HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 04:09 PM
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Sep 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
You have a PM.

Pat
payment sent, thank you!
intimidator_md is offline Find More Posts by intimidator_md
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:59 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I have had my Warhawk since 2008, and recently installed a pilot. Going for a "Walking dead squadron' motiv' with my war birds. These little fellas are prefect size, and I got them right after Halloween on sale for like a dollar a pack. There were only 2 packs left and I got them both. Can be found online though. Already sourced them on Ebay in case I run out.

I just cut their legs and arms off and glued them back on the way I needed them. Might reposition fingers so that he grabs the controls at some point.

Keep'm Flyin

Cub
Cub do you have a link for those skeletons? I went looking but can't find em
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:42 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/Skeleton-Garland...6#ht_868wt_905

Here you go JBC. Just do a search for Skeleton Garland and you want the 6 inch tall guys. Just simply cut off the twine. They are a bit more money than I thought, but I had originally looked at 4 packs on ebay. 8 pack is the way to go. I have put these guys in several of my planes now.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2540

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=348

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2664

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:54 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
I also put one in my 64mm F-117 EDF Jet. This time with the double devil horns and tongue hanging. I put the heat gun on medium, softened the jaw, cut with xacto knife, then dremeled out the lower jaw in the under tongue area. Then just red marker on paper for a tongue. Made the eyes using hot glue, then dabbing on testers model master flat white, then poking with black sharpie. Wanted him to look like he is crazy!!

Cub

Disclaimer: I understand that this thread is meant for the GWS P40. I wont let it happen again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:01 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
LOL that's cool cheers for the link!
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Tail wheel

RUDDERLESS is installing a rudder servo .
I have only been doing hand lauches so far, and now need to graduate to ground take offs.
I built my P40 to be able to link the tail wheel to the rudder, lock to the fuse, or allow to rotate freely.
I am not going to link to the rudder for now, because of my flying and the stresses created by same.
My question is, which do you all think would be the most stable during take off and landing, fixed to the fuse, or allowed to rotate freely.

Thanks for any and all input.

RUDDERLEES.
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Last edited by RUDDERLESS; Apr 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
My P-40 in immaculate shape, is up for sale. Eflite park 480 motor. All Eflite S75 servos. has allways been a belly slider, but has hardly been flown since I built it. The wing is glassed in 3/4oz cloth. $130 shipped to the lower 48, RxR. PM me with email address for pics if interested.

Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:51 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post
...My question is, which do you all think would be the most stable during take off and landing, fixed to the fuse, or allowed to rotate freely...
Mine is tied to the rudder. I usually hand toss and belly land her, but the times I've rolled takeoffs I needed the steerable tail wheel early in the roll (I try to make them appear more like scale). I would think a freely castering tail wheel would require non-scale takeoffs.

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Tail wheel advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Mine is tied to the rudder. I usually hand toss and belly land her, but the times I've rolled takeoffs I needed the steerable tail wheel early in the roll (I try to make them appear more like scale). I would think a freely castering tail wheel would require non-scale takeoffs.

Jeff
Thanks JMAH.
Looks like I will lock to the rudder.

RUD.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:13 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,280 Posts
You can still do scalelike takeoffs either way. Regardless of caster or steerable you still steer the rudder. Once your tracking straight you can ease off rudder with either scenario.

The bigger issue might be the mains. They tend to toe in or out and kind of skid or hop. I modded mine really sturdy with a caste ring tailwheel in the scale location and love it.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Tail wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
You can still do scalelike takeoffs either way. Regardless of caster or steerable you still steer the rudder. Once your tracking straight you can ease off rudder with either scenario.

The bigger issue might be the mains. They tend to toe in or out and kind of skid or hop. I modded mine really sturdy with a caste ring tailwheel in the scale location and love it.
Thanks, RYRAMZ
My thinking, I think like yours, was the rudder was needed for take off, as the tendency to yaw left was aerodynamic, therefore just let the tail wheel caster, which would put less stress on the rudder and servo.
From my car racing days, I always set up the mains to have initial toe in, which is the most stable toe setting.

RUD
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:46 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, RYRAMZ
My thinking, I think like yours, was the rudder was needed for take off, as the tendency to yaw left was aerodynamic, therefore just let the tail wheel caster, which would put less stress on the rudder and servo.
From my car racing days, I always set up the mains to have initial toe in, which is the most stable toe setting.

RUD
Actually, it's both! Until there is sufficient airflow over the rudder, the tail wheel is the more effective directional device. Once sufficient airflow is attained for the rudder, the tail wheel is less so.

If you roll the plane slowly enough to make it truly scale (watch the films of the real plane take off...it takes a while!), there will be a significant portion at the beginning of the roll where a steerable tail wheel is nice to have.

But truly scale take offs are kind of a pain, so unless you're attempting that, a freely castering tail wheel would work because you'll get sufficient airflow over the rudder very quickly.

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Actually, it's both! Until there is sufficient airflow over the rudder, the tail wheel is the more effective directional device. Once sufficient airflow is attained for the rudder, the tail wheel is less so.

If you roll the plane slowly enough to make it truly scale (watch the films of the real plane take off...it takes a while!), there will be a significant portion at the beginning of the roll where a steerable tail wheel is nice to have.

But truly scale take offs are kind of a pain, so unless you're attempting that, a freely castering tail wheel would work because you'll get sufficient airflow over the rudder very quickly.

Jeff
I'd agree with that. Actually, the tail lifts off the ground fairly quickly when the tail feathers have sufficient airspeed for steering, and the tail wheel becomes in-effective at that point no matter what. The BIGGEST benefit of a tailwheel linked to the rudder is for turning around during landings or taxiing, not for takeoff runs.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 26, 2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:46 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Thanks

JMAH & TOM
Good thoughtful input.
I will be going caster, I have enough power to make a short take off, and don't need/want to do scale take offs, and I don't fly at a club field.
If I need to link the tail wheel to the rudder for taxiing, I can change to that relatively easily.

RUD
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:15 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
JMAH & TOM
Good thoughtful input.
I will be going caster, I have enough power to make a short take off, and don't need/want to do scale take offs, and I don't fly at a club field.
If I need to link the tail wheel to the rudder for taxiing, I can change to that relatively easily.

RUD
If I was not connecting rmy tailwheel to the rudder I would have it fixed so that it could not turn to the left or right. My GWS-40 has a rather viscious turn to the left if power is added too quickly on take off. I think that a castoring tailwheel would not be any help in controling this turn before the rudder became effective.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp