HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:25 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Well, I'm pretty sure there were some pink Photo Recon aircraft in WWII. These aircraft were INTENTIONALLY painted pink.
Here is a photo of a restored PR Spitfire painted just that colour. I believe that the British call this colour "Lavender" after the flower of the same name.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 26, 2007 at 03:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Ok, let's call it "Saraha Sunset Coral". Better?

On a more serious note, that Kalamazoo pic has USAAF roundels, but UK tail markings...might call into question the overall authenticity of the color scheme.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:53 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Recon Rose
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
Here's what I've been able to discern in my internet search of pink Spitfires. The Photo Reconaissance Unit (or "PRU") had two basic paint schemes for their recon Spitfires. The high-altitude planes were painted blue (called PRU Blue), and the low-level planes were painted pink (called PRU Pink).

It was said that the pink was very hard to discern against a backdrop of clouds during dawn and dusk.

Here's a pic of a Tamiya 1/48 scale plastic kit. Not sure how scale the color scheme is, but it's probably close.
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:39 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
LOL -- I always thought the pink photo recon planes just screamed, "Shoot me! Shoot me!"
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jun 26, 2007, 05:26 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Red

When I painted my GWS-38 in F-4 photo-recon colours I did some research on this low visability colour scheme. The USAAF made tests involvig B17, with extra pasangers for extra eyes, and a Haze Blue painted F-4 Lightning. At 10,000 plus feet the F-4 was almost impossible to see untill it got to very close to the B-17.

One would assume that the British made similar tests with their PR Pink Spitfires at low altiude and PR Blue Spitfires at high altitudes.

Before radar equiped fighers became the norn, if you could not see them you could not find them. If you could not find them then you could not shoot them down.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jun 26, 2007, 05:59 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
OK, back to the P-40. Who's responded to May's email in the affirmative? I did, and I also asked for extra of the new 9050X3 props (other than the ones I'm getting for the P-38. I want some for my other planes too and can't find any in stock anywhere). Hopefully they can get them all in the same box.

Pat
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
I asked for 2 kits.... not sure when I will get to them but I do know I want a couple.

Will the plastic on the P-40 be thin like other pre-production models?

Tommy D
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:53 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
I hope that GWS has finally learned that the plastic for things like cowlings and canopies needs to be thicker. It would seem that the replacement cowls others have recently received have been thicker. It would be nice if they make it into the first run on the P-40.

They have made many great advances in their kits lately, but this is the only real gripe I still have. My AT-6 cowling is currently held together with tape.

Pat
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Something I started to do with all there cowls is line them <inside> with HD strapping tape. It really helps keep them together. If they shrivel like a piece of bacon in the sun... the tape does not help though.

Tommy D
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
Hello,please see the shipping cost of GWS-40:Via EMS (Express postal service)

To Europe - @USD43.00(Per kit) @USD68.00(2 SET)
To Australia & NZ - @USD29.00(Per kit) @USD42.00(2 SET)
To USA - @USD43.00(Per kit) @USD68.00(2 SET)
To Asia - @USD29.00(Per kit) @USD42.00(2 SET)
To Africa - @USD57.00(Per kit) @USD91.00(2 SET)
To HK & Macao - @USD24.00(Per kit @USD35.00(2SET)

Ouch! Shipping costs are going up! I'm still ordering one though (already have actually ).

Pat
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:08 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
.... If they shrivel like a piece of bacon in the sun... the tape does not help though.

Tommy D
And if they do (as the TM400 black plastic cowl certainly can), GWS should change either the material used or the thickness, or both to FIX the problem. I can think of at least 4-5 times I've seen this problem raised with GWS kits, and yet the problem remains. The new stuff is nice! But fixing known problems like this mentioned over and over with kit parts, even existing kits, should get some attention as well.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
Tommy,

There's your answer for the cost of 2 kits. I'm also going to start doing the tape inside the cowl thing. That way if they do shatter, all the pieces will stay together for the most part.

Pat
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:11 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
I've only had one cowl warp from being set in the sun, but it was only when it was in the car in direct sunlight. I make an effort to keep my planes in the shade at all times. I may start throwing a sheet over them in the car. That way if I make a trip to the LHS or somewhere in between the field and home, I won't have to worry.

Pat
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:16 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,498 Posts
I line the critical parts of my cowl with paper first aid tape and then saturate it with thin CA. Like a poor man's fiberglass.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr