SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:21 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,176 Posts
Topspin is fixated on the weight difference between EPO and EPS - which is less than 10% - I bet it is closer to 6%. I had an EPS P-40 and an EPO FW190 at the same time. Both flew very well on 3s 2200 battery and I flew both on Suppo 2814-8 and Scorpion 2215-18. The weight differtial was not discernable between the two models of different foam when compared side by side. Blaming the foam for poor (percieved) performance is quite amusing - though still wrong.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 12:05 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Yeah, its not that big of a difference.
thrashmaster71 is online now Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old May 24, 2011, 12:57 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmaster71 View Post
You think? Go get one of each and weigh them. The difference is more like 15 percent. I use 2200 3S 40 C battries in mine with a 40 amp ESC so no wimpy stuff here. I just know that performance of the EPP foam models was much better with the same power plant.

EPO is great for wingspans of more than 40 inches but for smaller planes like these it just turns them into slugs.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
You think? Go get one of each and weigh them. The difference is more like 15 percent. I use 2200 3S 40 C battries in mine with a 40 amp ESC so no wimpy stuff here. I just know that performance of the EPP foam models was much better with the same power plant.

EPO is great for wingspans of more than 40 inches but for smaller planes like these it just turns them into slugs.
My Dad had the P-40 in both foams, and I flew them both. He took the power system out of the EPS, and put it in the EPO. There was very little drop off in acceleration, and it was only a 20C 3S 2200 battery and a 25amp ESC, so nothing special there. It would still climb into outer space.

If you are going much faster than that, you are probably going to want EPO anyway
Last edited by thrashmaster71; May 24, 2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 24, 2011, 03:58 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Topspin is fixated on the weight difference between EPO and EPS - which is less than 10% - I bet it is closer to 6%. I had an EPS P-40 and an EPO FW190 at the same time. Both flew very well on 3s 2200 battery and I flew both on Suppo 2814-8 and Scorpion 2215-18. The weight differtial was not discernable between the two models of different foam when compared side by side. Blaming the foam for poor (percieved) performance is quite amusing - though still wrong.
lol agree...amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmaster71 View Post
+1

Quote:

To maaaaybe try and help settle this debate between EPS Vs EPO in the weight/performance department I thought I'd add this.
I just took all the foam parts of this plane and mine is an EPS version BTW (yes still in the box waiting to be built ) and they weighed in at 300grams. Now going by the above figures lets exaggerate them even more and for arguments sake lets say there's a 20% weight difference (unlikely but just go with me on this one for a sec ) between EPS and EPO, which would then make and EPO version 60 grams (a shade over 2 ounces) heavier.
Now lets take another step forward and say that a fully built model, with 3S 2200 20C batt will come in at around 1kg. In my opinion if a plane this size has a power system by where a 60 gram (but most likely would be less) weight penalty is going to be enough to effect it, let alone even have the pilot notice.......then something ain't right
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old May 24, 2011, 04:39 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
You can speculate all day but my first P-40 weighed 22.6 ounces all up (battery and all). My EPO has the same electronics, motor, and battery and weighs 30.2 ounces AUW. I'm just telling the story here I'm not condeming anyone. How about you send me a PM if you have a problem otherwise I'll ask Mr. Lin to have a talk with you.

You guys are the funny ones..
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Movin' on to bigger and better?
Yep, moving up near Michigan, having a son end of may, thinning herd.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 05:51 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,176 Posts
If you are afraid of EPO, or think that it is S-L-O-W... do not click on this link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371681

These are small, simple and FFFFASTTTT! (though not GWS - offered as an illustration that EPO is not something to fear, rather than as an obnoxious over competition attempt)

I would welcome some communication from Mr. Lin - just as I would love to buy an EPO FW190 (again).
Old May 24, 2011, 09:36 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Quote:
You can speculate all day but my first P-40 weighed 22.6 ounces all up (battery and all). My EPO has the same electronics, motor, and battery and weighs 30.2 ounces AUW. I'm just telling the story here I'm not condeming anyone. How about you send me a PM if you have a problem otherwise I'll ask Mr. Lin to have a talk with you.

You guys are the funny ones..
holy cow! something seems way off with those numbers! My Dad's EPS P-40 was about 26oz. The EPO one was around 28oz. so about a 2oz difference like jbc says. Same guts.
Old May 25, 2011, 03:13 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
EPO is just another evolution of foam which came about when it started to become very popular amongst car manufactures for crash resistance, then some bright spark decided they'd start making planes out of it and see how the market responds....the rest as they say is history .
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old May 25, 2011, 07:17 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Yep, moving up near Michigan, having a son end of may, thinning herd.
Moving tends to have that effect, doesn't it? Given up lots of cool stuff in the past with my moves!

Great news about the son-on-the-way. No telling how far this hobby will have advanced by the time he's big enough to fly with you!

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old May 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Moving tends to have that effect, doesn't it? Given up lots of cool stuff in the past with my moves!

Great news about the son-on-the-way. No telling how far this hobby will have advanced by the time he's big enough to fly with you!

Jeff
No kidding, can't wait. i think he wants the micro corsair from pz, i just have a feeling. Actually thats what i think he's getting me for father's day.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
EPO is just another evolution of foam which came about when it started to become very popular amongst car manufactures for crash resistance, then some bright spark decided they'd start making planes out of it and see how the market responds....the rest as they say is history .
HI
How do I tell what type of foam my P40 is made from?

Thanks, RUD.
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old May 26, 2011, 10:09 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

HI
How do I tell what type of foam my P40 is made from?

Thanks, RUD.
The EPS will be your run of the mill beer cooler foam. EPO will have a much bigger bead, and will also have a bit of a waxy feel to it. You will also notice right away how it is much more difficult to dent the EPO foam and its more flexible than EPS.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:12 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,176 Posts
Super glue (CA glue) will eat away EPS. EPO is not, and EPO has a slight translucent appearance...