HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 06:07 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH-1H
Need some advice. I thought of flying without the landing gears, so i glued the smooth undercarriage housing instead. But as im assembling the props now, it seems the blade will touch the ground if i do a belly landing

If your only going to use a 2 blade prop and you belly land just remember if you cut throttle right before you hit the ground, the blade will move out of the way under its own as it hits the ground. Also make sure that your ESC has been set to break off! so that under zero throttle your ESC will free spin. (read your owners manual for more information on how to set this up)
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2007, 06:29 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
If your only going to use a 2 blade prop and you belly land just remember if you cut throttle right before you hit the ground, the blade will move out of the way under its own as it hits the ground. Also make sure that your ESC has been set to break off! so that under zero throttle your ESC will free spin. (read your owners manual for more information on how to set this up)
How about it i want to use the 3 blade? I have to install the landing gears?
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old Aug 07, 2007, 07:14 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Glad you brought that up UH. I too have to belly land and has not thought of the implications of this on a 3 blade prop. I suppose I will have to stick to a 9 x 7.5 two blader. Belly landing on a 3 blade prop is bound to lead to broken blades even with a prop saver.
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Aug 07, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
If you must belly land AND have a 3 blade prop, look into the FSK prop. They have proven to work just fine on belly landers. Just dont try and use them on very high RPM or watt motors.

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:00 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar Rat
Glad you brought that up UH. I too have to belly land and has not thought of the implications of this on a 3 blade prop. I suppose I will have to stick to a 9 x 7.5 two blader. Belly landing on a 3 blade prop is bound to lead to broken blades even with a prop saver.
At the field that i fly, there are a mix number of belly lander and wheel landings. Mostly those with large wheels large electric and nitro will use their landing gears. But for small GWS warbirds and pusher jets i saw mostly are belly landing. But recently from the new GWS series, i saw 2 Texan (yes im not alone anymore in Singapore with a texan, there are already 4 here.) ROG and land with the stock wheels.
Since the P-40 wheels are larger than the Texan, and there are "shock absorbers" i m gonna try to do a ROG and wheel landing.
Damn, i had to dig out the previous foam undercarriage well, it was a b*t&h. Trying to sort out the electroncis now.
Again the only P-40 in Singapore....
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:39 AM
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
UH - you are lucky that you have the choice of whether to use undercarrage or not! I unfortunately don't - the field I use is too rough and the grass is generally 300mm high.

Besides which - why are you not sleeping???
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:51 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,289 Posts
Quote:
How about it i want to use the 3 blade? I have to install the landing gears?
Well great question as long as the blades can move enough to get out of the way you should be ok!

I don't have any planes that use a 3 bladed prop that I Belly!

Maybe some one can chime in here and offer advice.!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:53 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,324 Posts
We've had good luck with the Flying Styro 3 blades and belly landing. They move out of the way enough and they are flexible enough that so far we have not bent or broken anything on the motor or mounts.

Now I have not seen the new gws 3 blade props so I don't know how they compare.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:00 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar Rat
UH - you are lucky that you have the choice of whether to use undercarrage or not! I unfortunately don't - the field I use is too rough and the grass is generally 300mm high.

Besides which - why are you not sleeping???
Grandpa telling me to go to bed...it just turn 12 midnight here. I m not working tomorrow
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:02 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri
We've had good luck with the Flying Styro 3 blades and belly landing. They move out of the way enough and they are flexible enough that so far we have not bent or broken anything on the motor or mounts.

Now I have not seen the new gws 3 blade props so I don't know how they compare.

Steve
Those flying styro 3 blader retail at $5.50 here, i guess i will look at them tomorrow.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 03:28 PM
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Quote:
Grandpa telling me to go to bed...it just turn 12 midnight here. I m not working tomorrow
LOL! It's more jealousy... MANY years ago, I was able to stay awake till the middle of the night modelling but now that I approach Grandpa age (but not status or maturity) I seem to be - like 'Uncle Roger' - morning person.

Good Night Young Man, I'm going to bed!
Ratty
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:50 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Brought the P-40 to the field today, but the wind was so so strong only manage to do a range check with my XPS system on the P-40. Also add in a fail safe. It receive so much attention from other fliers. I got a few dogfight challenge too.
The texan did outrun and out turn a Formosa before, but it had a larger motor compared to the P-40.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Comon chicken, bawk bawk bawk. Dooo it. Dooo it. Dooo it.

And did that X-31 ever fly? What about the Flycat?

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:02 PM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
Comon chicken, bawk bawk bawk. Dooo it. Dooo it. Dooo it.

And did that X-31 ever fly? What about the Flycat?

-Chris
The X-31 and flycat needs a bigger esc. I should be able to maiden the P-40 tomorrow if the weather permits.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 09:00 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
FWIW

Things have changed for me on the homefront. I ordered 2 GWS P-40 slope kits and will only finish 1. That said I put the other one up for sale in the Electric Planes for sale forum. Hope that helps out someone who missed the early bird sale.

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D