HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:09 AM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
a German tiger

Hi friends,

I have just finished my GWS P40 and want to share my fotos with you. It was my first job with my new airbrush, useing the Tamiya agryl-colours. The cowl of the model was reinforced with cyano,class and a block of foam. I hope with all other buddies, that GWS will use a better (much stronger) material in future.

I use a brushless outrunner (not GWS) with an output of 130 watts on 11,1 Volt lipos for scale like flying. Endless vertical climbes are not intended.CG is just suggested in the manual. Flying weight is 780 gr. Prop is a 9x8 Airmaster three blade.

Maiden will be, when the grass is 4 meters high ;-))
Something to take care, when I maiden her?? Are hand launches easy?

tom-tom
tom-tom is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:49 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom
Hi friends,

I have just finished my GWS P40 and want to share my fotos with you. It was my first job with my new airbrush, useing the Tamiya agryl-colours. The cowl of the model was reinforced with cyano,class and a block of foam. I hope with all other buddies, that GWS will use a better (much stronger) material in future.

I use a brushless outrunner (not GWS) with an output of 130 watts on 11,1 Volt lipos for scale like flying. Endless vertical climbes are not intended.CG is just suggested in the manual. Flying weight is 780 gr. Prop is a 9x8 Airmaster three blade.

Maiden will be, when the grass is 4 meters high ;-))
Something to take care, when I maiden her?? Are hand launches easy?

tom-tom
Beautiful detail work, tom-tom. I also put a foam block in my lower cowl as you did for grass landing resistance. I built mine light (no LG) with about same power system as you, but with GWS 10x6 two blade prop for more thrust. AUW is less at about 700 gms. Mine hand launches very easily with a firm push at about 15 deg up angle and WOT... just a bit of left torque roll as would be expected, but nothing to be overly concerned about. Here's a video link of a hand launch.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
Hi Tom,

thank you very much for your informations. I am just downloading your huge file from the maiden flight of your P 40..... must be LONG or GOOD QUALITY with 86 MB ;-))....or both?
Your experience with that small left torque.....
it gives me the idea to mix small touch of right aileron on my rx when she is hand launched..?

best regards

tom-tom
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom
Hi Tom,

thank you very much for your informations. I am just downloading your huge file from the maiden flight of your P 40..... must be LONG or GOOD QUALITY with 86 MB ;-))....or both?
Your experience with that small left torque.....
it gives me the idea to mix small touch of right aileron on my rx when she is hand launched..?

best regards

tom-tom
You must have found the P-40 maiden video in an earlier post... the plane still had not been painted in that one. I do very minimal compression of my videos, because I want good quality.

I wouldn't bother with a special aileron setup for hand launching. I just use my low rate settings for launching and landings. The slight bank is not enough to get you in trouble before you can get your hand on the TX stick. You could also just launch with a very minimal right bank if you think you need a little more time. Once the plane's airspeed picks up, the torque roll is even less noticable. I trimmed for level flight at about 1/2 throttle, and don't need any aileron correction at WOT.

I meant to ask, is that black tape you used to trim the canopy? I cut some tape strips for mine, but yours are much narrower and nicer looking.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:47 PM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Tom Tom, That is beautiful work - I am sure it will fly as well as it looks! Do let us know how it goes - you don't need 1 metre high grass - 500mm is fine!

Good luck

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
Hi Tom,

to trim the canopy I used very flexible insulating tape from the supermarket. To imitate the black sealing lines of the canopy I had to cut very thin stripes. The thicker stripes of the canopy frame are made in the same way; but before adding these stripes I had to paint them with these Tamyia colours.

@ hangar rat: Thanks a lot for the compliments. OK: ONLY 50 cm of gras ;-))
pictures will follow

and :

@ Tom: OK, ailerons neutral at maiden;

thank you friends!

tom-tom
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Ready for maiden

Set the control throw per Ken's suggestion way back in the beginning of the thread. I must say with the CofG at 60mm my eyes tell me the model is going to fly nose heavy. I hope I'm wrong.

Speaking of heavy the model weighs just under 2lbs so Ill call it 2lbs to be safe. Thats with 1oz added to the tail to get the model to balance.

Maiden will be on a medium setting power wise. There is more in the model for sure and this pack was at a 75% state of charge for the test. That said I selected a prop on the conservative side.

Might have a window of opportunity at day break on Sunday. Wish me luck guys!

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:37 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,053 Posts
Tommy D:
What is your powertrain and prop to get 440 watts?
brati4 is online now Find More Posts by brati4
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Geared Mega <around 3.3:1> 16-15-3 behind a 10x7E

Tommy D
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
Tommy,

I fly at 48mm!

Seems to me 60mm would be tail heavy. Good luck though!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Hi Pat

I read what I wrote, vs what I wrote down. Indeed the model balances at or about 50mm. Just to be safe I removed .25 from the tail however.

I really hate a model that pulls out of a dive on it's own and hope I don't have to add any more weight to the tail.

Tomorrow AM looks iffy , depends if I can get up early!

Thanks again.

Tommy D
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
So ah.... anyone know where I can get a spare cowl from???
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Well from the above post I guess it's pretty obvious the maiden didn't go well. I had been lucky the past year or so with new models. So Guess it was just my turn so to speak.

In a nutshell the P-40 basically had performed 1/2 a loop by the time I got my hand on the transmitter. It was my normal 1/2 throttle launch and I had a nice headwind.

Looking over the model after the crash it looks like the elevator is trimmed to some degree for "up". Perhaps the servo was damaged in the crash, perhaps not but if I missed this, shame on me!

Damage is surprisingly light. The cowl took the brunt of it <even fiber tape could not save this one!> and the stick mount did the typical GWS blow out.

When I can find a cowl Ill think about fixing it. Looks like parts for this one are still tough to find.

Tommy D
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Tommy

yeah - I kind of figured your maiden came to an abrupt end. It happens....Caliber Hobby has the cowl for $14 <http://www.caliberhobby.com/gws40_parts.html>. Kind of pricey but maybe some other soul has gotten into the cowl business.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
I maidened my GWS 40 today

Hi friends,

today I had perfect conditions to maiden my P 40: A sunny sunday without any wind. So I had no excuses....maiden flight!!!
I had two flights (each 10 minutes) and now I can say: It's my best modelairplane for the the moment !!
The ailerons had a neutral position at launch and I expected "that curve" to the left and...yeah ....here it was.... but no problem to react. So I set a litte bit of right aileron at the second flight and she flew straight out of my hand. Very powerful and fast. Big loops, but rolls to the right are very slow (torque of the prop?) and rolls to the left are very quick.
I like that three blade prop.
After a 10 minute flight I recharced only 980 mAh. So I can fly about 20 minutes with my 2200 mAh pack. She flies at level at 1/3 throttle!

The happy pilot is going to bed now...!
time to sleep and dream... good night

tom-tom