Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:37 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
I think it's too much torque. When I test it the first time I tried to gain speed gradually during take off but it always turn to the left, the second time same thing happened, so I pulled the motor out push it more to the right and a bit down to adjust my thrust angle and got better result.

Allan
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Last edited by iscozky; Aug 19, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Nov 2008
7 Posts
gws p40 epo maiden

P40 GWS RPV (3 min 29 sec)

ok take off

bad landing
ashleymatthew is offline Find More Posts by ashleymatthew
Last edited by ashleymatthew; Aug 20, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:11 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky
I think it's too much torque. When I test it the first time I tried to gain speed gradually during take off but it always turn to the left, the second time same thing happened, so I pulled the motor out push it more to the right and a bit down to adjust my thrust angle and got better result.

Allan
Are you using the stock motor? The reason I ask is I noticed my P-40 does the same thing on take off, wants to pull left. At first I thought it was the tail wheel so I checked alignment and even bent in a little right turn. That helped a little along with almost full right rudder on take off it would stay straight enough until I got in the air.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Same here. I was using a GWS 3-blade prop on mine and it really wanted to go left on takeoff. Had to feed in lots of right rudder to keep her tracking straight until airborne.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:35 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Same here. I was using a GWS 3-blade prop on mine and it really wanted to go left on takeoff. Had to feed in lots of right rudder to keep her tracking straight until airborne.

Pat
I think that it is all of the above mentioned things. Torque along with the tail wheel assembly. Are you able to lessen the rudder input as the plane picks up speed or do you hold your input constant untill you are in the air?
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:10 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
[QUOTE=skywarp1]Are you using the stock motor? The reason I ask is I noticed my P-40 does the same thing on take off, wants to pull left.

Nope, I'm using this kind of motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=4916

Same thing happened to my brother in law's plane, it tends to go to the left as shown in the video above. But now everything works well, I'll try to post video again coz the take off right now is very controllable. Btw I didn't use any of the stock wheel and wires, I use P38 wheel from phase 3 for the front and dubro for the tail, the dubro has great ground control, I also did the same thing with my FW 190 for the tail wheel.
Last edited by iscozky; Aug 21, 2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
ryamZ,

As soon as the tailwheel leaves the ground, you can lessen rudder input.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:56 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Hey thanks guys, I'm using a dubro a spinner with a backplate and my shaft is fine, you should see the cowl though it is split and taped up, and to be honest my tape job isn't the best. I think that is what makes the noise. Thanks for the advice guys, my new one is ready for paint very excited, i haven't been able to fly my p40 that is in the video because i broke my motor mount it was the eflite type that is no longer manufactured, so i'm grounded on that one until i find time to do serious modification {ie} add firewall..unfortunately i drilled out the lower stick position to allow air flow around my esc so i can't use the gws motor mount like i am on my new one,
BUMMER, good thing is my new one is almost ready..been flying my gws t6 a lot, also the PT 17 except i have taken off the top wing and fly it like a PT 19, i miss my P 40..

Mine is louder now too with the "modded" cowl! Same Dubro spinner. I have two new cowls but haven't taken the time to paint them yet. Nice vid. My P-40 is probably my favorite flyer right now.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:11 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Mine is louder now too with the "modded" cowl! Same Dubro spinner. I have two new cowls but haven't taken the time to paint them yet. Nice vid. My P-40 is probably my favorite flyer right now.

Regards,
Alan
My P 40 is my only flyer right now, my T6 had a fatal crash yesterday i was in an inverted loop and half my wing flew off. Foam shrapnel everywhere. EPO T6 on the way. Anyhow having lots of fun flying my P 40 again after finding the mount I needed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
I asked this question a while back but got no answers. What is an appropriate sized stearable tailwheel assembly that is suitable for use on a GWS 40?
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:21 PM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
cyano + EPO = OK???

Hello!
Iwould like to know if it's possible to glue the EPO P40 (or T6/FW190) with cyano (instead of GWS glue) ???
Thanks,
sebsoupe
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:38 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebsoupe
Hello!
Iwould like to know if it's possible to glue the EPO P40 (or T6/FW190) with cyano (instead of GWS glue) ???
Thanks,
sebsoupe
I use ca on my epo and it works just fine. i also use the gws glue at first to glue things together and then the ca to hold it in place.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:45 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condre'
I asked this question a while back but got no answers. What is an appropriate sized stearable tailwheel assembly that is suitable for use on a GWS 40?
I used dubro tail wheel assembly like an inch long and 1/2 in. wheels.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:31 PM
United States, MO, St Robert
Joined Jul 2004
531 Posts
here is my russian p40 flys great. I made mine nice and light with an 860 mah 3 cell flys for 7 min. It flys better with a standard gws 3 blade prop instead of the one the kit came with.
smoothb10 is offline Find More Posts by smoothb10
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:05 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
hallo together,
I would like to introduce my Warhawk of GWS to you with pleasure.
I have selected to me the model flying tiger. The model weighs approx. 690gr.
I have hardened the surface with parquet varnish and silk paper
As an impulse I use a GWS 3008/16 with 2200 3s zippy's and HXT Servo's.
The cockpit must be still built, then follows maiden
Once again I am very contented with the quality of GWS and surprises how simply build his is able
I hope, she likes you

Greetings from germany
chris03 is offline Find More Posts by chris03