HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 06, 2008, 07:09 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
jismail

It is nice to see another GWS-40 fitted with flaps.

It is unfortunate that you did all that work to fit Mustang style plain flaps when the full sized P-40 was fitted with the simpler to make split flap.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2008, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
jismail

It is nice to see another GWS-40 fitted with flaps.

It is unfortunate that you did all that work to fit Mustang style plain flaps when the full sized P-40 was fitted with the simpler to make split flap.

Ken
Yeah, oh well..... the mold from GWS has the flaps already pre-designed into the wing as the removeable type so I just went with it.

I used a single servo in the wing center with a 'Y" linkage to connect to a pair of "Z" shaped acuator rods and it went in pretty easy.

The rods are the type that have about an inch long portion of the rod that stabs into the foam of the flap and then runs down the edge, and I just made a small groove between the flap and the wing center compartment for the rod to sit in.
jismail is offline Find More Posts by jismail
Old Nov 07, 2008, 12:24 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail
Yeah, oh well..... the mold from GWS has the flaps already pre-designed into the wing as the removeable type so I just went with it.

I used a single servo in the wing center with a 'Y" linkage to connect to a pair of "Z" shaped acuator rods and it went in pretty easy.

The rods are the type that have about an inch long portion of the rod that stabs into the foam of the flap and then runs down the edge, and I just made a small groove between the flap and the wing center compartment for the rod to sit in.
Looks fine to me... I'd have done it the same way since strict adherence to scale is not an issue to me. I'll be interested in how it performs. I have flaperon function programmed into my P-40, but seldom use it... my P-40 was built very light (no LG) and has a reasonably slow landing speed with no serious stalling tendency for the way I normally belly land.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 09, 2008, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
jismail,

Let us know how it goes. I may do mine with flaps soon.

MERLIN,

Pat

Well, I got her up in the air yesterday....

I found that having the flaps set at an auto deploy at 30% or less thrust was hard to really coordiate on approach where I often do a lot of throttle management from deadstick to full power depending on the needs of the landing, so I disabled the auto function and went to straight on or off by the flap swith.

Once I did that, wow, what a difference. The bird glided in at a much slower speed then previously required, and did not tipstall at the last instant as this bird was prone to before.

I would say that this was a success and as easy of a mod as it is, I would encourage others to do it if they are looking for this type of enhancement!
jismail is offline Find More Posts by jismail
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:35 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,686 Posts
Some pics for Merlin.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:01 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Some pics for Merlin.

Pat
Thank you Pat!
This helps a lot!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Nov 13, 2008, 03:06 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Excellent Potential!

Looks like I need to get myself a GWS P-40 now.

Thank you Pat.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:14 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Hi,

I have read most of this thread and an still wondering what is a 'good' motor for the p40. I have good experience of tower pro 2409/12 but think that it wont turn the larger props for the p40 giving the better thrust. I'd like to get a reasonable balance between thrust and speed.

SO would I go far wrong with a getting the bl3008 and using the 3 blade prop?

Thanks

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:35 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,509 Posts
I run the BL3008 with a three blade GWS prop on my FW190 (similar size/weight) and found the performance kinda lacking. The combo generates a huge amount of left torque and the plane usually lifts before I have enough speed over the wings and rudder to counter it. Makes take offs kind of hairy! Once in the air, it flies fine but not fast. An 1100kv class motor on a 5 pitch prop just doesn't bite off enough air. I just replaced my 9x5x3 with a 10x7 for better performance.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Nov 14, 2008, 09:07 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Thanks James

Some 10x6 data gives 3008-16T.......10.47v.......17.2a.......32.3 oz thrust

So the 10x7 would pep it up a bit more and represents a good thrust/speed balance.

I seem to have a knack for fitting combinations that are marginal and so I'd like to get it rightand do this once!

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Nov 14, 2008, 09:43 AM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthefarrow
Thanks James

Some 10x6 data gives 3008-16T.......10.47v.......17.2a.......32.3 oz thrust

So the 10x7 would pep it up a bit more and represents a good thrust/speed balance.

I seem to have a knack for fitting combinations that are marginal and so I'd like to get it right and do this once!

nick

This combo will fly the plane as you would want it to fly with a APC 10x7 SF prop.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2632605
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B1818516
Although the spes look simular, in real life this is a better setup.
When I do mine this is a proven setup i always use!
MERLIN
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:00 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthefarrow
Hi,

I have read most of this thread and an still wondering what is a 'good' motor for the p40. I have good experience of tower pro 2409/12 but think that it wont turn the larger props for the p40 giving the better thrust. I'd like to get a reasonable balance between thrust and speed.

SO would I go far wrong with a getting the bl3008 and using the 3 blade prop?

Thanks

nick
mine is smoking with a 1250kv 35-30 Great Planes Rimfire, 10x8 MAS"E" and a TPS 2100mah 3s
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
I'll bet it is an animal! I have the 1450kv 35-30 in a 39 in WS Spitfire and the eagletree
logger says 69+mph.
MERLIN
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:05 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
I've been waiting for this plane for a long time. They look great and flight reports sound good. However, does anyone know if the kit has been upgraded with a better cowl and canopy? By better I mean ones that don't warp if left out in the sun.

Kevin.
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Every thing will warp if left out in the sun RCDAD! Some just at a lower temp than others!
You have a PM
MERLIN
OMG
It sounds like I was sticking up for GWS.
No! They don't upgrade anything!
Last edited by MERLIN V16; Nov 24, 2008 at 07:29 PM.