HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:07 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Hello everybody..

This post may be slightly off topic, but i just got to tell someone. i just got off the phone with the people at Horizon Hobby, i am trying to locate the EFLM1915 motor mount, it looks like a 4 leaf clover with the top hole being where the stick goes, anyway these are tough little mounts, and e flite is the brand name. They are no longer in production, i can't believe it, i talked to the sales rep for awhile and ask why things like that, that are so durable aren't available, also while i was at it i mentioned the fact that i could really use a p 47, and maybe a sea fury, i believe they also quit making their p 38..Of course the response is that they must cater to demand and that right now things are going smaller. i said sure but warbirds, these are history, there will always be a demand for them, she said they have a 25" brushless p 40 coming out, i said that's cool but what happens when the demographic switches again, then those guys can't get parts..ANYHOW my point is i wish we could all make a little noise in their direction, i don't think i'm the only one enjoying the 39" wingspan warbirds,GWS has started to do it,PARKZONE is doing it, and E FLITE was doing it, they had the only 39" foam p 47 out there, and i want one...Maybe GWS should bring us a 39" p 47. I'd buy it..
More than a little off topic... WAY off topic But I agree with you on one thing... that motor mount is one I use a LOT on GWS models because it allows mounting an outrunner on the stick and keeping the exact same thrust line as a gearbox. GWS should make their own!

Now back to the GWS P-40...
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2009, 09:20 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
yeah, sorry.. gws should make them, sounds like the item is up for grabs to be distributed by somebody,,,i have been waiting for two weeks to get one only to find out they are no longer in production, my p 40 requires one.. unless i do a lot of modification...

the center hole has been hollowed out for airflow so i can't really check to see if the round plastic gws mount will work..

does anyone know if that gws mount will work and still allow the spinner to be properly located, i have a new one in the box, and if it works i may just change out fuses..

thanks guys, ryan
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2009, 11:47 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,524 Posts
Quote:
HEADS UP RC, for just alittle more money you can be done changing shafts for good, their motors can take a beating. they come with a shaft that bolts on to the housing, i think it is 5mm, they never bend even after nose dives, 2 dollar shipping, 400 class motor is around 18 dollars, 450 is 20...the shafts for the motors you are using are about 3 dollars a piece plus shipping and the time it takes.. i used to change them all the time...I do not work for HEADSUPRC.COM i just can't believe how good the prices are, also quick shipping from here in the U.S. click on detailed description after you have selected the motor you are interested in and lo and behold they provide a detailed spread sheet about how that motor will perform with what prop, amp draw, pitch speed and so on.. they also sell 2409 motors and replacement shafts....
they dont sell the version of the motor I have

they sell the first motor and a replacement shaft for it when I have the second one, I already ordered the incorrect shaft from a UK supplier now and then a whole new motor so I got 2 of these motors here so dont really want to change brand just yet and buy a 3rd
MrBen. is online now Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Aug 05, 2009, 01:09 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
yeah, sorry.. gws should make them, sounds like the item is up for grabs to be distributed by somebody,,,i have been waiting for two weeks to get one only to find out they are no longer in production, my p 40 requires one.. unless i do a lot of modification...

the center hole has been hollowed out for airflow so i can't really check to see if the round plastic gws mount will work..

does anyone know if that gws mount will work and still allow the spinner to be properly located, i have a new one in the box, and if it works i may just change out fuses..

thanks guys, ryan
The GWS mount will only give proper motor alignment if the stick is in the lower slot near the center of the fuse with the motor on top.
Old Aug 05, 2009, 03:59 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Hi est1976

I have the second (non bell) type motor but to be honest I have used any 3mm shaft I can get. The shafts from the bell type of 2409 do fit, you just end up cutting off the front threaded section. I beleive this is the correct shaft, but check the indented slots just to be sure
http://www.rcmdirect.co.uk/store/ind...roducts_id=421

I have put a plastic spinner on the front of mine and this looks great and this also helps the forward cog

nick

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Aug 05, 2009, 07:53 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
The GWS mount will only give proper motor alignment if the stick is in the lower slot near the center of the fuse with the motor on top.
thanks Tom,
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2009, 12:25 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,013 Posts
Ryram I agree totally on the lack of ~40" ws warbirds and that is what attracts me to GWS' products. If the market goes to 25" or less I guess I'll have to build my own because my 35" GWS ME-109 is as small as i am going to get.

