HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:40 AM
Registered User
57sailplane's Avatar
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
i am thinking if i ever get around to building this plane that i will porbably do a bash on it and make it either a MIG-3 or a LaGG-3 this way i can make it a little more areodynamic, and shed the nose cone that everyone is needing. i am definaly puting my 1300 kv (tested 1395kv) turnigy 3536 in her with a 4s 40c battery.. the nose will be made of foam. but not sure when i will get to it. lots of projects on the table right now. i just got done with my electrified 64" 60series p-51 ebay mustang powered by turnigy. i have madened it. but still do not have it set up just right. need another flight to get the throws were i want them. i am seeing 60-70 mph with this bird and i have a more piched prop sitting on the shelf. anyways just jabering cause i keep reading this thread. i have the f190 and this bird was to be the replacement. but the fw190 keeps flying. anyways..

talk at you later andrew K.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:27 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
I also use a 2 1/2" Dubro spinner. Four screws to take the spinner off each time I change the prop (or more likely, replace a smashed cowl!), but other than that minor hassle, the spinner is great.

It weighs a lot more than the foam spinner, of course, but it's survived multiple encounters with terra firma. I've been amazed.

I spin it with a PowerUp 450 Sport from Headsuprc. Very good performance.

Jeff
good to hear it, man i only use two of the screws now in alternate, got tired of undoing all 4. i have been flying mine for awhile now with the 1400 kv 480 from headsup with an 8 6 prop. i'm getting ready to build my second one and am going with the lower kv so i can run a 10 6 prop like i originally intended. before i knew better i was running the high kv with a 10 6, the plane was stupid fast, but i totally cooked the esc, seriously it blew up. when i was repairing the plane i found melted solder splattered in the fuse and cowl. the plane was smoking then i lost control then it blew up like a lightning flash, then hit the dirt hard. i have gotten to like the 8 inch prop though for belly landings. still waiting for some rotating retracts for the next one.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
2 Cor 5.21
JMAH's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Wish you had that one on video! The most exciting wrong-prop-for-the-motor experience I've had was putting a GWS 1080 prop with a PowerUp 450 Speed motor (1200 kV) on my P-40.

Very fast, but then on one pass I noticed the spinner was pointing down at a strange angle...

Got it on the ground quickly and found that I had melted the motor mount! Motor and ESC lived, thankfully.

Until I knuckle under and put the 480 in it, that'll definitely be the fastest that plane will ever go!

Much more exciting than simply testing with a wattmeter, I say!

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Wish you had that one on video! The most exciting wrong-prop-for-the-motor experience I've had was putting a GWS 1080 prop with a PowerUp 450 Speed motor (1200 kV) on my P-40.

Very fast, but then on one pass I noticed the spinner was pointing down at a strange angle...

Got it on the ground quickly and found that I had melted the motor mount! Motor and ESC lived, thankfully.

Until I knuckle under and put the 480 in it, that'll definitely be the fastest that plane will ever go!

Much more exciting than simply testing with a wattmeter, I say!

Jeff
I second that comotion!!
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:34 AM
2 Cor 5.21
JMAH's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Beefier Struts

Did a little messing around with "scale-looking" rolling takeoffs the other day, but had a real problem with the flimsy gear struts bending during the takeoff roll.

I'd get a nice, straight, slowly accelerating roll going, then one of the struts would bend and it would zip off to the left or right (I thought it was simply left torque affecting me at first, but then noticed it was going off to the right, too).

Anyway, stiffer struts like on the Art-Tech P-51 or Corsair seem like they'd be nice to have, but I'm not sure how to mount them.

I probably ought to just go with the retract option, but I'd rather save the coin...

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Did a little messing around with "scale-looking" rolling takeoffs the other day, but had a real problem with the flimsy gear struts bending during the takeoff roll.

I'd get a nice, straight, slowly accelerating roll going, then one of the struts would bend and it would zip off to the left or right (I thought it was simply left torque affecting me at first, but then noticed it was going off to the right, too).

Anyway, stiffer struts like on the Art-Tech P-51 or Corsair seem like they'd be nice to have, but I'm not sure how to mount them.

I probably ought to just go with the retract option, but I'd rather save the coin...

Jeff
I bend up legs from thicker wire. I drill out the hole in the stock GWS plastic block, and widen the slot with my Dremel tool. I even made a jig to bend the wire since all the gws plastic blocks have the same spacing.
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
2 Cor 5.21
JMAH's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry076 View Post
I bend up legs from thicker wire. I drill out the hole in the stock GWS plastic block, and widen the slot with my Dremel tool. I even made a jig to bend the wire since all the gws plastic blocks have the same spacing.
Very helpful--do you happen to recall what gauge wire you use that ended up being rigid enough without weighing too much? I assume it was a trial-and-error kind of process.

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:06 PM
Registered User
57sailplane's Avatar
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
i did the same thing made my own gear for another gws bird, mine are .074 thick music wire you get at the Lhs. bent them with a vise and hammer and linmans pliers. the thicker and stronger wire is much better. you have to have a compromise with weight and stiffness to your liking so ya i would say a trial and error thing.

later andrew k.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:56 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Very helpful--do you happen to recall what gauge wire you use that ended up being rigid enough without weighing too much? I assume it was a trial-and-error kind of process.

Jeff
I'll measure the wire tonight. One tip I can give is make them as short as possible which will save weight. The legs I made for my Zero were too long, and I flipped the nose over on landing most of the time. I cut them so the prop had maybe 3/4" ground clearance when the tail was up and now I rarely flip it.
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
Registered User
kensp's Avatar
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Very helpful--do you happen to recall what gauge wire you use that ended up being rigid enough without weighing too much? I assume it was a trial-and-error kind of process.

Jeff
I bent up a new undercarriage from 3/32 K&S Music wire purchased from my local hobby store. I wound the coil around a1/4 bolt.

The original GWS wire is 2mm and 3/32 wire is 2.38 MM. I have found the 3/32 wire to be quite adequate and now use it on all my larger GWS Warbirds.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 06:03 PM
Registered User
sebsoupe's Avatar
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN View Post
Thank you Dan, Hi Sebsoupe, this is the link regarding the said GWS 38mm motor mount. http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/other/gwemm002.htm It comes with the adapter fitting the stock stick in 10mm square. It also fits the 15mm one without using the adapter.

Chen
Hello!
let's see the difference between the 28mm and the 38mm motor mount...
it's clear that the motor axle can't be in the same position if you use one or the other...
and the P40 slot for the square bamboo is made for a 28mm motor mount that can't be used with a 30xx GWS motor (but only with a 22xx GWS motor)
Bye
sebsoupe
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 06:40 PM
Registered User
57sailplane's Avatar
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
get the eflite mount. if fits in close to the same spot as the 28mm mount. and you can mount 35mm turnigy motors on it with some sloting of holes.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
get the eflite mount. if fits in close to the same spot as the 28mm mount. and you can mount 35mm turnigy motors on it with some sloting of holes.
I was really glad to see that Eflite began making these mounts again. They went out of production last year and for many months were very hard to find. Looks like they are readily available again.

It was suggested to GWS last year that they REALLY should make their own and include them in their kits. It's the ONLY simple way to stick mount a conventional outrunner on most all of their planes, and outrunners are the name of the game now. Geared inrunners, and especially brushed ones, are obsolete! GWS listens, but they don't hear very well.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:42 PM
Registered User
57sailplane's Avatar
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I was really glad to see that Eflite began making these mounts again. They went out of production last year and for many months were very hard to find. Looks like they are readily available again.

It was suggested to GWS last year that they REALLY should make their own and include them in their kits. It's the ONLY simple way to stick mount a conventional outrunner on most all of their planes, and outrunners are the name of the game now. Geared inrunners, and especially brushed ones, are obsolete! GWS listens, but they don't hear very well.
agreed, they listen, talk, chat, but do not produce. as a matter of fact i think its been 2 years now.. i love there planes but i think they are antiques so i may hold on to my kit.. it looks like it may be worth somthing...
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:02 AM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
The Tiger Moth 400 is one of their "antiques" I will always want to have. I've consider stashing away 2-3 of them just so I will still have one for the foreseeable future. Nothing else GWS had managed to squeeze out the door or talk about producing now interest me at all (i.e. digital servos, beginner 2.4 radio systems, EDFs, RTFS, etc.).

Since this is the P-40 thread, that's one I like as well, but not like the TM400.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ****GWS-40: The Never-Ending Legend of Flying Tigers**** RAY GWS Product Announcements 2 Sep 01, 2007 09:45 AM
NIB GWS 40 EDF units bruff Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 10, 2004 08:39 PM
hypethetical idea re: a never ending e-flight Dax Parkflyers 7 Feb 20, 2003 04:24 PM
Flying Tigers AVG dottney Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Feb 13, 2003 09:45 PM
Never ending problems adam_jorgensen Electric Heli Talk 7 May 28, 2002 11:51 AM