HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:34 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,355 Posts
Jeff I used to cut open all the intake positions in the cowling. N ow i only cut the top one. seems to help and also keeps some structural integrity in the cowl without any mods. I run a 3530 from headsup with a mas 10 6 prop 32 amp esc and 2200 lipos tonite i had a 10 min flight and one 12minute and batteries come out just a little warm but not much at all. The only exit hole for the air is the antenna exit on the bottom of the fuse, so i think the very small hole on the top of the cowling is enough. Look at the specs at www.headsuprc.com for the motor size and kv you mentioned and see if the 10 8 might be over amping your system good luck man. I am really loving my P 40.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:09 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,000 Posts
WELL,

JMAH,

i have not built this plane yet so i am not the expert but i have built the fw190 and no what you mean about heat with this big of motor. i do agree with RyramZ that you want to keep the cowl strong.

so i was going to cut the top hole like he said then the 2 side bottom holes. not the very bottom hole so you have strength all the way through the center.

i then will open up every hole all the way back as much as possible to the antenna hole and hog the heck out of the antenna hole using my rotary tool.

here is a shot of my antenna hole on my 190. its a different plane but you get the idea. this hole was only 1/4 " in dia to start with.

on the p40 i will not go very wide and make it long so you cant see the hole form the top or side. opening up the exhaust helps way more then anything but you need that tunnel to get it to that point.

here is the pic

later Andrew K
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:37 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Thanks, guys--very helpful.

Looking at headsuprc's data, I may try out one of those APC 11x5.5 props. Supposedly more thrust at lower amperage than my GWS 1080 that I'm using.

I've also got some engineering to do with the airflow through the battery bay issue. I've done repair work previously on the firewall, so I'll have to figure a way to get some cooling through there. Just have to figure out how to do it without completely disassembling the fuselage!

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:37 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Wow, what a difference the APC 11 x 5.5 prop makes!

I still would like to add some more airflow through the battery bay, but changing the prop and dropping the amp load resulted in a nice, cool battery at the end of an 8 minute flight anyway.

The battery took less than 1400 mAh to recharge, and it sure seemed like it was producing more thrust than the 1080 I had been using.

Plus, it had a really cool growl at full throttle. Gotta go for the cool factor.

Cheers!
Jeff
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:41 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,000 Posts
super P-40 look out parkzone theres going to be a new kid in town.

well, since this forum has kind of slowed down.

i think i am going to build my p-40.

i am going for speed as usual. this time i am going to go way overboard.

i was going to order some of the new nano 3s 2200 45c anyway so i thought why not see what i can get away with and really test these batteries.

all my planes fly the 3s configuration except my big 60 series mustang which uses a 6s 5000mah pack. so as not to stray from the 3s packs as most step up to a 4s for more speed i started looking at two 3s 2200's in series. i have motorcalc so i have hammered the numbers pretty good.

my plane is a eps version. i am hoping not to make this a belly lander. if i can keep the weight down i will add the retracts as i am very familiar with bad belly landings on my gws mustang. prop catching is a bad thing. so we shall see.

i also no how bad these cowls are form reading and i want a differant front end so the cowl will probably have to go and be replaced with some sort of foam.

i have a hobbyking supersimple 90-100esc. i have found a motor to fit the bill also. its not what you would think. its a turnigy red and blue version 36-48 880 kv. the reason i am looking at using this motor instead of the 1450 kv is the amperage draw. if i go the 880 kv root i can keep the amps down to around 60 to 70 amps which at 60 amps is close to a 60% duty cycle on a nano 2200 45c battery. so the batteries should live and live long.

now to get the speed back up using this low of kv i am planing on running an apc 9x9 and possibly cutting down a 11x11 or even a 12x12 to a 9x11 or a 9x12.

according to motor calc i should see in the 130-140 mph.. so it shall be a test of this model, motorcalc, and the batteries.

i am not going to cover this plane it will be in its true trim as to keep the weight down as much as posible. i do however put a carbon spar in all my foam planes. this make the wing indestructible so far.

anyways let me no what you guys think of my hair Brain idea? do you think i can get the batteries to fit? would like some ideas on the cowl also.

here is a pic of the Curtis p-40 version i am going after, it has a little more sleek lines in the front.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:22 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Is this kit EPO or EPS?

Hey guys, new to the thread and am slowly making my way through it. Just curious about the new supposedly EPO P40, looking at the foam it sure doesn't look like EPO but more like EPS. I've got plenty of EPO planes and even put it next to my EPO Dauntless and the foam definitely doesn't look/feel like EPO
Got the kit part# GWAEO028B from gwsprops.com, wouldn't mind hearing others thoughts....

cheers,
John
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:25 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Hey guys, new to the thread and am slowly making my way through it. Just curious about the new supposedly EPO P40, looking at the foam it sure doesn't look like EPO but more like EPS. I've got plenty of EPO planes and even put it next to my EPO Dauntless and the foam definitely doesn't look/feel like EPO
Got the kit part# GWAEO028B from gwsprops.com, wouldn't mind hearing others thoughts....

cheers,
John
They made both sounds like you got an EPS one. Mine's EPS and its lighter than the EPO one. Besides, if you don't crash, it won't matter.

Good luck
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
ohhh man that sux not that I make it a habit if crashing but you know....the 'just in case' security that sorta comes with EPO. Does anyone have a part number for the painted EPO kit? would be helpful in case I ever have to order again
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
ohhh man that sux not that I make it a habit if crashing but you know....the 'just in case' security that sorta comes with EPO. Does anyone have a part number for the painted EPO kit? would be helpful in case I ever have to order again
I had looked on theCaliberHobby.com site (GWS's phantom web outlet store), and it appears the EPO ONLY comes unpainted. But the GWSProps.com store you ordered from should have been more specific in their listing so you know what you are buying!

If you really want EPO and don't mind painting it, then I'd try to work out a replacement with the store you bought it from since they were not specif what which version they were selling.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
So if I'm correct what you're saying is that the painted version is EPS and the unpainted version is EPO?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:02 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,758 Posts
Quote:
So if I'm correct what you're saying is that the painted version is EPS and the unpainted version is EPO?
Yes, that's the way I interpret their web page. You can always call to confirm. EPO does not take paint as easily as EPS, and cannot take the same paint well that you would normally use on EPS. I think that's why they don't come painted in EPO.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Headsuprc.com has EPO GWS-40s for $70 (plus $4.95 shipping).

I have never had a bad customer service experience with them. They ship fast and stand by their products. I highly recommend them.

Jeff

p.s. As far as the EPO/EPS debate goes, my plane is like a flying miracle. It has survived so many crashes that would have demolished an EPS bird that I've lost count.

Doesn't say much for my flying, I know, but I have lots of excuses...it was the radio glitching again!!!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:21 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Headsuprc.com has EPO GWS-40s for $70 (plus $4.95 shipping).

I have never had a bad customer service experience with them. They ship fast and stand by their products. I highly recommend them.

Jeff

p.s. As far as the EPO/EPS debate goes, my plane is like a flying miracle. It has survived so many crashes that would have demolished an EPS bird that I've lost count.

Doesn't say much for my flying, I know, but I have lots of excuses...it was the radio glitching again!!!
May be a bit more than $4.95 to Oz though. BTW I have witnessed some of Jeff's "glitches" and it is amazing the abuse that thing has taken and it still flies great.
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:51 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
LOL glitching....I think we've all experienced that every now and again

from what I can gather it seems what was said earlier about painted = EPS vs unpainted = EPO, it's just that websites don't make this very clear which is very annoying and personally I don't mind the slight gain in weight for the added protection EPO brings against 'glitching'
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:14 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
May be a bit more than $4.95 to Oz though...
Ouch! Yeah, I missed the Australia part. Nevertheless, I'll always try to find a way to get in a HeadsUpRC plug whenever I can.

I think I saw a forecast high of 44 (F) for Christmas Day. But as my buddy from Syracuse used to always say, "If the sun's out, it's warm". That'll have to be our rallying cry, Alan!

Here's hoping for warmer temps for everyone else when they unwrap their presents!

Jeff