As for the P-40, I got my replacement cowls from gwsprops but have yet to put one on it. I did tape up the old one on the broken side and flew it today without any incident. It flew awesome. Just neede a bit more attention on the throw etc.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Aug 07, 2009, 12:27 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Ryram I agree totally on the lack of ~40" ws warbirds and that is what attracts me to GWS' products. If the market goes to 25" or less I guess I'll have to build my own because my 35" GWS ME-109 is as small as i am going to get.

As for the P-40, I got my replacement cowls from gwsprops but have yet to put one on it. I did tape up the old one on the broken side and flew it today without any incident. It flew awesome. Just neede a bit more attention on the throw etc.

Regards,
Alan
Alan good to hear your flight went well, yeah i'll tape up those cowls until they fall apart..here are two threads talking about soon to be released 40 + WS warbirds...pretty exciting stuff, there will always be us guys who want the biggest thing that can fit in the car..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078974
the above thread is about a DAUNTLESS and the next a SKYRAIDER http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1084380
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2009, 03:14 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero007
I just ordered the last remaining P40 Cowls from GWS I have 25 available. THese were hard to get and GWS keeps backordering everything like they sell stock and never produce more. I'd like to know if they plan on supplying parts?

gwsprops.com

http://gwsprops.com/gws_p40.htm
Everything came today. Thank you for the great deal. I've already had the cargotrans up with all of the packs I have for it. The P-40 on the other hand, that's going to take some more work to get it in the air........again.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Aug 07, 2009, 06:57 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
I thought you gentlemen might like to read the recent mail I sent Caliber Hobbies:

Subject: "You lose again !"

"Dear person of interest:

Just thought you would like to know that you just lost another order to one of your competitors, As I told you before, I like your site and use it often as a source of information, but I refuse to pay your exorbitant shipping fees. In the past 3 years I have spent over $5000 on GWS parts and planes etc. You will never get another cent from me or many of my compatriot and dedicated modelers.

With hopes of bringing you to your senses,

Pete"
Pete2 is offline Find More Posts by Pete2
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:06 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2004
188 Posts
Motor mounting revisited.

Here ya go !
Pete2 is offline Find More Posts by Pete2
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete2
I thought you gentlemen might like to read the recent mail I sent Caliber Hobbies:

Subject: "You lose again !"

"Dear person of interest:

Just thought you would like to know that you just lost another order to one of your competitors, As I told you before, I like your site and use it often as a source of information, but I refuse to pay your exorbitant shipping fees. In the past 3 years I have spent over $5000 on GWS parts and planes etc. You will never get another cent from me or many of my compatriot and dedicated modelers.

With hopes of bringing you to your senses,

Pete"
Love it! Unfortunately, nobody there, or with GWS in a position to influence what Caliber Hobby does, gives a hoot.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 11:38 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Love it! Unfortunately, nobody there, or with GWS in a position to influence what Caliber Hobby does, gives a hoot.

GWS should offer their catalog of replacement parts to a company that can be reasonable about shipping...surely GWS isn't bound by CALIBER..so many smaller companies sell GWS birds.. I bet they would love a share of the action on replacement parts..lets face it anyone flying GWS is a builder and is totally capable of keeping planes at the ready, all we need is a steady supply of parts without getting robbed.. i would like a battery cover without having to buy the whole fuselage as well for 14 bucks plus 10 shipping, that's a 24 dollar batt cover CRAZY, built my last one out of blue foam..
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2009, 05:17 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
i would like a battery cover without having to buy the whole fuselage as well for 14 bucks plus 10 shipping, that's a 24 dollar batt cover CRAZY, built my last one out of blue foam..
Not so crazy because the only way that GWS can make a battery cover is to mold a complete airframe. So if we split the airframe into:-

(a) one set of fuselage components
+
(b) one wing and tail plane set

We can then get spares. To mold a whole airframe just to sell one battery cover does not make economic sense.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Aug 08, 2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:10 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,640 Posts
Hi RyramZ,

This is the list regarding spare parts of most GWS airplanes. http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...rfly_price.htm

All dealers and your LHS's are welcome to place orders with GWS USA or even GWS HQ in Taiwan for ordering these parts.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN