HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2007, 09:45 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
Brati... not sure... I have been thinking the EFLite 480 (1020kv) would be nice... especially if I could get my hands on a nice 3 blade 9X6 prop.... I figure that will keep the rpms up...
After I get the motor back, I'm gonna try it with the 10x8 E Eflite prop that comes with the Eflite P-47. If the 480 and 10x8 works for the P-47 it should work for the P-40. What ya think?
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2007, 11:59 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Tom and Roger

Here is the grip I use to hand launch all of my GWS Warbirds. Note that the middle finger is placed under the wing to give positive support and to control the wing incidence while launching. On the GWS-40 my fingers are 150 mm (6 inches) behind the propeller and when the aeroplane is launched it travels away from my hand so a propeller strike to my hand is impossible.

Photo No 3 shows the wires I screw into the landing gear mounts, on belly landers, to hold the wing clear of the ground on landing to protect the servo arms and control horns.

Ken
That's the best place to hold the plane for sure, Ken. I've been avoiding it mainly because that's where the shark mouth decal is located on mine, and I don't want to rub it off. I guess I could spray some clear coat over the decal to protect it if I want to go that route.

I once considered some flexible wire "sliders" similar to what you show for use on my Formosa when grass landing. I had thought to use some that were curved aft so they would slide more easily and could flex to absorb shock. Yours look pretty short and stout. Don't they catch in the grass when you land?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 05, 2007, 07:16 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I run a APC 11x6E prop on my P-47 with the 480 (1020) so I would say that running the 10x8 should be fine...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Nov 05, 2007, 08:37 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
That's the best place to hold the plane for sure, Ken. I've been avoiding it mainly because that's where the shark mouth decal is located on mine, and I don't want to rub it off. I guess I could spray some clear coat over the decal to protect it if I want to go that route.

I once considered some flexible wire "sliders" similar to what you show for use on my Formosa when grass landing. I had thought to use some that were curved aft so they would slide more easily and could flex to absorb shock. Yours look pretty short and stout. Don't they catch in the grass when you land?
Tom

These wires were originally fitted to my Formosa II and they slid in between the blades of grass and did not catch.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:18 AM
Indiana/Farmland
Joined Oct 2002
274 Posts
OK I'm a little lost.

what is the best fix for the cowling, work around, or what do you have to settle for?

The paint colors listed green/grey...is that green camo or solid army green?
Want the army solid green so I'll get no paint if the green/grey is the camo.

Sorry to bring up covered issues but I tried to read all this and dont have time to finish but work is calling and i want to order tonight as soon as i get home. Been away from the hobby for to long work just kicking my butt.
basicman is offline Find More Posts by basicman
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Most USAAF aircraft were solid green on top and gray on the undersides.

British Commonwealth Air Forces were normally painted in either desert camouflage of sand and stone on top with pale blue under surfaces or temperate camouflage of green and brown with light blue under surfaces. The blue on the under surfaces of the desert scheme was slightly darker than that on the temperate scheme. This is because the lack of moisture in desert skies makes them a darker blue. Photo No 2 is of a Mustang in the desert scheme

Some RAAF Kityhawks in New Guinea were solid green and gray with a white wing leading edge and a white fin, tail plane and rudder.

As for the cowling, I use three layers of 0.75 oz fiberglass epoxied to the inside on the bottom of cowl. The part of the cowl so treated did not break on the nose in crash that cased the damage shown. I spiraled in from about 75 ft up and ht the ground at around 45 MPH. My new cowl will have the fiberglass added further up the sides.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Nov 27, 2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:35 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Ken, Sorry to hear about the crash... what went wrong?? Failed Servo?? Glitch??
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:24 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Ken, Sorry to hear about the crash... what went wrong?? Failed Servo?? Glitch??
The Board of Inquiry is still in session but a failure in one side of the servo "Y" lead is one possible culprit. Both aileron servos still work when plugged into a new "Y" lead but the old lead is intermittent on one side. The other possibility is that the centering moved on one of the flap servos causing the flap to deploy on one side while the other stayed closed.

Ken
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Ken, that sucks, she was a very good looking bird. You going to put another one together? I will always have one in my hanger, she just flys so nice and I love the way she looks in the air.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Ken, that sucks, she was a very good looking bird. You going to put another one together? I will always have one in my hanger, she just flys so nice and I love the way she looks in the air.
Read all about it in An EPO GWS -40 powered with a GWS 2215 outrunner and three bladed propeller

Edit :- Here is a photo of my new EPO GWS-40

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Nov 28, 2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Should have known.... LOL...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
The Board of Inquiry is still in session but a failure in one side of the servo "Y" lead is one possible culprit. Both aileron servos still work when plugged into a new "Y" lead but the old lead is intermittent on one side. The other possibility is that the centering moved on one of the flap servos causing the flap to deploy on one side while the other stayed closed.

Ken
Why do you hand launch a plane with landing gear? Rough field, or too little power?

A servo loss in a multi servo wing should not bring a plane down, but in combination with a hand launch, and not much power, it sure can.

How many watts was that plane propped for?

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:53 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Why do you hand launch a plane with landing gear? Rough field, or too little power?

A servo loss in a multi servo wing should not bring a plane down, but in combination with a hand launch, and not much power, it sure can.

How many watts was that plane propped for?

-Wayne
My GWS-40 has never been hand launched, as it was a bit big and heavy. My club has a 200-meter long x 6-meter wide Hotmix runway that was put in to allow large DF models to take off, so I use that.

The case for the aileron servo lead failure causing the crash is that if the intermittent lead allowed the aileron to move to a roll position and then the servo ceased to function then the aeroplane was locked into the roll mode.

I had used two servos to operate the flaps and this left the possibility of only one flap deploying if one servo failed. The problem here is that the model was flying at top speed with the flaps flush with the wing. If as I suspect one flap extended while the other remained flush, then this is the equivalent of the ailerons locked fully to one side.

My own feelings are that the flap servo caused the problem, because when the wreckage was examined one flap was in the fully extended position and one was in the fully retracted position. The centering on one flap servo had moved about 60 degrees. After resetting the servo arm both flap servos now work perfectly in unison.

Ken
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
My GWS-40 has never been hand launched, as it was a bit big and heavy. My club has a 200-meter long x 6-meter wide Hotmix runway that was put in to allow large DF models to take off, so I use that.

The case for the aileron servo lead failure causing the crash is that if the intermittent lead allowed the aileron to move to a roll position and then the servo ceased to function then the aeroplane was locked into the roll mode.

I had used two servos to operate the flaps and this left the possibility of only one flap deploying if one servo failed. The problem here is that the model was flying at top speed with the flaps flush with the wing. If as I suspect one flap extended while the other remained flush, then this is the equivalent of the ailerons locked fully to one side.

My own feelings are that the flap servo caused the problem, because when the wreckage was examined one flap was in the fully extended position and one was in the fully retracted position. The centering on one flap servo had moved about 60 degrees. After resetting the servo arm both flap servos now work perfectly in unison.

Ken
I thought I read you had crashed following a hand launch. Was wondering why you would hand launch.. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sometimes we never do find the issue that caused the wreck..

I had an aerobatic plane strip a servo after a mild mid air. The aileron was fully up, I managed to figure out the issue, countered the roll, thus had full spoilers now deployed to stop the roll, rudder and lots of careful elevator got it checked and flew a couple of patterns while figuring out how to land it. Good times. Not sure a heavier plane would have survived it though.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:07 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I hand launch mine... but I killed the nose on a landing (no LG)....

Ken, thanks again for the decals...
RCG Plus Member