HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:57 AM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
"WE" --- ????

Ken: When you say "We" does that mean you are employed by GWS ? -- Just curious.

Pete
Pete2 is offline Find More Posts by Pete2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:19 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Not so crazy because the only way that GWS can make a battery cover is to mold a complete airframe. So if we split the airframe into:-

(a) one set of fuselage components
+
(b) one wing and tail plane set

We can then get spares. To mold a whole airframe just to sell one battery cover does not make economic sense.

Ken
None of that should be my problem. work it out. I am the consumer not the manufacturer, it makes economic sense to me to not have to buy more than i need..if all i need is a battery cover i should be able to get it....

i am building my second gws epo p 40 right now and it is just frustrating to not be able to get epo spares without buying the whole thing, so when i need a battery cover that is what i want, what i am forced to get however is a eps fuselage and battery cover....AHHHH
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2009, 10:10 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,202 Posts
More flight video

More flight video, enjoy.
GWS EPO P 40 flight video (4 min 40 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2009, 03:53 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Nice video, it's so stable when you tossed it, I have 2 unsuccesful maiden before I got mine flying, it's a tough bird.
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,656 Posts
Hi RyramZ,

It's great and you made a perfect landing. But it's a little noisy, probably you have to check out if something was not in order, just my two cents.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:59 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi RyramZ,

It's great and you made a perfect landing. But it's a little noisy, probably you have to check out if something was not in order, just my two cents.

Chen
An unbalanced or off-center spinner will do that... even the light foam GWS one. Mine howled until I got it turning true with a backing plate to keep the aft end centered.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:08 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,656 Posts
Hi Tom,

Yes, I think so, too. Hopefully RyramZ could find it out and correct it back, then the motor could work better and draw less currents.

Chen
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Hi RyramZ,

Chen
Hey thanks guys, I'm using a dubro a spinner with a backplate and my shaft is fine, you should see the cowl though it is split and taped up, and to be honest my tape job isn't the best. I think that is what makes the noise. Thanks for the advice guys, my new one is ready for paint very excited, i haven't been able to fly my p40 that is in the video because i broke my motor mount it was the eflite type that is no longer manufactured, so i'm grounded on that one until i find time to do serious modification {ie} add firewall..unfortunately i drilled out the lower stick position to allow air flow around my esc so i can't use the gws motor mount like i am on my new one,
BUMMER, good thing is my new one is almost ready..been flying my gws t6 a lot, also the PT 17 except i have taken off the top wing and fly it like a PT 19, i miss my P 40..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ryramZ; Aug 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:03 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Hello everybody..

This post may be slightly off topic, but i just got to tell someone. i just got off the phone with the people at Horizon Hobby, i am trying to locate the EFLM1915 motor mount, it looks like a 4 leaf clover with the top hole being where the stick goes, anyway these are tough little mounts, and e flite is the brand name. They are no longer in production, i can't believe it, i talked to the sales rep for awhile and ask why things like that, that are so durable aren't available, also while i was at it i mentioned the fact that i could really use a p 47, and maybe a sea fury, i believe they also quit making their p 38..Of course the response is that they must cater to demand and that right now things are going smaller. i said sure but warbirds, these are history, there will always be a demand for them, she said they have a 25" brushless p 40 coming out, i said that's cool but what happens when the demographic switches again, then those guys can't get parts..ANYHOW my point is i wish we could all make a little noise in their direction, i don't think i'm the only one enjoying the 39" wingspan warbirds,GWS has started to do it,PARKZONE is doing it, and E FLITE was doing it, they had the only 39" foam p 47 out there, and i want one...Maybe GWS should bring us a 39" p 47. I'd buy it..
I've started using these now that my supply of E-Flite mounts has dried up:

http://www.bmkdesigns.net/Scorpion-O...nt-pr-178.html

They work great, and they can be bent to give a little thrust adjustment if needed. Plus, with two screw mount holes, I find they stay on the stick mount more securely.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat

They work great, and they can be bent to give a little thrust adjustment if needed. Plus, with two screw mount holes, I find they stay on the stick mount more securely.

Pat
There's several other versions of that mount style, but unfortunately none of them maintain the thrust line of a GWS gearbox. GWS needs to step in and start making some like the discontinued E-Flite mount, but I doubt they will since their outrunners do not have the reverse mounting option (rotor facing forward with bolt-on shaft) like many other outrunners do.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:50 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
That's somewhat true. But the only time I've had the thrust line change though was after a nose in. But like all mishaps, I always check everything over before flying again.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:12 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat

Pat
Pat, thanks a lot. You are a life saver. I am going to order some now. The thing is I have to use them upside down. I'll drill two holes in the top and use the top hole in the clover leaf to go in the end of the stick. My p 40 has the stick in the top position. This is the only way it will work for the top hole, however the low hole will work with that mount used correctly just fine. Thanks again. I use a 480 class motor on my epo p 40 and this will keep me from having to space out the round gws stick mount on my new one as well...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:46 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Storms had me grounded today so I did a little work on the P-40. Painted the spinner, exhaust, and touched up the cracks from the repair. Then I added the decals. I know the markings are not accurate however, I have an R2 unit driving it so I let it go. I still need to dull coat the decals.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Aug 11, 2009, 03:18 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,656 Posts
Hi Tom & Pat,

GWS do have an aluminum mount available. http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...t/gwemm28a.htm But I do not have any idea about the discontinued E-Flite one.

Chen
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
378 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tom & Pat,

GWS do have an aluminum mount available. http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...t/gwemm28a.htm But I do not have any idea about the discontinued E-Flite one.

Chen
Not according to Caliber Hobby. They have them listed as Discontinued:

http://www.caliberhobby.com/motors_mounts.html
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73