HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Not sure if this was posted or not, but here is a spare cowl and canopy for $10 plus shipping. Kind of spendy.

http://store.caliberhobby.com/gwaeo028-fas1.html

Wish they sold cowls for the 190.

-Wayne
Looks like you have to buy the cowl, canopy and both foam spinners in one group. Considering the Formosa cowl is $5 by itself, $10 for all these parts is not too bad, but only if you NEED all the parts.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2007, 02:06 AM
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Jun 2004
107 Posts
Here's another one ready for a maiden... Wll post a couple of outside shots tomorrow.
Brad.

Du-bro 3" spinner
bradbxyz is offline Find More Posts by bradbxyz
Old Oct 01, 2007, 08:01 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
i had my maiden over the w'end....mmm very nice

will post video
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:39 PM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
I would like to paint my P-40 in the scheme of Col. Robert L. Scott's P-40 named "Old Exterminator." Scarching google I found several pictures of his plane and they are conflicting in paint schemes. Some show an all OD green P-40 and others show a green and tan camo scheme. Does anyone know FOR SURE what the "real" paint scheme was.

I just attended the Columbus, Oh. air show where they had 100 P-51's plus a lot of other neat warbirds. There was a restored P-40 there that was supposed to be painted like Scott's plane but it was all green. With a price tag approaching two million bucks, you would think it would be painted correctly. On the other hand I just bought an expensive print of Scott's P-40 that was signed by Scott himself and that P-40 has a camo scheme. Huh? Anyone have any input?

Bill
Bill Lesko is offline Find More Posts by Bill Lesko
Old Oct 04, 2007, 10:33 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,674 Posts
Bill,

The camo one looks better, and you've just bought the signed print of this P-40, it's the camo scheme. The green scheme might be the simplified one telling from the old black-white photo.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Oct 04, 2007, 11:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lesko
I would like to paint my P-40 in the scheme of Col. Robert L. Scott's P-40 named "Old Exterminator." Scarching google I found several pictures of his plane and they are conflicting in paint schemes. Some show an all OD green P-40 and others show a green and tan camo scheme. Does anyone know FOR SURE what the "real" paint scheme was.

I just attended the Columbus, Oh. air show where they had 100 P-51's plus a lot of other neat warbirds. There was a restored P-40 there that was supposed to be painted like Scott's plane but it was all green. With a price tag approaching two million bucks, you would think it would be painted correctly. On the other hand I just bought an expensive print of Scott's P-40 that was signed by Scott himself and that P-40 has a camo scheme. Huh? Anyone have any input?

Bill
Hi Bill,
I don't have any authoritative info to add, but I'd put my money on the picture bearing Scott's signature as being the most authentic color scheme. I have to agree with Chen, too... a camo scheme will look a lot neater.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 06:07 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
OK, I broke down and order mine from Epyaya.... its the white with BL outrunner... what ESC is everyone running? Looking at the motor specs I think a 40 amp will work but it appears everyone is running little 1320 lipo's... can I get a 2100 to fit or is that going to require major surgury (not that I mind doing that) and how hard is it getting the CG set if I do go with th 2100??
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Oct 05, 2007, 06:43 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
OK, I broke down and order mine from Epyaya.... its the white with BL outrunner... what ESC is everyone running? Looking at the motor specs I think a 40 amp will work but it appears everyone is running little 1320 lipo's... can I get a 2100 to fit or is that going to require major surgury (not that I mind doing that) and how hard is it getting the CG set if I do go with th 2100??
If the motor is the GWS 2215 then a 15-18 amp ESC will be more than enough.

My tests have shown that even with the 10 x 6 x 3 blade or the 9 x 7.5 x 2 blade propeller the current draw is only 12 amps.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Oct 05, 2007, 06:47 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
P-40 is a big favorite of mine. This might be my next plane. How difficult is it to fly? I'm pretty good with my Hyperflea but thats all i've flown. Could i handle this? Would 10 mph wind be too much to fly in?
rc808 is offline Find More Posts by rc808
Old Oct 05, 2007, 10:23 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Ken

It has the BLM0004 motor....any ideas??
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2007, 11:31 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,412 Posts
Quote:
I'm flying mine with Epyaya 16C 1350 3S lipos, weighing about 3.6 oz. with connector plug. The UNPAINTED plane balances and flies well with this pack located towards the back of the battery bay with about 3/8 in. gap between pack and aft end of the bay. The aft end of the bay is about 3/8 in. in front of my CG point, which is 2 in. aft of the wing LE. I like my CG near the back of the stated range.

I just dropped one of my older PQ 2200 mAH 12C packs in to see how it balanced. That pack is a long slim shape and just fit in the bay perfectly. The CG moved forward about 3/8 in. making it a little too nose heavy (for me), but newer packs seem to be thicker and shorter, so the CG would not shift quite as far forward. Also, once my plane is painted adding most of the paint weight aft of the CG point, I'll need to move my 1350 packs forward (or add a nice spinner with a backing plate). A 2100 pack may be just right then... depends on the weight and configuration of your pack.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 01:13 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Tom,

thanks for the info... I guess I will give it a try once I get her... she is still in the mail... hopefully she arrives tomorrow as I have Monday off so I might be able to get a flight in then.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2007, 03:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,412 Posts
Quote:
Ken

It has the BLM0004 motor....any ideas??
ATIS,
That is the same motor that Ken referenced in his prior post. Details here.

I don't use that motor, but I do use a GWS 10x6DD 2-blade prop, and based on the Ken's test results, I believe that is the best all around prop for the way I like to fly mine. I found the plane will lollygag around easily at half throttle, but I like to fly with a little more "spirit". The roll rate is too slow for me, even at high rates, unless I fly at about 3/4 throttle with that prop. But I wouldn't want to give up thrust and lose those beautiful vertical climbs just to gain a little more airspeed, nor would I want more thrust at the expense of lowering the pitch speed. I don't mean unlimited vertical (which would be un-scalelike for this plane, but enough thrust to climb from a level entry up a couple hundred feet or so into a hammerhead, which the 10x6DD prop handles easily.

As an aside, the extra weight of the heavier 2100 mAH packs you mentioned will take it's toll in the vertical climb department. I can get about 15 min. of flight time on the 1350 mAH packs with the way I fly.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 04:10 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
tom,

Kens KV is different and that messed me up...I may try and get a APC 10x7 E prop on her... that will give me a little more speed.... still waiting on her to arrive...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2007, 04:31 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,053 Posts
Decal sealing

What are people using to seal the decals on the P-40 to prevent them from peeling??
brati4 is online now Find More Posts by brati4