HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:57 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
592 Posts
Finally

Finally got my P-40 sorted out- replaced the low on power GWS outrunner with a park 450 and a 10/7 sf prop- used a 3 inch dubro spinner( with metal backplate)- It flys great now.

The only issue I have right now is the landing gear- it is very wobly- Has anyone found a fix? I was considering using a piece of music wire bound to the original gear with Ca'ed thread running from the bottom to above the spring to stiffen it.

Cub Fan
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:14 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Fan

The only issue I have right now is the landing gear- it is very wobly- Has anyone found a fix? I was considering using a piece of music wire bound to the original gear with Ca'ed thread running from the bottom to above the spring to stiffen it.

Cub Fan
I use 3/32 K&S music wire to bend up new UC legs on all my larger GWS Kits. The original GWS UC legs are 2mm wire and 3/32 equals 2.3 mm so the diameter is increased by 15%. The K&S wire is also stiffer for the same diameter so a 3/32 leg is a big improvement on the stock one.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:22 PM
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
592 Posts
Thanks Ken- that sounds like a good Idea- the stock ones are like Jello

Cub fan
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:24 PM
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
592 Posts
Heres a picture of my P-40 in flight
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:54 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,761 Posts
Howdy fellas. I peeked at a few pages on this thread, but I'm not about to sit down and go through all 83 pages looking for the answers. The ones I read didn't cover them.

I'm finally starting on mine. I am planning on using a 480 outrunner, 30 amp esc and the E-Flight 8.7x6x3 that they used on the Corsair. The E-Flight Corsair is a similar size, running a similar setup. Has anyone else tried that prop?

Most of my GWS kits have been build fairly close to the specs in the manuals and have all flown great. Are there any concerns I should have, or anything I should do differently than the manual suggests?

Thanks for your help,
Dan.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jan 01, 2009, 08:07 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Fan
Heres a picture of my P-40 in flight
I thought I recognized the plane. I hear if flies really well. Bring it to the club next time!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 01, 2009, 04:23 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15
Howdy fellas. I peeked at a few pages on this thread, but I'm not about to sit down and go through all 83 pages looking for the answers. The ones I read didn't cover them.

I'm finally starting on mine. I am planning on using a 480 outrunner, 30 amp esc and the E-Flight 8.7x6x3 that they used on the Corsair. The E-Flight Corsair is a similar size, running a similar setup. Has anyone else tried that prop?

Most of my GWS kits have been build fairly close to the specs in the manuals and have all flown great. Are there any concerns I should have, or anything I should do differently than the manual suggests?

Thanks for your help,
Dan.
That Corsair is about 10% larger and 10-20% heavier than the GWS P-40 (depending on whether you have EPS or EPO version and going with or without the LG). So, that corsair power plant would certainly be enough, but you might have an issue with being a bit nose heavy. Mine balance just right with a 400 class outrunner and 1300 3S lipo pack with the foam stock spinner and no LG. That E-Flite outrunner has a spec kV of 960, so you could most likely prop up to a less-scale-looking 10x5 or 10x6 2-blade prop if you prefer more thrust with a little less speed as I do with mine.

Just keep the tail feather control deflections low per the manual. If you try to crank them up to get "better" aerobatic performance, you can induce an unexpected roll tendency at lower speeds.

Good luck with it. It's a nice looking and performing plane.

<edit> You might have a size mismatch between wing halves at the root as I and many others had. This post shows how I dealt with it to keep the wings in proper alignment.

Also, the stock foam spinner is very problematic... it needs a plate to attach to the spinner behind the prop to keep it centered properly. I used a thin ply backing plate and glued the spinner on with Perfect Glue #1 (while spinning the motor to assure it's centered). This glue has good "grab" yet stays flexible and can be sliced through easily to remove the spinner for a prop change. Nice plastic third-party spinners are used by many folks, but it makes the plane more nose heavy. <edit>
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 01, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:29 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,761 Posts
I'm almost finished. I need to print some decals and some stars and bars. I also need to decide how much I want to cut out of the front cowl for cooling.

I spent most of the day today on the paint job. Call me crazy, but I like the schemes that are a little more unique. I haven't seen anyone do this one yet.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jan 04, 2009, 01:24 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
You did Good! It was time well spent! I can't wait to see it finished.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:29 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Hi,

I have just about finished building my non epo Christmas present. I have a 2217/7 960kv with a 10x8 prop which gives 220 watts at 20 amps, feels like its going to go well Any ideas on keeping the front cowl in shape. I was thinking of glassing it but was also wodering about expanding foam with protective tubing for the venting etc.

Thanks

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Jan 05, 2009, 07:59 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Slightly bending the LG forward and landing softly is the best cure for a soft cowl. No need to build it up like a battering ram unless you plan on crash landings.

Good luck with he maiden and follow on flights!

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:17 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Mine does not have an undercarriage - the field I fly from is to rough so its hand launch and belly landing
Old Jan 05, 2009, 11:58 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthefarrow
Mine does not have an undercarriage - the field I fly from is to rough so its hand launch and belly landing
Nick, do a search of my P-40 posts. I grass land mine and have had a couple of nose-knocker landings with no damage, but I did add some reinforcement in the lower cowl portion where the impact will occur. Basically it's just a horizontal 1/8 in. balsa bulkhead across the whole cowl with a 1/8 in. balsa "impact" plate on the firewall where it makes contact when the cowl is in place. Then I filled the lower portion under the bulkhead with foaming PU glue with lots of moisture to get really good foaming. It's light and quite strong against even abnormal landings in grass. If you have hard dirts, rocks, etc., who knows?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 06, 2009, 03:03 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Thanks Tom - I 'll do it!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 04:29 PM
Joined Jan 2007
390 Posts
If anyone out there is having problems coming up with a distinctive color scheme to set their model apart from the rest, I submit these photos for your consideration. Over the years I've seen T-6's made upto look like Zeros and Focke Wulfs, but at least one movie company thought tht the T-6 would make good for the American fighter. What do you think they chose to make into a German Me-109?
SMRTIC is offline Find More Posts by SMRTIC