SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15
The problem I have with using the current el'cheapo mounts is they are way too flimsy. I just tore out the stick mount in my P-40 and put it in the bottom because I had to switch to using the only ones GWS makes. They only have two holes to mount your motor in, and they are just plain crap for anything over a 300-350 size motor.

The very first grass landing I did with it, the prop came into the grass just a hair and it tore the two screw mounts from the bracket. It dug the prop under, and into my wing. Then tore one of the motor wires from the motor - likely rendering the motor useless. And that was a smooth gentle grass landing.
You must not have used this GWS outrunner mount, then. I use that mount in mine in the lower slot and have never had a bad grass landing. But I build light, so land reasonably "slow", with ESC brake turned off, and use a somewhat flexible GWS 2 bladed DD prop. It always kicks to the side, and if it didn't, I'd expect to break a prop before doing all the damage yours sustained. Must have been a really fast hard landing you had!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 12, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
The only link you posted with free shipping is out of stock.
You must be referring to Advantage Hobby... their shipping says "free", but on orders under $50 they add on a $5 handling charge! Even at that, for me it's still cheaper than the gas to drive to my LHS to get one (if they had one, which they don't).
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 12, 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I just had a look at the Horizon site, and it only says these are temporarily out of production. Do we know for sure that they are discontinued completely?

And yes, a Google search (I included "EFLM1915" in my search) reveals several online shops that still have at least some stock. These may be like the GWS aluminum Slow Stick booms. If you find some, buy them all!

Pat
Hey Pat can you post a link I can't find them. I called Horizon and seems like they are not dealing with that manufacturer anymore. Gws should jump on this, it seems it maybe awhile or never until e flite makes them..These mounts are so versatile.. i'll use the gws round mounts but only because that is all i have, i practically twisted my dad's arm until he took one off his slow stick for me. i like the fact that i don't have to notch the round flange for wires and i don't have to space it out on my bigger motors..
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:26 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
You must not have used this GWS outrunner mount, then.
Nope, I wasn't using that one. I don't think I've ever seen any of the LHS's stock that one.

Quote:
Must have been a really fast hard landing you had!
Quote:
The problem I have with using the current el'cheapo mounts is they are way too flimsy. I just tore out the stick mount in my P-40 and put it in the bottom because I had to switch to using the only ones GWS makes. They only have two holes to mount your motor in, and they are just plain crap for anything over a 300-350 size motor.

The very first grass landing I did with it, the prop came into the grass just a hair and it tore the two screw mounts from the bracket. It dug the prop under, and into my wing. Then tore one of the motor wires from the motor - likely rendering the motor useless. And that was a smooth gentle grass landing.

I was using the e-flite one in the top mount and it worked great. I went through a spell there for a while where the plane just wasn't flying right. I couldn't tell you how many times I have broken props, nose dived and had just plain awful landings, and it held through most of them - finally coming to it's doom into a roof. All that on one e-flight mount, then the GWS one greaks on what could be considered a near perfect landing - causing terminal damage to my motor.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:27 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Quote:
You must be referring to Advantage Hobby... their shipping says "free", but on orders under $50 they add on a $5 handling charge! Even at that, for me it's still cheaper than the gas to drive to my LHS to get one (if they had one, which they don't).
Yup, I missed that one. I saw free shipping and jumped to see if they were in stock.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,678 Posts
Here's some links to places where I still see they have stock:

http://www.hobbyoutlets.com/store/ho...ick-mount.html

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E_Fl...p/eflm1915.htm
(call them though, I was able to add 100 to my cart with no word about exceeding stock)

http://www.rcplanet.com/E_Flite_Outr...p/eflm1915.htm
(same here, call them first to see if they have stock)

http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...umber=EFLM1915

These are the ones I could find in the US that had stock, or were questionable. This is 4 pages back in a Google search with the term "EFLM1915 mount". There were several other entries for the UK and Australia that I did not include or check stock on.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 13, 2009, 05:08 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,401 Posts
Pat,

thank you.

man this EPO stuff is tough. I got my first P 40 up and going again. My elevator trim switch is broken so i have to manually adjust a kink in my push rod, anyway this is giving me fits i just can't dial it in like i want to. TX is a dx6i they said they'll fix it, i just don't want to be without my tx for any amount of time. so first flight today she wants to climb, so i land it make an adjustment. I over adjusted along with a not so good handlaunch. NOSEDIVE DIRT DANCE.. looked like an awful crash, the only thing broken though is the cowl of course and the stick needs glued back in place. I couldn't believe it..worst thing is i need another cowl, what's new..here she is pre crash, she'll be as good as new in no time.

Pat thanks again for the links
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ryramZ; Aug 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:10 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero007
I just ordered the last remaining P40 Cowls from GWS I have 25 available. THese were hard to get and GWS keeps backordering everything like they sell stock and never produce more. I'd like to know if they plan on supplying parts?

gwsprops.com

http://gwsprops.com/gws_p40.htm
Just ordered 4 thanks. 1.50 shipping SWEET!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:22 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
GWS P40 checkered tail. (3 min 36 sec)

After 2 unsuccessful maiden, it flew finally. This is a great plane to fly, looks awesome in the air and very stable even on an inverted flight. Ryramz, just want to share what I did to all my cowls, I tape it with 3M fiberglass tape, it stiffen the cowl and it's crash resistant, I hope it will help. My FW190 and especially this one experienced ugly mishap and my cowl is still in one piece. I'll try to post the crash video of my 2nd flight.

Allan
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Last edited by iscozky; Aug 19, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,401 Posts
Thanks IS, Man the weathering job looks good on your P 40. What motor and setup are you using?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:58 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Thanks IS, Man the weathering job looks good on your P 40. What motor and setup are you using?
Thanks, this is the motor that I use:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=4916

My esc is a 54 amp TB and a 2200 flightmax 25c.

Allan
Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:30 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
GWS P40 2nd maiden flight, turn and burn! (1 min 20 sec)

My 2nd maiden, my plane eats the dust! Truly a tough little bird, the first flight was uglier though!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:00 PM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
Just watched the video above. What was wrong with that plane? It reminds me of my 190's last flight. My 190 flew straight on takeoffs until after its final rebuild. Then it wanted to perform just like that P 40. It wanted to veer to the left before it began to lift off. If you pushed it it would track straight. I checked the main gear and tail wheel. I concluded that after about five serious rebuilds, something was misaligned to make it do that. But that was a maiden flight for that P 40.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:53 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
Cross wind takeoff? Non centered left rudder? motor alignment off pointing to the left?

Just some guessing,
Kevin.

[QUOTE=Condre']Just watched the video above. What was wrong with that plane? It reminds me of my 190's last flight.[QUOTE]
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
Ailerons reversed ?
Pete2 is offline Find More Posts by Pete2