Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,084 Posts
Have you guys measured your CG? I'm curious to see where you guys are at. I was at 48mm.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,136 Posts
Stock CG location works fine for me, but need to keep the controls throw low... it got a little squirrelly on high throws and low speeds.

I'm not over-powered with a KDA A20-20 outrunner and get about 10 min. flights with a 1300 mAH pack, and dead on CG with the pack located in the stock compartment. But then I'm using the stock foam spinner, too, with a thin ply backing plate to keep it centered.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 03:50 PM
DELTAS RULE
corsair nut's Avatar
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,477 Posts
i got one coming! WOOT WOOT!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:28 PM
Registered User
brati4's Avatar
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
i got one coming! WOOT WOOT!
Brent,
Welcome to the P-40 owners club
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:03 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
JimNM's Avatar
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,049 Posts
Ok fellas, I have to admit that I've had a love/hate relationship with this plane. I even tried to give it away - but the guy who wanted it "real bad" never bothered to return my phone calls. C'mon man, it's FREE!!!

It's been sitting in my shop on the fix-it pile, generaly annoying me. I recently bought a new cowl for it, in anticipation of giving/selling it at the local fun fly. Turns out, I'm going to be out of town that weekend, dang it!

I have flown the P-40 very well on a Scorpion 2215-18 motor and 3s lipos. 200 watts and it flies very well. I had trouble with the week cowl material and the stick mount. I bent more motor shafts on the GWS P-40 than I have on all my other planes. Due in part to that large plastic spinner, the long reach for the motor shaft and my inexplicable, insane, unjustifiable need to nose plant this plane time after time. I tell myself "Don't flare, don't flare" all the way from base leg to after sliding to a stop. The last re-build had the plane flying well - until the spinner got out of balance. I yanked the spinner and tried to fly without a C/G check. Yep - blew a turn and spun it in... on the nose.... arrrgh! I swore it was time for the Viking Funeral Flight.

Today before my evening shift started, our eyes met from across the room. I've been down that road (runway?) before, with this one - the flirting, the anticipation, the brief joyful times spent together and then the relationship crashes! I'm a sucker, I guess.

Out came the Scorpion motor and in went a big block with some serious rip-snorting power... the Suppo 2820-6. I backed off the max prop that I used before (10x10) and I setteled on a GWS 9x5x3 HD. She settles in at about 300 watts static. I doubt that WOT will be needed much - WOT may not be needed, but it shall be used.

I was just going to hold the parts together, I promise. Then it happened. Out came the balsa block and the dremel - I told myself that I could stop at any time I wanted to... then we mixed up some epoxy cocktails and all he** broke loose. The next thing I know, I'm smearing Testors spray paint off my fingers and I have a re-built P-40 that will be waiting to see me in the morning. It told me that we have a date, to pick it up and to bring it its favorite lipos arranged in a nice boquet. I hope it's in a good mood tomorrow

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:27 PM
Registered User
brati4's Avatar
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Good Luck. This plane is an absolute joy to fly if setup properly. Just watch out for any potential torque roll on T/O. Mine running a 35-30 1250 KV rimfire on a 10x8 MAS "E" prop. Make sure to check the lateral balance as mine was way left wing heavy. My CG is also set at 48mm from the LE.
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:41 PM
Registered User
PuddleJumper's Avatar
Joined Oct 2004
53 Posts
Here are a few Photos of my second P 40 Build. It is the first Camo paint job that I have attempted.

Specs,
3 Cell 2050 Lipo Battery
4850 Kv geared motor with 4.43:1 gear
8060 Prop
Puts out 185 Watts
Weight ????
C.G. set as Directions specify.

I am all ears if anyone would like to suggest some throws for the control surfaces or even a better C.G. Or any suggestions that my prevent an accident due to my current set up.
PuddleJumper is offline Find More Posts by PuddleJumper
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:10 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
JimNM's Avatar
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,049 Posts
Well, the date didn't go well. The P-40 claimed a headache and sat in the car the whole day. Really, I wimped out on the launch and the elevator horn came loose. It's just as well because the 1000Kv motor and the GWS 9x5x3 prop did not fit the bill. A lot of noise and amps drawn - but the pitch speed was poor. I more carefully checked the C/G - and I added 3/4 of an oz to the tail. I think another 1/4 ounce should be about perfect.

This morning after the glue dried, I fitted an APC 10x7 E and a good battery. It looked a lot better and amps were not too bad (I'm running a 35 amp esc so I don't want to go over about 30 static).

Off to the field for round 6 (or is it round 7?) The larger mass of the motor does push the tail to the right, but the hand launch was workable. I'll have to keep on my toes, though - it'll sure bite me when I get lazy with the launch. It flies! (I knew it could, but it's nice to have the affirmation.) During the motor-ectomy and rebuild, I put in a 2.4 rx and and I switched Tx. to 2.4. The plane is a bit heavier than it was and it felt more stable than before. I'm pulling a bit to the left through loops - I would presume that is due to me mounting the motor square, rather than will a slight offset to the right. Inverted flight was immediately comfortable, pich response was smooth and consistent, yet rolls were a little slow (64% throws). Later flights had about 90% epa on the ailerons. I flew three packs and I've had 3 good landings and one poor launch. The cowl had cracked a very small amount on the botched launch - but it has held up well since then.

I'm satisfied (for now) and will keep the P-40 around for a while longer. The EPO FW 190 is next on the build table - and I'm not going to underpower that one, either.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:18 PM
FAA Commercial Pilot
Taiwan
Joined Sep 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Well, the date didn't go well. The P-40 claimed a headache and sat in the car the whole day. Really, I wimped out on the launch and the elevator horn came loose. It's just as well because the 1000Kv motor and the GWS 9x5x3 prop did not fit the bill. A lot of noise and amps drawn - but the pitch speed was poor. I more carefully checked the C/G - and I added 3/4 of an oz to the tail. I think another 1/4 ounce should be about perfect.

This morning after the glue dried, I fitted an APC 10x7 E and a good battery. It looked a lot better and amps were not too bad (I'm running a 35 amp esc so I don't want to go over about 30 static).

Off to the field for round 6 (or is it round 7?) The larger mass of the motor does push the tail to the right, but the hand launch was workable. I'll have to keep on my toes, though - it'll sure bite me when I get lazy with the launch. It flies! (I knew it could, but it's nice to have the affirmation.) During the motor-ectomy and rebuild, I put in a 2.4 rx and and I switched Tx. to 2.4. The plane is a bit heavier than it was and it felt more stable than before. I'm pulling a bit to the left through loops - I would presume that is due to me mounting the motor square, rather than will a slight offset to the right. Inverted flight was immediately comfortable, pich response was smooth and consistent, yet rolls were a little slow (64% throws). Later flights had about 90% epa on the ailerons. I flew three packs and I've had 3 good landings and one poor launch. The cowl had cracked a very small amount on the botched launch - but it has held up well since then.

I'm satisfied (for now) and will keep the P-40 around for a while longer. The EPO FW 190 is next on the build table - and I'm not going to underpower that one, either.

In the wake of high power/motor setting with too low speed in clean configuration, especially rolling for takeoff, there is always a big torque--tail to the right, nose to the left...

people said a good way to counter torque during ground rolling is trimming rudder to the right( nose to the right)...believe it, sometimes u have to rudder to the right all the way....

when it becomes airborne after rotating (at least higher than its wingspan), it's time to trim back to the neutral....

it really works.....enjoy taking off on the ground....
gws shaqchang is offline Find More Posts by gws shaqchang
Last edited by gws shaqchang; Oct 02, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:38 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
JimNM's Avatar
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,049 Posts
Thanks SHAQCHANG, good information - I had considered mixing Rudder to throttle, but I decided to fix the problem rather than treat the symptom. In my earlier fights with the P-40, the Landing Gear was the source of most of my nose-overs. The skinny little wheels like to dig into the dirt surface of the empty lot, and/or the catch on the rough grass field. My attempts at flare just before touchdown resulted in more than one crash. In a fit one day - I took the LG off and have since been hand launching and belly flopping the P-40. I have adjusted my CG to the recomended 48mm (thanks for that!) and the plane flies much nicer now. The rudder and elevator are not as effective with the forward CG - but I would rather have it that way than to keep constantly bashing the nose of the plane.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:50 PM
FAA Commercial Pilot
Taiwan
Joined Sep 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Thanks SHAQCHANG, good information - I had considered mixing Rudder to throttle, but I decided to fix the problem rather than treat the symptom. In my earlier fights with the P-40, the Landing Gear was the source of most of my nose-overs. The skinny little wheels like to dig into the dirt surface of the empty lot, and/or the catch on the rough grass field. My attempts at flare just before touchdown resulted in more than one crash. In a fit one day - I took the LG off and have since been hand launching and belly flopping the P-40. I have adjusted my CG to the recomended 48mm (thanks for that!) and the plane flies much nicer now. The rudder and elevator are not as effective with the forward CG - but I would rather have it that way than to keep constantly bashing the nose of the plane.

dude, it sounds like another good idea...
gws shaqchang is offline Find More Posts by gws shaqchang
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2008, 09:57 PM
DELTAS RULE
corsair nut's Avatar
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,477 Posts
got my kit today! i must say, GWS has come a long way! its a hair smaller than i thought it would be but still very well done!!!!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:03 PM
Registered User
brati4's Avatar
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
got my kit today! i must say, GWS has come a long way! its a hair smaller than i thought it would be but still very well done!!!!
Brent,
What's your plans for it? From my experience plan to glass the bottom fuselage, hatch cover, and the area around it. I had to reinforce the cowl as it is very fragile. What's your set up going to be?
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2008, 09:39 PM
FAA Commercial Pilot
Taiwan
Joined Sep 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Thanks SHAQCHANG, good information - I had considered mixing Rudder to throttle, but I decided to fix the problem rather than treat the symptom. In my earlier fights with the P-40, the Landing Gear was the source of most of my nose-overs. The skinny little wheels like to dig into the dirt surface of the empty lot, and/or the catch on the rough grass field. My attempts at flare just before touchdown resulted in more than one crash. In a fit one day - I took the LG off and have since been hand launching and belly flopping the P-40. I have adjusted my CG to the recomended 48mm (thanks for that!) and the plane flies much nicer now. The rudder and elevator are not as effective with the forward CG - but I would rather have it that way than to keep constantly bashing the nose of the plane.
hey dude,
how did you fix the problem???
gws shaqchang is offline Find More Posts by gws shaqchang
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2008, 09:50 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
JimNM's Avatar
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,049 Posts
I have not done it yet - what I will do is loosen the left edge of the motor mount and slip a shim between the motor mount and the firewall, then re-tighten the screws. That will point the motor a little to the right. I will post again after I make the mod and give it a test flight. I need to grab some video and post it as well. Mine is NOT pretty and I'm not a great pilot - so no promises!

PS - the landing gear problem was solved with wire cutters - SNIP! - no more landing gear!
Jim
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ****GWS-40: The Never-Ending Legend of Flying Tigers**** RAY GWS Product Announcements 2 Sep 01, 2007 09:45 AM
NIB GWS 40 EDF units bruff Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 10, 2004 08:39 PM
hypethetical idea re: a never ending e-flight Dax Parkflyers 7 Feb 20, 2003 04:24 PM
Flying Tigers AVG dottney Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Feb 13, 2003 09:45 PM
Never ending problems adam_jorgensen Electric Heli Talk 7 May 28, 2002 11:51 AM