HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:43 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
jbc's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Just about got mine finished today, all I got left is to put the decals on and maiden don't know why it took me so long to build her, she's been in the box under the bed for over 6 months Hopefully maiden tomorrow fingers crossed...

Just wanted to share my experiences with this 2836 1200kv motor from HK. Fantastic little unit (I have 2 of em) for any plane upto about 1.4kg on 3S I'm getting 30A and 350W with a 8x8 prop and it slightly better than a hover for my 950gm GWS-40 the motor only gets warmish (not hot) so there's probably a little more there for anyone who wants to push say 400W or so. Great motor, light weight and good power for any parkflyer size bird, even mates perfect top the GWS stick mount



jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Just about got mine finished today, all I got left is to put the decals on and maiden don't know why it took me so long to build her, she's been in the box under the bed for over 6 months Hopefully maiden tomorrow fingers crossed...

Just wanted to share my experiences with this 2836 1200kv motor from HK. Fantastic little unit (I have 2 of em) for any plane upto about 1.4kg on 3S I'm getting 30A and 350W with a 8x8 prop and it slightly better than a hover for my 950gm GWS-40 the motor only gets warmish (not hot) so there's probably a little more there for anyone who wants to push say 400W or so. Great motor, light weight and good power for any parkflyer size bird, even mates perfect top the GWS stick mount



Will it turn an HD 1060/3 propeller?
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:13 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
jbc's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
mmmmm....I'd say a 10" 3 blade 'might' be a bit much for it, hard to say, maybe if they're a not very wide/softish blade, 9x6x3 you'll probably get away with it.
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
The GWS GWEPSQ2815RC power combo will spin an HD 1060X3 balde prop with amazing authority. Also, the additional weight helps to balance the EPO airframe without the need to add any weight.

I highly recommend this power setup for the P-40 if you want it to look authentic and still go faster than your friends.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:40 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
jbc's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Maiden was successful yesterday had some problems with the gear so just ditched em and went straight for the hand launch. Bit of a butt clincher but off she went, took her nice and high and trimmed her out, bit of left and down and she was fine. Power setup was HEEEEEAPS, was mainly flying at half throttle (10-12amps) and with 2200 3S I got rather long flight times. I am using an 8x8 2 blade prop which still gave me plenty of thrust but the higher pitch gives more speed at a lower throttle setting.

Had to muck around with rates and expo a bit but overall she looks and flies great GWS have done a great job!
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Maiden was successful yesterday had some problems with the gear so just ditched em and went straight for the hand launch. Bit of a butt clincher but off she went, took her nice and high and trimmed her out, bit of left and down and she was fine. Power setup was HEEEEEAPS, was mainly flying at half throttle (10-12amps) and with 2200 3S I got rather long flight times. I am using an 8x8 2 blade prop which still gave me plenty of thrust but the higher pitch gives more speed at a lower throttle setting.

Had to muck around with rates and expo a bit but overall she looks and flies great GWS have done a great job!
I'm a bit surprised yours flies OK with only an 8 in. prop. I might have a smaller/lower kV motor and use a a GWS HD 10x6. It hand launches easily with a strong toss. I tried two flights with a 9x7 prop to see if I could get a bit more speed, and both times it rolled severely left on launch... first time I just barely recovered before making ground contact, but not so lucky the second time. I went back to a 10x6 and had no more hand launch problems. I attribute the behavior to the large diameter nose blocking too much of the prop wash with the smaller prop and less thrust at low speed, so the motor torque rolled it over before it could get up good flying speed. I'd think the 8x8 prop would be even worse in that regard, but I guess not! Maybe you've got more power. My weight is also much lighter since I fly with 1300 3S lipos.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:05 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
jbc's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Tom my AUW when I had the gear on was around 950gm with a 2200 20C 3S batt. With full throttle I could hold her and she wants to slowly pull up vertically out of my hand so slightly better than 1:1. I had a 9x6 prop ready to go if I needed it but she flies fine with the 8x8 I did remove the gear for the maiden but I just weighed it and they only weigh 20gm so I doubt they'd make much difference.

You can kinda see prop in the pics, the blade itself is not very wide but it is very stiff so doesn't flex during flight.
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:30 PM
Registered User
kensp's Avatar
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Its not the weight of the UC that degrades performance it is the extra drag of the legs and wheels hanging below the model.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Tom my AUW when I had the gear on was around 950gm with a 2200 20C 3S batt. With full throttle I could hold her and she wants to slowly pull up vertically out of my hand so slightly better than 1:1. I had a 9x6 prop ready to go if I needed it but she flies fine with the 8x8 I did remove the gear for the maiden but I just weighed it and they only weigh 20gm so I doubt they'd make much difference.

You can kinda see prop in the pics, the blade itself is not very wide but it is very stiff so doesn't flex during flight.
I have a little better than 1:1thrust from my motor in a static test on a test stand, but once on the plane with all the fuse blocking the prop wash, it diminished for sure. I get very good climb on a fresh battery, but it peters out in a long vertical climb.

Mine flew OK with the 9x5 prop one it got up to flying speed... but the hand launch was too problematic with it, so I went back to the 10x6.

Glad (but still surprised) yours is flying so well with the small diameter prop! Post up a video!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 13, 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:46 PM
Registered User
MIGl7's Avatar
www.thunderbolt-gallery.com
Joined Mar 2007
175 Posts
I've been flying mine with a 10/7 , and what I've learned is that I will not fly it on calm days. I launched it for a friend of mine so I could take some pictures, and he plowed right in. Fixed it and flew it the next day and it flew right out of my hand. I went out in the evening when there was no wind, and both take offs were really ugly, (or really exciting!), thats when I realized that it, (mine), needs some wind under it to take off predictably. So the rule with this one is, no wind, no fly.

My bud bought a GoPro camera, so we mounted it on the P-40. Flew like sh*t, but I got some decent pictures

GoPro P40 (6 min 35 sec)


Steve
MIGl7 is offline Find More Posts by MIGl7
Last edited by MIGl7; Aug 12, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:59 AM
Registered User
GiusedtoBe's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
I fly with a generic 450 motor and a 10x8 2 blader prop. Plane has no problem with hand launches at all. Flying for abouot two years now with no mishaps. Maybe the guys that are having problems have cg issues.

Nice plane BTW John

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
I fly with a generic 450 motor and a 10x8 2 blader prop. Plane has no problem with hand launches at all. Flying for abouot two years now with no mishaps. Maybe the guys that are having problems have cg issues.

Nice plane BTW John

Regards,
Alan
I have no problem with a 10 in prop, but do with a smaller 9 in prop. My CG is dead on... nice glide with neutral control surfaces and dead stick landings are possible, but the loss of thrust with a smaller prop just doesn't get the plane up to flying speed fast enough like the larger prop does with my power set up.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:02 AM
Houng-wen Lin
GWS4CEO's Avatar
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
The GWS GWEPSQ2815RC power combo will spin an HD 1060X3 balde prop with amazing authority. Also, the additional weight helps to balance the EPO airframe without the need to add any weight.

I highly recommend this power setup for the P-40 if you want it to look authentic and still go faster than your friends.
Guess that you will be happy to tell us how low the current consumption?

If to be with GWS BL2028 that would even got more thrust!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:50 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
JimNM's Avatar
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
I just got to fly my second P40 last week. I added a set of changesun retracts for scale like 90 degree rotating wheels, a larger motor (Suppo 2820/6) and a larger red spinner. Total, I had to add 3 oz to the tail of the EPS frame to hit the c/g. Amp draw on 10*7 APC was 25 for 300 watts. 2# 6oz.

Now it has flown, it will be decorated.

Add magnets to the battery hatch.

Fly well!
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO View Post
Guess that you will be happy to tell us how low the current consumption?

If to be with GWS BL2028 that would even got more thrust!
I see the topspin video and his P-40 look to be very fast. I was looking to your web site and see the BL2028 looks like is smaller motor than 2815 motor. How can we get more thrust from smaller motor? I will build my P-40 soon and will try the BL2028 as you say but what gear and propeller is correct for the most thrust?

I can order this motor and gears from Caliber so please tell me which is best.

Thank you.
juanlargo is offline Find More Posts by juanlargo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ****GWS-40: The Never-Ending Legend of Flying Tigers**** RAY GWS Product Announcements 2 Sep 01, 2007 09:45 AM
NIB GWS 40 EDF units bruff Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 10, 2004 08:39 PM
hypethetical idea re: a never ending e-flight Dax Parkflyers 7 Feb 20, 2003 04:24 PM
Flying Tigers AVG dottney Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Feb 13, 2003 09:45 PM
Never ending problems adam_jorgensen Electric Heli Talk 7 May 28, 2002 11:51 AM