HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:22 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Thanks!

Yes, it's a modified Parkzone P-51 pilot.

The only other thing I've found is some 1/18th action figures. They're a little small, as the P-40 is around 1/12th scale, but they look good. They're "Ulitmate Soldier" figures. I ordered a P-38 pilot off eBay, but haven't received it yet...
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:07 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,798 Posts
They look perfect , the only thing i have found to scale is a skeleton , could be a good ghost plane . I will have a look on ebay though , thanks , i will post the pics of my bird when i have the pilot in .
mackone is online now Find More Posts by mackone
Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:55 AM
Tao Jones industrial ave.
Wisconsin, USA
Joined Apr 2005
168 Posts
Capt. "Wild Bill" Kelso kind of looks like "Pappy" Boyington !
VillagePerson is offline Find More Posts by VillagePerson
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:55 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
My only disappointment with this kit is the spinner, which is utter crap. I've seen a couple of ideas here that would be easy to implement from a production standpoint, but are difficult for a modeler without a lathe...

Anyway, I'm wondering what folks are using for their spinners that is working? And I mean 'stays on while flying' working...??
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:04 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,249 Posts
Tower Hobbies has a 3 blade spinner - a bit heavy - but it works

Hyperion 2 blade spinner from RCdude.com
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Which Hyperion spinner? The one thats about the right size looks pretty heavy... 76mm is 57grams...

The largest all plastic spinner is only 63mm...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,249 Posts
ummm - I'm getting that feeling - ya know... de'ja post?
Last edited by JimNM; Sep 01, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:11 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
OK, that looks like the 63mm... right?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:18 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,249 Posts
Yep - 63mm for the 2 blade

I can't lay hands on the 3 blade right now...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:31 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,162 Posts
I tried a Du-Bro 3 blade 2 1/2". It fits well and looks about right - a bit long, but not too bad. The problem is, between a 70g motor and a 30g spinner, the model is too nose - heavy.

I wish GWS made a spinner adapter that would fit a 6 mm shaft. I made one for my GWS-40, but didn't enjoy that part of the build all that much.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:32 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan
My only disappointment with this kit is the spinner, which is utter crap. I've seen a couple of ideas here that would be easy to implement from a production standpoint, but are difficult for a modeler without a lathe...

Anyway, I'm wondering what folks are using for their spinners that is working? And I mean 'stays on while flying' working...??
Either of these 3 in. spinners are the closest in dia. to the stock spinner... one is all plastic, but both are too heavy for me, but they are being used by others (there's a pic somewhere in this massive thread if you search for it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBE6&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK225&P=7

A spinner this big needs both a front and rear centering piece. I used the stock spinner with a 3mm ply backing plate. Getting the backing plate perfectly circular AND balanced was a PITA. I also use a collet prop adaptor with a 5mm shaft. I used a GWS rubber spinner in the nose of the stock foam one... not sure if it was the one that came with the kit or not. I reamed it out so it would slide over an extension I put on the front of the collet. I used a Hyperion extra long collet so several threads were left in front of the nut. Then I force-threaded a small piece of hard nylon tubing on the threads to make a short extension which engages the rubber spinner I reamed out. That solved the front centering nicely.

I then used Perfect Glue #1 to adhere the foam spinner to the ply backing plate. This glue sets up slowly so you can run the motor slowly to get the spinner centered pretty good. When the glue sets up, it stays flexible so you can slice through the bond with a razor blade if you have to take off the prop. Once the glue was fully cured, I ran the motor at higher speeds to check balance centering. If you're lucky, it still balances nicely. If not you need to true it up with a rasp or coarse sand paper until you can run at WOT without much vibration. Then paint it and HOPE it's still balanced after that.

On my first attempt I paid more attention to getting it to spin true and less that it was also balanced. It vibrated at the nose about 3/16 in. at WOT, and although it sounded neat, it required more power to spin the prop (not to mention stressing the motor bearings) and noticably affected performance. When I got it balanced better, it quieted down and flew better.

If you have to change a prop, you cut through the glue on the backing plate, remove the spinner, then do this ALL over again, so what was once a PITA is now a ROYAL PITA.

If GWS reads this and has any empathy for us, they might at least include a rigid plastic spinner backing plate with a simple means of attaching and removing the foam piece. That's needed even if you use one of their motors with the long skinny shaft.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 20, 2008, 01:02 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
If GWS reads this and has any empathy for us, they might at least include a rigid plastic spinner backing plate with a simple means of attaching and removing the foam piece. That's needed even if you use one of their motors with the long skinny shaft.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking about in my above comment... seems like this would be pretty easy from the manufacturing end of things...

I read through this whole thread once (ugh..) and your solution was something I have been considering, but as you noted it's a PITA if you need to change the prop...

Do you know the weight of the GP plastic spinner? It would be nice if Tower would list that...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:11 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,249 Posts
Get yer P-40 for FREE!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...25#post9391475
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:18 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
At current gas prices, you're P-40 would cost me $100...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:26 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking about in my above comment... seems like this would be pretty easy from the manufacturing end of things...

I read through this whole thread once (ugh..) and your solution was something I have been considering, but as you noted it's a PITA if you need to change the prop...

Do you know the weight of the GP plastic spinner? It would be nice if Tower would list that...
I had asked that question back in the thread, but it was for the spinner with the aluminum backing plate. I doubt there's much difference between the two. I don't recall the exact weight, but it was on the order of an oz. as I recall. And being that far forward, it will be way nose heavy unless you revamp the battery compartment and move your pack aft. I know I ruled out that option due to the weight issue (I'm using 1300 mAH packs weighing about 105 gms. with plugs).
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank