HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:37 PM
what goes up also goes down !!
GREECE
Joined Sep 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
This is the exact motor I have on mine. It runs great with any 10x8 2-blade prop, or a 9x7x3 blade prop.

ok thanks mate really good answer !!! i start reading the site for infos for newbies
manjochr is offline Find More Posts by manjochr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:58 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjochr View Post
ok thanks mate really good answer !!! i start reading the site for infos for newbies
No problem. Good luck. Remember to keep it light and balanced.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:20 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
No problem. Good luck. Remember to keep it light and balanced.
How do you keep it light and balanced with that big motor and 2200-3000 mAh lipos? Man that is HEAVY by my measure.

Light is this size motor or this one with an 18A ESC, 1300 mAh 3S lipo and 10x6 prop. Balances perfectly, flies with authority, and lands slow. Not a blazing rocket, but very agile and better-than-scale performance.

Just thought I'd give the other side of the coin.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:33 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Big motor yes, but the biggest battery I have used is a 2200. I've read where some have used 3000's with success. Mine is definitely on the heavier side, but now that I've got the bugs worked out, it flies great - more towards the blazing rocket spectrum.

I went through a nasty spell where I also had a heavy Dubro 3blade spinner on it. It was so nose heavy I had to add steel to the tail to balance it out. It did not like being that heavy. It's the only time I've ever had to add weight to the tail of a plane.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Big motor yes, but the biggest battery I have used is a 2200. I've read where some have used 3000's with success. Mine is definitely on the heavier side, but now that I've got the bugs worked out, it flies great - more towards the blazing rocket spectrum.

I went through a nasty spell where I also had a heavy Dubro 3blade spinner on it. It was so nose heavy I had to add steel to the tail to balance it out. It did not like being that heavy. It's the only time I've ever had to add weight to the tail of a plane.
I hear you on the spinner. That's the one big negative with this plane... the stock foam spinner does not work well with an outrunner using a collet prop adaptor. The nice third party spinners add about 2 oz. to the nose... I could not use one even on my light version without tail weight, and I don't add "dead" weight for balancing. I managed to kludge a mod for the foam spinner with a ply backing plate, but then could not change a prop without a lot of hassle. Fortunately, I did many belly landings and never broke a prop, but finally managed to dumb thumb mine into the ground doing low stuff so far out I lost orientation. Then tried a higher pitch 9 in. prop, and had a severe left roll-over nose dig... just too much torque and not enough thrust with the large blocking frontal area of the cowl to get up to flying speed fast enough. I would not recommend anything less than a 10 in. prop with the lighter power version and hand launching.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:03 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
how does this plane fly compared to the fw 190? because i have this motor in the 190 and it flies awsome. straight up and even nife edges. the plane is a beast. so you got me really wondering how i will set the p-40 up.. oh here is the motor i run in the 190..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._(Eq:_AXi_2814
57sailplane is online now Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
It will be in the "Heavy Rocket" category. That motor is almost twice as heavy as the one in mine.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:40 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,300 Posts
motor choice for me is http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail my p 40 is the epo version with a heavy dubro spinner, i can fly for just under 10 minutes safely with a 22oo 20c lipo and a 32 amp esc I would use the 2830 09/450 if mine were eps and a lighter spinner, i use the 2830 09 on my epo t6 with a 2200 lipo and it's awesome.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:34 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Roger Lombard recommended that I try this motor http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...idproduct=6247 so I did.

I now have one on my GWS-40 and one on my 40 GWS-190 using GWS 10 x 8 HD propellers. Because the motor KV is low I use a high pitch propeller to give a good pitch speed. In this configuration the Amp draw is low so an 1800 mAh 20C battery can give me 10 minute + flights if I make two approach and overshoots on every flight.

My GWS-40 is an EPO Version and my GWS-190 has flaps and retracts so neither model is in the lightweight category but then they are not excessively heavy either.

With both retracts and flaps the GWS-190 adds an extra dimension to approaches and overshoots

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
hey kensp,

since you have bothe planes i am wondering how they compare in landing of corse without flaps on the 190.

how close and at what weight are they.

i am thinking of puting a 35-42 1450kv tunigy with a 4s 2200 in the p-40.. my 190 is a pig at 34oz. so if they fly close to the same and i can keep the p-40 lighter i think i am in, but unsure. let me know what you think on landing and all.

thanks andrew K.
57sailplane is online now Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:29 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
hey kensp,

since you have bothe planes i am wondering how they compare in landing of corse without flaps on the 190.

i am thinking of puting a 35-42 1450kv tunigy with a 4s 2200 in the p-40.. my 190 is a pig at 34oz. so if they fly close to the same and i can keep the p-40 lighter i think i am in, but unsure. let me know what you think on landing and all.

thanks andrew K.
Do you already have the p 40? How are you going to fit the 4s battery in there? just curious
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:37 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
hey kensp,

thanks andrew K.
I think that the GWS-190 is the easier to land without flaps. The long nose of the GWS-40 makes it harder to land without the nose ending up scraping along the ground.

Ken
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:04 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
I build my Spinner with the original GWS foam-parts and a sock-trouser
when its glued it with wooden glue (right word??) i fixed
the spinner on a plastic spinnerplate...
its very hard an have not vibrations by full throttle

greetings
chris03 is offline Find More Posts by chris03
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:33 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I modified the spinner in the kit using the method detailed in this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...52&postcount=8.The spinner has been placed in a Dremel tool and tested to 23,000 RPM with no vibration noted.The mod makes a spinner that will not come off, even on an inverted nose in crash as shown by the attached photo.

Ken
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Anyone got the skinny on a simple, yet effective way to increase cooling air through this bird's battery bay?

I'm flying a 3536 (1100 kV) wiith a GWS 1080 prop, rarely at WOT (three-quarter throttle or less), and about eight minute flight times. The batteries usually end up warmer than I prefer, so I'm thinking more air has to help.

Thanks!
Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH