HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:16 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,184 Posts
Horay!!

This will be my first EB. When should we be expecting the email? Also might get a motor with this, what should i ask for? the 2215?

Quote:
And ............. ....................just so I can be the first to ask - what's going to be the next real (meaning prop) warbird? For single engine may I suggest that you limit your choice to Hurricane, Typhoon, Fury (September Fury would be great), MiG3 or either a Tony or a Frank from Japan. The American market may be the biggest but they've now got P-40, P-38, P-51 and F4U. Even Germany has 190, 109 and 262 (and forgive me for mentioning it but I seem to recollect they came somewhere short of first in the war - that's a JOKE guys OK? ) while the Brits have only got the Spit, the Japanese have only got the Zero and the Russians have big fat zippo.
Im with you on this one Roger. I'd go for the Fury, should be a real fast airframe! Failing that a russian bird.
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,379 Posts
The Fury would be awesome to see. Been working on my own ideas for one seeing the real lack of kits out there for this bird.

Looking forward to the P-40 however I'll have to wait for the regualr release as I still have my 262 and FW-190 to finish.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:18 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri

Looking forward to the P-40 however I'll have to wait for the regualr release as I still have my 262 and FW-190 to finish.

Steve
Hah therein lies your problem, too much common sense. Comon Steve, all the cool kids are doing it.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Jun 21, 2007, 03:57 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Ray, Its great news but I especially want to say that I'm pleased about the decals. I think I said in the forum that I rated the (waterslide) AT-6 decals 10/10 for quality but 0/10 for content. It really looks like GWS have listened because from what I can see of your pics the content of this decal set looks like close to 10/10 on content too. Thank you.
Ah Roger.

The decal sheets do not include the Asian theatre blue and white Roundels. This is a disapointment for us in Australia.

I like the GWS twins so I sugest that GWS makes a Mitsubitshi G6M Betty so that us P 40 pilots will have some targets.

Here in Darwin, during WWII, the Betty's were at first called the "flying cigar". But the name was quickly changed to "flying cigar lighter" when it be became apparent that they easily caught fire when shot at.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 21, 2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add text and photo
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,350 Posts
I'm in! I just finished my Me-109 last night (yes, I'm a little backlogged on the old GWS warbirds) and I need a new project. I project by the time it finally arrives I should be done with my P-51, Spitfire and A-10 as well. I skipped the F-15 as the house boss would have had a fit with me ordering so planes in so little time.

Looking forward to the email from May!

BTW, I will second Roger by asking for a Hurricane, Fury or Typhoon as the next piston driven warbird (preferrably a Hurricane! ). It'll be OK if an A-4 or J-10 sneak in before them though.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:16 PM
'Riders fan.
Vancouver, British Columbia
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
A year from now, when these (and the other new kits from GWS) are finally available for purchase in Canada, I may pick one up. The RCAF flew these in Canada as part of the Canadian home defense programme during the war and assisted the US in repelling the Japanese invasion of Alaska.

Quote:
Late in May 1942, the US government had requested Canadian assistance in the defence of Alaska, with the result that No. 111 Squadron (its Kittyhawks still bearing RAF serial numbers - replaced a year later by RCAF serials) was dispatched immediately to Yakutat in Southern Alaska, flying on to Elmendorf Field, Anchorage, on 5 June - the same day that Japanese forces attacked Dutch Harbor. The squadron saw no action then, but was moved up to Umnak, the most distant base in the Aleutians, in July. While nine pilots flew up in a transport, seven others followed in Kittyhawks, but two of these were lost on the first leg to Naknek and, after replacements were flown in from Elmendorf, five of the seven crashed en route to Cold Bay. The Canadian pilots then formed "F" Flight of the USAAF's 11th PS at Umnak, flying P-40Es until nine USAAF P-40K-1s were acquired as replacement aircraft in August 1942. (These operated in RCAF markings but with USAAF serials and were handed back in June 1943). Participating in the first American strike on Japanese forces occupying Kiska, four P-40Ks intercepted a Nakajinia A6M2-N ("Rufe") floatplane and it was shot down by the CO of No 111 Squadron, Sqn Ldr K.A. Boomer, this being the only Japanese aircraft destroyed - and only air combat - by a Canadian aircraft flying from the North American mainland during World War II.
http://www.rcaf.com/aircraft/fighter...name=Kittyhawk
David Winter is offline Find More Posts by David Winter
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:55 PM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar Rat
Hmmm... I guess I'll have to build this one faster than i built the AT-6! Well done GWS - Thanks

Ratty
Ratty get the harvard in the air, complete flight school before you get into a Warhawk. But i m glad its out, I already bought a 25Amp Dualsky esc, and an electron 6 receiver. Just need to get servos and a larger motor than the Harvard
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Tom,

I'd believe that my colleague applied the AUW of GWS-15 instead, and Ray was informed of the wrong AUW. I'll tell him to correct this AUW tomorrow morning Taiwan time.

I'm afraid that the smaller GWS P-40 has been suspended on boss plan.

Chen
Ahhh... now that's more like it! No need for the smaller version after all. Thanks for the clarification!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:45 PM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
im with ken,decal's for asia area!!!!!!

either way mine will be in Australian colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:42 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxdodger
im with ken,decal's for asia area!!!!!!

either way mine will be in Australian colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to get some thin self adhesive film from a fellow modeler who is a sign writer. This film is very thin and pliable and comes in many colours. I can use my circle cutter to make blue circles and white circles for the roundels for Ausie aeroplanes but on my GWS-40 model I will be using the blue circle with white star of the early 1942 type USAAF markings.

The markings on this Spitfire were made using this film.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 21, 2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:40 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Ken,

How about buying a decal set like this (there are several RAAF P-40 variants available), scanning it and then printing it onto waterslide decal paper? I'm doing a lot of my own these days and I much prefer the finish and adhesion to what I used to get with vinyls.

http://www.redroomodels.com/decals.php?decal=27
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:52 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
I hope GWS read this and decided to throw in the RAAF decal. Cos i dont mind having this decal or a perfect red star for the russians
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:43 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,350 Posts
Watched the Dogfights episode on the AVG again last night (I have it saved on my DVR). I'm very excited about this kit!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 23, 2007, 02:48 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
heres some pics of a 1/48 P40 i just finished.....

i'll be doing my P40 just the same,i know its the wrong type[p40n not a p40m] but i couldnt wait to make it.

some how i'll make the right decal's for my flying beast!!!!!!

had a cracker of a flight with my fw190 today...cant wait for the p40 to join the air war movie im about to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Jun 23, 2007, 03:53 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,697 Posts
Hi Taxdodger,

Tell me you're a movie producer or film director.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN