HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 04:42 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
tom,

Kens KV is different and that messed me up...I may try and get a APC 10x7 E prop on her... that will give me a little more speed.... still waiting on her to arrive...
Yeah, I think Ken records his own measured motor parameters (kV, etc.) which can be a little different from the published ones.

I'll be interested in how that APC prop compares with the GWS 10x6DD.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 05, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2007, 05:15 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Yeah, I think Ken records his own measured motor parameters (kV, etc.) which can be a little different from the published ones.

I'll be interested in how that APC prop compares with the GWS 10x6DD.
Tom I take a "no load" reading and a "light load" reading and enter these readings into MotoCalc to get accurate MotoCalc motor parameters. This is so that I can get more accurate MotoCalc predictions.

I also test propellers and enter the data into MotoCalc to get accurate propeller parameters for the same reason.

On an aside, for those motors that have a published kV I rarely get exactly the same kV when I test but the kV is mostly in the same ballpark. This is to be expected if motors are hand wound.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 05, 2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Add text for clarity
Old Oct 05, 2007, 09:24 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
thanks guys... now the waiting continues...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Oct 05, 2007, 09:29 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,053 Posts
Quote:
thanks guys... now the waiting continues...
Atis: Have you thought about using the Park 480 1020KV?
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Oct 05, 2007, 10:59 PM
jdl
portland or
Joined Jan 2004
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brati4
What are people using to seal the decals on the P-40 to prevent them from peeling??
I used Testors dullcoat. I kinda wish the decals were stickers. They set ok, I used Microsol to apply the decals. But they still didnt settle into the lower panel lines all the way. Now after one landing the roundels on the bottom wing have small tears in them. I do fly in a rough field and have to dodge some berry vines when landing. Oh by the way My first flight after paint and decals was today. She is pretty sweet. I flew the 1200 3 cell down to 9.63 volts. It took 17 minutes. I just cruised and did a couple of loops. I'm kinda amazed at the performance with the stock outrunner and the small PolyRC 20C 1200 mAh battery.
jdl is offline Find More Posts by jdl
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:25 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Atis: Have you thought about using the Park 480 1020KV?

No, I have one sitting in my totaled ME-109 but they weigh so much they tend to add to the stall... plus this kit came with the GWS outrunner for $60 so I will use it... the 480 will likely make its way to the GWS P-38 and I will get a second to go along with it... and then use those two GWS BL outrunners on a couple of other GWS warbirds...I have a 400XT sitting inthe garage that will likely end up in the ME-109 that I bought to replace my totaled one...

From my experience with the 480 causing tip stalls on the Me-109 at slow speeds (aborted landings and I gunned the engine to climb... torque rolled inverted nose in both times) and the fact that it made my EFlite P-47 blastic (vertical out of my hand on a very light/no toss with a APC 11x7 e prop) I want to keep this one a little more "flyer friendly" and scale.... my P-47 rarely gets past 1/2 throttle cause she is almost too fast for me as I tend to have orientation issues with the trees as a back ground!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:38 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,053 Posts
The reason I ask is because thats what is in mine with a 10x7 MAS electric prop. What battery were you running? I'm tossed between a TPS 2100mah prolite or a TPS 2070 extreme. Any pre-maiden advice? This will be a handlaunch also.
Old Oct 06, 2007, 12:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,417 Posts
Quote:
The reason I ask is because thats what is in mine with a 10x7 MAS electric prop. What battery were you running? I'm tossed between a TPS 2100mah prolite or a TPS 2070 extreme. Any pre-maiden advice? This will be a handlaunch also.
Where is your CG with that setup and what is the AUW?
Old Oct 06, 2007, 01:09 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Where is your CG with that setup and what is the AUW?
haven't gotten that far yet.
Old Oct 06, 2007, 01:17 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
why a MAS prop?? I would go with a APC 10x7 E Prop... or maybe a APC 11x5 E Prop... MAS props are good but if wasnt designed specifically for an electric motor then it will pull more amps then an electric prop... becuase it will have more mass and that makes the motor turn harder and usually slower... less rpm's for the same amp draw. I run a TP prolite 3s 2100 in my P-47... save the weight and go that route.

I will save my predictions till I get a AUW from you...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2007, 02:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,417 Posts
Quote:
haven't gotten that far yet.
Well, you can view the video of my maiden hand launch back in post #690. It flew pretty much straight out of my launch angle with a good push with just a small amount of left bank torque roll at the start. This was at WOT. But I was using just a 1350 mAH pack near the back of my battery bay with CG 2 in. behing the LE and an unpainted plane with no spinner or canopy installed yet. AUW was only about 21.5 oz. Required just one click of right aileron and flew great.

I think you'll be nose heavy with either of those large packs.
Old Oct 06, 2007, 02:24 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,053 Posts
Does this include the electric props from MAS?

Quote:
why a MAS prop?? I would go with a APC 10x7 E Prop... or maybe a APC 11x5 E Prop... MAS props are good but if wasnt designed specifically for an electric motor then it will pull more amps then an electric prop... becuase it will have more mass and that makes the motor turn harder and usually slower... less rpm's for the same amp draw. I run a TP prolite 3s 2100 in my P-47... save the weight and go that route.

Old Oct 06, 2007, 02:41 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,053 Posts
Quote:

Looking at 21 ozs. plus a prolite
Old Oct 06, 2007, 03:33 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
ooopss.. I missed the electric mas prop... you should be good...

under 26oz and you should have a scream that will hand launch fairly easy.. my PZ SPit has to be hand launched at 3/4 throttle or she actually pulls herself into the deck...my P-47 is a hand launch at WOT with no issue... of course these planes are totally different. I would say launch at just a couple of clicks over 3/4 throttle and if she starts to drop, gun it and slightly give very little up elevator...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2007, 06:29 PM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
SO who is selling these planes in the US and what is the preferred motor for this plane?
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop