SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
Tom... I hope nobody expereinces the hard nose smack I did... let me be the example of what NOT to do... LOL...looks good.. my GF is going to paint the missing teeth on my cowling...she has a steadier hand. Hopefully it will look good at 50 feet at WOT...
ATIS,

I scanned the key decals (shark mouth, etc) I used and saved as an electronic file. I can email it to you if you want to make your own decals or paper copies from it.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:02 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Tom... I hope nobody expereinces the hard nose smack I did... let me be the example of what NOT to do... LOL...looks good.. my GF is going to paint the missing teeth on my cowling...she has a steadier hand. Hopefully it will look good at 50 feet at WOT...
ATIS

I did not use the sharks mouth decal on my kit so if you PM your postal address I will post the decals to you.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxdodger
thanks mate i will look into it very soon
When you order your cowlings order two for each model. The postage is no greater because the box weighs far more than the cowlings.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
When you order your cowlings order two for each model. The postage is no greater because the box weighs far more than the cowlings.

Ken
Very true !

Tom, Probably you could apply the Lonely Bird, too.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Very true !

Tom, Probably you could apply the Lonely Bird, too.

Chen
What exactly does this mean, Chen? My understanding is I would order directly from GWS in Taiwan per Mr. Lin's very first post in the Lonely Birds sticky. Is this still the case, or can we deal directly with GWS_USA for this? I really don't understand the process or the cost involved for something like a single GWS-40 cowl.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
ATIS, I meant to ask you what paint you used on your GWS 40? I used a flat acrylic, but I kind of like the semi gloss look on yours.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:27 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Tom,

Normally, you could not deal with GWS USA directly. If you have
probelm with buying these cowl and canopy, just apply the Lonely
Bird program.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:36 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Tom,

I used testers Master modler paint (for the tan) and Takoyo (sp??) for the olive drab... I used the wet newspaper procedure I learned from someone on here (cant remember who... but thanks).

Painted her all tan and after she dried I tore newspaper in strips and shapes, wet it with a spray bottle of water and laid it over the tan paint where I wanted the tan to show (let the edges hang off the wing so you have something to grab to remove it later)... then smoothed it out so paint could get under it, used paper towel to dry any water that got on the exposed paint and then coated the entire plane in green... waited about 5 minutes and then carefully pulled the newspaper off and then let it dry over night.... (I mounted the canopy after I taped up the "glass panels" before I did any painting... thats how I was able to carry the camo through the canopy as well)
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:10 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
I finally got my P-40 painted... took a little longer than expected due to my first experience with an air brush, and my inability to not be nit picky when doing detail work. Most of my planes are not scale birds. Here's a pic... nothing special... basic US Insignia:
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:16 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Tom, looks great!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:50 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,162 Posts
Anyone with belly landers stripping out aileron servos? I was flying my P-40 yesterday and made a good landing but still caught the servo arm/pushrod on landing. You'd think GWS would put an angled guard in front of the servo arm to protect it. Any recommendations??
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brati4
Anyone with belly landers stripping out aileron servos? I was flying my P-40 yesterday and made a good landing but still caught the servo arm/pushrod on landing. You'd think GWS would put an angled guard in front of the servo arm to protect it. Any recommendations??
I've only flown mine twice on long grass sports field with no problem, but I've been concerned about this on other planes even though I've never stripped a servo landing on grass sports fields.

What were the field conditions where this happened (any weeds or very long grass)? I did make some servo fairings on one plane from very thin food container foam from a carry out place:
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:13 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Dubro makes the aerial keepers that have a white plastic angle piece that covers the hole in the fuse for the aerial to exit... I buy two of them and mount them in front of the servo arm... they take the hard hit and the servo arm is safe...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:17 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Brati... on a side note... how long is the grass?? The servo arms shouldnt come close to dragging on landing until after the belly touchs down and the plane slows down... keep those wings level, fly her till she stops... I made the mistake of asuming (yeap you know what that means....) that a plane I had just touched down was down and let go of the sticks... it hit a bump in the grass and went airborne again... and then dropped and wing as it touched down again leaving part of the wing behind... I never stop flying them till they are sitting still on the grass.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:18 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,162 Posts
Atis: I have a factory defect wing from a PZ Spitfire. I can take the plastic aileron keepers off the wing to use. What ya think?
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4