HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
If I was not connecting rmy tailwheel to the rudder I would have it fixed so that it could not turn to the left or right. My GWS-40 has a rather viscious turn to the left if power is added too quickly on take off. I think that a castoring tailwheel would not be any help in controling this turn before the rudder became effective.

Ken
I hand launch my P-40, so haven't experienced that, but I can say I much prefer to have the tail wheel linked into the rudder if those quick adjustments are needed as you say. And since the P-40 is designed with the tail wheel linked to the rudder anyway, I don't see any reason to deviate from that. That bottom tailwheel wire pivot is also a key hinge point for the bottom of rudder on the P-40.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Quick change tail wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I hand launch my P-40, so haven't experienced that, but I can say I much prefer to have the tail wheel linked into the rudder if those quick adjustments are needed as you say. And since the P-40 is designed with the tail wheel linked to the rudder anyway, I don't see any reason to deviate from that. That bottom tailwheel wire pivot is also a key hinge point for the bottom of rudder on the P-40.
OK, I changed it, to linked to the the rudder.
Wouldn't hurt to get some "driving around" experience.
All I need now is, the wind to be something less than gale force, and a little less liquid sunshine.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Last edited by RUDDERLESS; Apr 28, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Okay, it's been a couple of weeks. How did the rudder/tail wheel mod work out for you?

I'm trying to decide on the same question for my FMS Spitfire. Got guys over on that thread who are letting it caster and happy with it, but I don't know...
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old May 14, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Unreliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Okay, it's been a couple of weeks. How did the rudder/tail wheel mod work out for you?

I'm trying to decide on the same question for my FMS Spitfire. Got guys over on that thread who are letting it caster and happy with it, but I don't know...
Hey JMAH.
All I was able to do, weather, life, etc, was "drive" it around a bit on the drive way.
I ended up bending in a little "right wheel", so it would track to the right a liitle bit to help me for my 1st take off.
Don't even know if that is smart.
I will report as soon as I have some thing.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old May 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post
...All I was able to do, weather, life, etc, was "drive" it around a bit on the drive way...I will report as soon as I have some thing.

RUD
No worries! We'll be happy to hear how it goes when you get around to it.

Jeff
Old May 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
I jumped back into the GWS P-40 owner club with an purchase from a member here. I can't remember how thick the wing is over the l/g area. I have a set of CHANGESUN electric retracts that can be made to rotate. Has anyone done this? Mine should ship this week, so I have a few more days before I can see first hand.

Be well,
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 15, 2011, 12:21 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
I jumped back into the GWS P-40 owner club with an purchase from a member here. I can't remember how thick the wing is over the l/g area. I have a set of CHANGESUN electric retracts that can be made to rotate. Has anyone done this? Mine should ship this week, so I have a few more days before I can see first hand.

Be well,
JimNM
Jim I've had my P-40 for several years and that was the exact idea I had as well. I have the retracts but just haven't gotten around to it. The wing is very thick and IMO it would be a very easy mod. Make sure you post pics because I'm sure you will do yours before I get around to mine and then I can copy your good ideas.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
No problem, Guised. I may order another wing to experiment on because the one I just bought is already painted and knowing how I do things... it won't go well on the first try
Old May 15, 2011, 01:25 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Here is a picture of the wing unpainted. This one is EPO which is probably a better choice for installing retracts.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
Thanks TS. I have long been a supported of EPO (which my FW190.was) my previous P40 was EPA and was given to me, and this new one was a bargain. Were I to buy a new one, it would be EPO. That said, do you have a source for EPO parts?

Thanks,
Jim
Old May 23, 2011, 08:03 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
33 flights like new pnp epo p-40

LIKE new EPO p-40 for sale.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post18315075
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 07:40 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Movin' on to bigger and better?
Old May 24, 2011, 08:26 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
My only problem with the EPO P-40 and FW-190 is that they are heavy for their size. In order to get sport plane performance out of them you need at least a .10 sized motor. The problem then becomes one of battery and motor weight.

The power to weight ratio is just all wrong for a plane of this size so if you just want something that barely flys scale this is it. If you want a plane with unlimited vertical you need to look elsewhere.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
My only problem with the EPO P-40 and FW-190 is that they are heavy for their size. In order to get sport plane performance out of them you need at least a .10 sized motor. The problem then becomes one of battery and motor weight.

The power to weight ratio is just all wrong for a plane of this size so if you just want something that barely flys scale this is it. If you want a plane with unlimited vertical you need to look elsewhere.
The GWS 3008/16 (blm006) is a perfect motor for this plane. Plenty of go with a 10x5 APC e-prop.
thrashmaster71 is online now Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old May 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmaster71 View Post
The GWS 3008/16 (blm006) is a perfect motor for this plane. Plenty of go with a 10x5 APC e-prop.
That depends on your definition of plenty. I found a 350 watt 1200 KV motor with a 10X6 prop to be just so so.

I settled on a GWEPSQ2815R with a B gear and 1006HD/3 blade prop. It works OK but is pushed to it's limit and still is not what I would like. If you put the same motor in the EPP foam version it would be a rocket ship. The EPO is just heavy and is well suited for larger airplanes.