Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:06 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,674 Posts
Hi Hack73,

Probably Caliber sold out this mount. This mount is available in GWS Taiwan, would you contact service@gws.com.tw for applying Lonely Bird program if you need it urgently.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:27 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
I got a Great Planes 3" nylon spinner. Did I get the right thing? It seems really heavy. With a 105 gram motor I can't believe that there is any way this plane will balance properly without placing the battery between the fuselage and the wing.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:49 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Tom & Pat,

GWS do have an aluminum mount available. http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...t/gwemm28a.htm But I do not have any idea about the discontinued E-Flite one.

Chen
Hi Chen,
There are several mounts like that GWS one, but what makes the E-flite mount so very special for GWS planes is that it allows outrunners to be mounted on the regular stick position while keeping the thrust line exactly the same as the stock gearbox. To do this, the motor has to be mounted with the fixed portion to the rear and a shaft extension (5mm dia.) bolted to the front of the rotor. Many outrunners have that capability, but GWS outrunners do not. GWS would do their fans a big favor by making a similar mount now that the one we used is no longer available. Here's a link to that mount design:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1915

There is a 4th hole inside the stick pocket for the 4th bolt that attaches to the motor. Here's a couple of pics to show this:
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:43 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condre'
I got a Great Planes 3" nylon spinner. Did I get the right thing? It seems really heavy. With a 105 gram motor I can't believe that there is any way this plane will balance properly without placing the battery between the fuselage and the wing.
I flew mine with a DuBro 3" 3-blade spinner, GWS 3-blade prop, Scorpion 62g motor and a 3S 2100 lipo pushed all the way back in the battery tray. I was able to achieve CG without adding any weight anywhere.

What motor are you using the weighs 105g? That sucker seems too big!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:53 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
go to caliber hobbies and get the one below the discountinued one. it works for forward and rear mouning just fine. i am using this on my corsair. you have to do a little trimming of outer edge to fit the bigger motors. i see they allso have one for the bigger motors.. these work great.. i think these are the replacements to the old aluminum ones.

http://www.caliberhobby.com/motors_mounts.html
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:06 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,182 Posts
I think the point Tom is trying to get across is that if you have been using the E-Flite mount on the older GWS planes (P-51, Me-109, TM, etc), that mount lines up perfectly with regards to the thrust line as was with the old GWS gearbox setup. If you look at the E-Flite mount, the bottom mount hole is actually in line with the mount stick, and not above it as with the newer mounts.

If you use one of the new metal mounts, or one of the newer GWS plastic mounts for brushless motors, the alignment is then off. The motor sits higher (or lower as the case may be) on the new mount than it does on the E-Flite mount. If you use the new mounts on the old GWS planes, then you actually have to adjust the stick placement in order to get everything to line up properly.

Did I get that right Tom?

Pat
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I think the point Tom is trying to get across is that if you have been using the E-Flite mount on the older GWS planes (P-51, Me-109, TM, etc), that mount lines up perfectly with regards to the thrust line as was with the old GWS gearbox setup. If you look at the E-Flite mount, the bottom mount hole is actually in line with the mount stick, and not above it as with the newer mounts.

If you use one of the new metal mounts, or one of the newer GWS plastic mounts for brushless motors, the alignment is then off. The motor sits higher (or lower as the case may be) on the new mount than it does on the E-Flite mount. If you use the new mounts on the old GWS planes, then you actually have to adjust the stick placement in order to get everything to line up properly.

Did I get that right Tom?

Pat
Yes... thanks, Pat, for a better explanation than I gave! I thought it was fairly obvious, but I guess not.

Before GWS came out with their outrunner plastic mount, I used their 400 motor gearbox frame to do the same thing. When they came out with the special outrunner stick mount frame, it helped slightly by eliminating part of the offset due to the gearbox shaft, but it still required relocating the stick to get the thrust line back to where it would have been with the gearbox. One exception was the Formosa, which put it just about perfect with the 400 gearbox frame in the lower cast slot in the fuse. More recently, the GWS-40 has a lower stick slot that works perfectly with their newer outrunner frame mount. But the other earlier designed planes I've built (TM400, PT-17, E-Starter, etc.) requiring making a new stick slot UNLESS that E-flight mount is used.

FWIW, those Eflite stick mounts are still available from a few less-popular web stores if anyone needs one. Just google for "Eflite stick mount" and you'll find them.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,182 Posts
I just had a look at the Horizon site, and it only says these are temporarily out of production. Do we know for sure that they are discontinued completely?

And yes, a Google search (I included "EFLM1915" in my search) reveals several online shops that still have at least some stock. These may be like the GWS aluminum Slow Stick booms. If you find some, buy them all!

Pat
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I just had a look at the Horizon site, and it only says these are temporarily out of production. Do we know for sure that they are discontinued completely?

And yes, a Google search (I included "EFLM1915" in my search) reveals several online shops that still have at least some stock. These may be like the GWS aluminum Slow Stick booms. If you find some, buy them all!

Pat
I have no idea if they are gone forever or not. But at $4-$5 a pop, GWS could make and sell their own design for half that and steal the show entirely. And with brushless outrunners now the norm, they are especially valuable for anyone using one of those that can be firewall-mounted with an older GWS design.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:33 PM
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
put the mount in the opposite stick hole. i have this knew mount in a corsiar. and yes you are correct as it is differant but works nisley if you put the stick in the other hole.. no mods..
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:00 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
put the mount in the opposite stick hole. i have this knew mount in a corsiar. and yes you are correct as it is differant but works nisley if you put the stick in the other hole.. no mods..

The problem I have with using the current el'cheapo mounts is they are way too flimsy. I just tore out the stick mount in my P-40 and put it in the bottom because I had to switch to using the only ones GWS makes. They only have two holes to mount your motor in, and they are just plain crap for anything over a 300-350 size motor.

The very first grass landing I did with it, the prop came into the grass just a hair and it tore the two screw mounts from the bracket. It dug the prop under, and into my wing. Then tore one of the motor wires from the motor - likely rendering the motor useless. And that was a smooth gentle grass landing.

I was using the e-flite one in the top mount and it worked great. I went through a spell there for a while where the plane just wasn't flying right. I couldn't tell you how many times I have broken props, nose dived and had just plain awful landings, and it held through most of them - finally coming to it's doom into a roof. All that on one e-flight mount, then the GWS one greaks on what could be considered a near perfect landing - causing terminal damage to my motor.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:14 PM
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
is this what you guys are looking for... http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductD...torysingle=YES
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
or mayby this http://www.hobbyoutlets.com/store/ho...ick-mount.html
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
another http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...roductid=73125
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,835 Posts
Just as Pat pointed out, there are several online hobby stores that still stock. That is a royal pain to me though, as I'm not really fond of spending $3+ for shipping for a $5 part, when it's nice for a LHS to be able to get it it stock. The only link you posted with free shipping is out of stock.

I'll not be doing either mount. I am having one of the guys at the shops make me a mount out of some scrap aluminum he has kicking around. The weight will be negligible, and it will be loads stronger. It'll probably be done quicker than I could get one in from online, and the price is very appealing.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15