rolling, slow looping Real Warbirds and I want to be flying in up to 10 mph winds. I like cruising around the pattern at 50 to 60% throttle. Yet, I like to make strafing runs/Hot Low Passes at WOT when I get in the mood. Will probably test fly with the 1300, but want to go to an 1800 or 2200 Battery. I am using the BP 30A ESC, so want to keep the motor around 28A peaks using a 10-11" prop size. 10x4.7, 10x7, 11x4.7, 11x7.

So please send me your flown motor recommendations for this bird.

I'm taking names and model numbers and checking them twice!

Here's a Turnigy I found that looks to be close to a Park 480.
What do you think??

2217 16

Thanks in advance!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:14 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
It looks like that motor is closer to a Park 450. I'm running a 480 equivalent in mine. I've yet to maiden, but from the looks of things, it should do pretty well. I got my motor from The Don. I posted a link a few posts up.