Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 01:37 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Bthree

I take it that the entire spinner including the rubber insert came off and not that the foam spinner separated from the rubber insert. The latter was the problem that I had with my GWS me 109.

This led me to develop my design with a plywood plate to take the radial loads. The rubber insert in this design only has to stop the nose cone moving forward and as well the airflow pushing on the spinner nose cone tends to hold it on.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2007, 02:06 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
I can only guess the spinner parts did not seperate but there was nothing left on the shaft on landing.

Big mistake ...Before that I had glued a rubber spinner in from my collection thought to be correct but it had a 4mm thread from a 400 size gearbox. Was not easy to get out after 24 hours epoxy curing but peeled the rubber out with a pair of pointy nosed plyers.

Been considering your spinner modification/design but wanted to prove to myself the standard GWS supplied spinner is a bit dodgy.
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old Jul 30, 2007, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2004
61 Posts
What a handsome warbird

Congratulations GWS on a handsome warbird... must try to resist.

The pictures are very tempting

Greetings

Pat from Switzerland ( 2 Tiger Moths, 1 Beaver)
plato is offline Find More Posts by plato
Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:34 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Tommy she looks killer great job.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:49 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
P40 update.

Foam cowl trick (sorry no pictures) I thought of a way to make sure you never lose the foam cowl lay the cowl on a piece of thin stiff card board and using the cowl as a template cut out a piece of cardboard the same size as the back of the spinner poke a small hole in the center of the circle and put the cardboard piece own the shaft behind the prop now when you put the spinner on just put a couple drops of contact cement on the cardboard and press the foam spinner on the shaft and the cardboard circle. no wobble no lost foam spinners in flight!
After some though about this I have worked out how to make the spinner easily removable when tallflier’s idea is used. My Idea is to use cylindrical neodymium magnets as shown in Photo No 1 to hold the spinner onto to the back plate. Please note that this is in addition to the rubber insert not a replacement for it

The first difference is that I used a 1/32 inch plywood circular back plate. I marked out the plywood as shown in Photo No 2. After the circular back plate was cut out I drilled a 3 mm hole in the center.

I then mounted the spinner on the back plate and drilled the pilot holes for the screws. Photo No 3 shows this.

These screws are 7 mm No 1 countersunk self tapping screws and are shown inserted into the foam spinner in photo No 4.

I added the two 10 mm x 10 mm 1/32 inch plywood pieces to make the back plate thicker in the magnet area. Then I drilled two 7 mm holes, inserted the magnets and glued them in with super glue. Photo No 5

Please note

Note 1. As I had already modified both the spinners in my GWS-40 kit I could not flight test this design.

Note 2. R the back plate was spun up on my Dremel type tool and withstood 15,000 RPM but above 20,000RPM one of the magnets was thrown and lost. For this reason I would suggest that if 3-4 mm diameter magnets can be found that these lighter magnets be used. Also the use of two 10 mm square pieces, per side, to thicken the pack plate is recommended.

Note 3. For a 3 blade spinner 3 magnets are used at 120 degree spacing

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Aug 04, 2007, 03:45 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
There are some really great screen shots of a P-40B from Flight Simulator at the following address. http://shockwaveproductions.com/foru...pic.php?t=8576 . I know the producers of this range of sim aircraft and their research is generally accurate (go on - count the rivets ) Lots of pictures to load so be patient.

Have a great week end flying - unfortunately, its too windy here for me.

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Aug 04, 2007, 05:40 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,666 Posts
Nice pictures ! Thanks Ratty.
Would you let me know if you've built up your P-40.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Aug 04, 2007, 05:42 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,666 Posts
Hi Plato,

Tell me you can resist really.

Chen
Old Aug 04, 2007, 02:07 PM
Joined Apr 2004
61 Posts
Hi Chen

I am building my third Tiger Moth at the moment, after that it is Fokker-Dr1
time.

When do you expect the P-40 to arrive in Europe?

Greetings from Switzerland

Pat
plato is offline Find More Posts by plato
Old Aug 05, 2007, 06:35 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,666 Posts
Hi Pat,

It depends on your local dealer/distributor. Suggest you PM Sven
(gws-rc-models.ch), he's in Switzerland.

Chen
Old Aug 06, 2007, 01:11 PM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
I should be able to maiden my P-40 by this weekend.
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old Aug 06, 2007, 04:56 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Very nice aged painting!

Wish you will have a sucessful maiden.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Aug 07, 2007, 02:37 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Decal is all on, left the power system. I choose the Oz version. Well not exactly the RAAF version, i hope Ken will not be offended if its not accurate, i know u send me a decal file, but i ve run out of colored ink today. Since i m away from work and at home, i had to improvise.

I not sure what color the nose cone should be.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 05:23 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Very Nice work UH - looks great.

Cheers

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Aug 07, 2007, 05:43 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Need some advice. I thought of flying without the landing gears, so i glued the smooth undercarriage housing instead. But as im assembling the props now, it seems the blade will touch the ground if i do a belly landing