SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:01 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
www.epyaya.com has them... I got their combo for $60.... plane and BL GWS outrunner.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:05 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,704 Posts
Visit your LHS or online stores, www.caliberhobby.com or www.epyaya.com or www.allerc.com or Tower Hobbies ..etc.

There's GWS-40 powered version kit available, the stock motor is
GWBLM004A, 2215 outrunner.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,699 Posts
After much procrastinating, and fiddling with a non-working airbrush, I finally broke down and hand painted my P-40. Here's some not so bright pics I just took. I'll get better quality shots in the sun tomorrow.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 07, 2007, 01:54 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Pat, looks great!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2007, 03:40 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,699 Posts
Here's some daytime shots. Notice the guns I added by using CF rod.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 07, 2007, 07:30 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
601 Posts
I just finished my 40- everything worked out well except the spinner- I ended up getting the great planes plastic spinner which looks great but is a little heavy.
One issue I found was the motor doesn't start cleanly- I am using a castle T-bird 36. If you advance the throttle slowly it tries to start backwards but then finally starts correctly after screaching a bit. I have had quite a few brushless motors but have never run into this problem before? I am assuming it is sometype of timing issue with the motor?
If you spin the prop then throttle up it is fine. I thought at first it might be the weight of the spinner -but is does it with or without it- so thats not the issue.
Any Ideas? Anyone have the same issue?
Thanks, Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Oct 07, 2007, 08:27 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Jay, I have a couple of motors that do it.. I just push through it fast to 1/4 throttle and then ease the rest of the way... I have never losta motor so I guess its ok. (I use Eflite motors and ESC's)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2007, 12:54 AM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
All my planes that have castle esc's do that.....it's called "cogging"
Not a big deal with aircraft but a real pain with brushless rc cars
Atis nailed it on the money....just throttle past it......once you are in the air it will disappear because of the speed of the plane will turn the prop
I am running a hi-maxx gearbox on mine and it cogs for a second also
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Oct 08, 2007, 12:56 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
I have an AXI clone motor on the front of my UF mustang and it does the same thing. Could be a timing issue but I have flown it and done alot of taxi testing with the motor with no ill effects. Mine does it from dead stop to moving. I usualy give it a smooth movement to about 3 clicks of throttle and it spools up and the plane starts moving.

Jason

*Edit* I have a TB-36 in EDF app and TB-18 in a Multiplex Funjet. Never had either do this but none the less doesn't seem to hurt them.
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Just received mine last night... is anyone running a EFLite 450 (850 kv) motor on theirs with the 3 bladed prop?? Also anyone having issue belly floppin her? Cracking the cowling and such? I really want the clean lines of no LG but after killing my P-38 cowlings I am a little nervous about doing the same thing to this plane. Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:16 AM
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Jun 2004
108 Posts
The cowl is VERY thin. If you land on a maintained short grass field, it may survive for quite a while. Belly landers and 3 bladed props have inherent problems as at least one blade will always contact the ground upon landing - either breaking the prop, or putting quite a bit of stress on the stick and foam engine mount....

Brad
bradbxyz is offline Find More Posts by bradbxyz
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Brad, I had those feeling... so I guess thats mhy the belly flopping guys switched over to the 2 bladed props... I guess I make a mold of the original cowling... and then soda bottle my own...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
Brad, I had those feeling... so I guess thats mhy the belly flopping guys switched over to the 2 bladed props... I guess I make a mold of the original cowling... and then soda bottle my own...
I'm belly landing mine on grass fields...not manicured flying fields but sports fields with longer grass. If you make any decent touchdown, the cowl does not take much, if any, impact with that big foam nose bottom. I didn't cut out all the intake openings in the bottom of the cowl, but rather drilled some holes leaving some plastic to make that section more impact resistant. I have gotten to fly mine only several times so far, but no problems yet... I'm a lot more concerned with the cowl (and canopy) deforming in the sun than from damage during landings. GWS has dumped on us with these plastic parts (again)... too bad... the rest of the kit is nice.

BTW, I'm using 2 bladed props GWS 10x6 props... easier for grass landings obviously, but it performs better than the three blade version, too, and I can't tell how many blades when flying!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 11, 2007, 01:03 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Tom, thanks for the input. I noticed on my P-38 the coolers adn canopy where starting to deform and of course I killed the cowlings on a hard landing... a little disappointing agreed.

So I guess its off to the 2 bladed prop I go!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2007, 02:51 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
did those with belly floppers add the rudder or skip it to save weight and improve tail strength??
RCG Plus Member