SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:47 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
yeap...it hurt...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:57 AM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,368 Posts
brati4,

Gorilla is one of the more familiar brand of PU glue ...

If it ain't broke, of course don't fix it .... and the ultimate solution still remainds for GWS to use a better material for the cowling
cmpang is offline Find More Posts by cmpang
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:27 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Instead of gorrilla glue use Sumo glue.... same thing just less expansion.... so less mess and clean up....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:50 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,621 Posts
P-40 Lower Cowl reinforcement

I implemented the lower cowl modification I hinted at several posts back. I made a 1/8 in. balsa bulkhead that I epoxied into the bottom portion of the cowl. The front of the bulkhead rests against the cowl nose at the bottom of the two outer airscoop indentations, and the back is right at the bottom of my air flow hole in the lower fire wall.

Then I added a basswood stick on the firewall such that the balsa bulkhead just touches it when the cowl is in place. (see pic 1).

Next I sculpted from scrap foam a plug that pretty much fills the void between the bottom of the cowl and the bulkhead (see pic 2).

Finally, I premixed some PU glue with water and after it foamed up a bit I smeared some on the cowl and foam block mating surfaces, then inserted the plug and let the glue expand to fill all voids. (see pic 3).

I now have a cowl that is rock solid in the bottom. This should keep the cowl from denting and splitting on any minor less-than-perfect landing nosedig, and also transfer most of the impact force into the fire wall impact stick instead of into the lower cowl attachment snap pins.

I don't know if this mod would have been totally effective in the stall and hard smack that ATIS encountered, but it would certainly have helped.

I forgot to weigh my painted cowl before the mod! It now weighs .6 oz, so I'm guessing I may have added .4 to .5 oz. ... a bit more than I had anticipated. Maybe some one can check the weight of an unmodified painted cowl?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:05 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Tom,

What a smart idea !

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:10 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Tom,

What a smart idea !

Chen
Thanks, but I hope I never have to put it to the test!

As an aside, do you think the P-40 cowl (and canopy) will ever be offered for sale separately in view of the already documented heat warping issue as well as the collision cracking issue. I wouldn't want to buy two new spinners that I don't need to get a replacment cowl or canopy. The only reason I went to this cowl reinforcement (adding unwanted weight) is because I don't want to have to replace it from a minor nose scuff shattering it (mines a grass lander).
Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:16 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank

As an aside, do you think the P-40 cowl (and canopy) will ever be offered for sale separately in view of the already documented heat warping issue as well as the collision cracking issue.
Tom

The part number for a cowling on its own is GWAPS126. See attached photo.

The trimmed unpainted cowling that I am modifying weighs 13 grams (0.47 oz). I will be putting overlapping layers of 0.75 oz glass on the inside of the bottom and then I will weigh it again. This cowling will be fitted to an EWPO GWS-40 kit being sent to me to be built as a belly landing slope glider.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 16, 2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:42 AM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,368 Posts
I have tried glassing on the inside and not so effective. Glassing on the outside works better but still splits upon a medium nose drop. I used epoxy MAY be using water based PU paint (as used to glass the foam body) makes it a bit more flexible.
cmpang is offline Find More Posts by cmpang
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:09 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Tom... I hope nobody expereinces the hard nose smack I did... let me be the example of what NOT to do... LOL...looks good.. my GF is going to paint the missing teeth on my cowling...she has a steadier hand. Hopefully it will look good at 50 feet at WOT...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
how do you order these replacement parts? i need 3 cowls...T6,FW190 and the p40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:23 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Tom,

Yes, most of spare parts including these two have been sold seperately. The part number of the canopy is GWAPS127. Kensp has told you the part number of the cowl. Thanks, Ken. http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...rfly_price.htm

I've been told that new material (PVC, the newer and better one) will be used in the future for moulding new cowls and canopies. My colleague told me he painted the new cowl in black, put it under 35 deg C (about 95 deg F) sun light for hours. He said its shapes remained the same.

Chen
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:24 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Mark,

Would you follow the Lonely Bird program if you have trouble with buying these cowls in your country.

Chen
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:32 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Tom

The part number for a cowling on its own is GWAPS126. See attached photo.

The trimmed unpainted cowling that I am modifying weighs 13 grams (0.47 oz). I will be putting overlapping layers of 0.75 oz glass on the inside of the bottom and then I will weigh it again. This cowling will be fitted to an EWPO GWS-40 kit being sent to me to be built as a belly landing slope glider.

Ken
Thanks, Ken. That means I only added 5 grams to my AUW with my cowl reinforcement... about as good as I had hoped.

And I hope GWS will send over some of those single replacement cowls in one of their bulk container shipments so we can get them at a reasonable price here in the US. So far this is the only option I've seen in the web stores here. A cowl replacement would cost $10, and if you also need the small plastic snap pins, that's another $12.50 for those in another multiple parts bag... a bit ridiculous, I think. Mr. Lin... Chen.... Ray... are you listening here? Think about what is likely to be needed and include the retainer pieces for the cowl with the replacement parts (ditto for the battery hatch), or make them available by themselves for an appropriate small price.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 16, 2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:39 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,621 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

Yes, most of spare parts including these two have been sold seperately. The part number of the canopy is GWAPS127. Kensp has told you the part number of the cowl. Thanks, Ken. http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...rfly_price.htm

I've been told that new material (PVC, the newer and better one) will be used in the future for moulding new cowls and canopies. My colleague told me he painted the new cowl in black, put it under 35 deg C (about 95 deg F) sun light for hours. He said its shapes remained the same.

Chen
Chen... looks like this reply came in as I was adding one. That's really good news on the new cowl plastic! Use it for all your kits, especially the TM400... I've warped and/or shattered two of those black plastic cowls, and just bought a new TM400 (after my prior one flew away with my aerial camera ).

<edit> That link above is one I've not seen before. Can we just call GWS_US and order the part number from them directly? Cost? The link in the GWS-US site to Grand Distribution does not show these individual parts as being available.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 16, 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: removed comment on canopies... misread prior post.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

Would you follow the Lonely Bird program if you have trouble with buying these cowls in your country.

Chen

thanks mate i will look into it very soon
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger