HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:18 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Jim

Yes indeed it does happen. Better this then the Kaos I just converted to electric!

Somehow 14$ seems a bit steep when you consider the price of the kit <and the flimsy cowl to begin with!>

Perhaps Tower or BaslaPr will begin to stock parts and on one of my orders I can get it piecemeal.

Take Care

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I made this device to fit over the tail plane of my GWS-40 to ensure correct centering and elevator throws.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Nice Template Ken!

The model is over at my shop right now, not ready to look at it. Building something new today.

Tommy D
Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:04 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Tommy if it helps, I had some fun with my own maiden flight(s x4)- I inherited my GWS P-40 from a fellow flier. He asked me to maiden it for him - and we found out that it was a bunch tail heavy. The fuse broke at the Vert. stab LE. Second attempt was a flight - but still tail heavy - it broke again at the same spot upon landing. Third attempt was a decent flight. My friend tried his hand on the TX and promptly stove it in.

I then received a slightly used (mostly by me) GWS P-40. Since then, I've fixed it and balanced it and re-propped it. It now flies very, very nicely with only a slight propensity to nose over on landings to detract from it. I have bent a few motor shafts - but I'll take the balme for that. Keep your speed up on landing and feed in full up elevator as the speed drops, to keep the nose from digging the dirt.

I'm using ~200 watts from a Scorpion 2215-18 on a 10x7 prop and a 2.5" spinner (IIRC). 3s 2500 balances the plane nice. I found the plane is very light feeling and does not need a lot of power to fly. The biggest booger in getting it trimmed (for me) was the airfolied stab/elevator. When I realiezed that there is not a flat surface on the tail feathers - I used the mold marks on the stab and elevator to guage the trim setting.

Have fun with it - it's a nice flyer. My cowl looks like crud - but for now it's still serviceable.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:13 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Jim

Yes indeed it does happen. Better this then the Kaos I just converted to electric!

Somehow 14$ seems a bit steep when you consider the price of the kit <and the flimsy cowl to begin with!>

Perhaps Tower or BaslaPr will begin to stock parts and on one of my orders I can get it piecemeal.

Take Care

Tommy D
And I thought the Formosa cowl at $5 ea. was a ripoff! $14 is absolutely insane! I reinforced mine, but if it ever breaks, I'll fly with out a cowl or make one before I'd buy a new one at that price.

<edit> I see the $14 also gets you both 2 &3 blade foam spinners and a new canopy, too. But if you don't need those other parts, it's still a waste.

GWS! Why don't you sell the cowls separately like your other kits? Now that I said this, I stalled my P-40 last weekend on landing and cracked the cowl... not on the bottom where I reinforced it... it split at an upper hold down rivet! Grrrr....
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 22, 2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2008, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,425 Posts
Started putting together the epo 40. Like the material. For hinges trying to piggy back on epp hinge technique. The controls have a nice little bit of material left and are reasonably flexible but it does tear easier than epp so after flexing the joint a few times I run a bead of Welder glue (like UHU POR) down the hinge line and smear it thin w/ a finger. Looks like it will hold up and I don't have to cut hinge slots! Also noticed the instructions don't mention adding the 2nd wing hold down (probably mentioned earlier in the styro version) and one of my landing gears is different than the other. The 90 deg tang that goes into the mount is missing on one gear and its about a wire's width longer than the other. But it is going together nicely.
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Mar 01, 2008, 03:30 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
And I thought the Formosa cowl at $5 ea. was a ripoff! $14 is absolutely insane! I reinforced mine, but if it ever breaks, I'll fly with out a cowl or make one before I'd buy a new one at that price.

<edit> I see the $14 also gets you both 2 &3 blade foam spinners and a new canopy, too. But if you don't need those other parts, it's still a waste.

GWS! Why don't you sell the cowls separately like your other kits? Now that I said this, I stalled my P-40 last weekend on landing and cracked the cowl... not on the bottom where I reinforced it... it split at an upper hold down rivet! Grrrr....
I Purchased some GWS-40 cowls from service@gws.com.tw

The part Number for the cowl only is, GWAPS126.....GWS-40 Cowling

Ken
Old Mar 02, 2008, 08:03 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Ken - how much for each cowl?
Thanks
JimNM
Old Mar 02, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Thanks
JimNM
This guy said the following in the For Sale Forum.

Might be worth a shot!

Tommy D
Old Mar 02, 2008, 12:30 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,167 Posts
Has anybody tried using the existing connection between elevator and stabilizer as an elevator hinge on an EPO GWS-40? I cut out the compensating tabs, glued in the wire bracket. I left the material connecting elevator and stabilizer uncut, and it seems to be a good enough hinge. A similar setup works great on my Hyperion Sniper' ailerons, but the material is not exactly the same there.

At this point I guess I'll leave it as is, if I see damage there I can always hinge it the usual way.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Mar 02, 2008, 12:50 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Thanks, Tommy - that is a whole lot better looking deal!
Old Mar 02, 2008, 06:13 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Thanks
JimNM
Jim

I purchased two cowls for each of the GWS T-6, the GWS-190 and the GWS-40 plus other items, such as servo connectors and the little press studs for the cowls, in one lot. So I cannot remember the cost of individual items but the whole lot plus postage was around US$35

I would suggest that combining purchases for different models and getting two, or more, of each items is the way to go.

Ken
Old Mar 02, 2008, 06:14 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
(*)
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:35 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
My club is starting a warbird pylon racing series based on this P-40, and the GWS FW-190 and AT-6 birds with a spec motor and prop (still working out the details of that). I'm not really a foamie flyer, but it sounded like a lot of fun, so I picked one up and put it together. I think I over did it since this will probably end up as packing peanuts before long...

Building a P-40, there was only one plane to model... The P-40 flown by John Belushi as "Wild Bill" Kelso in 1941...

Anyway, here it is:
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:10 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,825 Posts
Rodan , that looks perfect ,

the pilot is a parkzone one yeah ?

Is there any other pilot's on the market for this size plane ?
mackone is online now Find More Posts by mackone